• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX in "Great Condition"

I was going through the "NSX for sale" section and noticed how everyone seems to think their car is a 10 out of 10 in looks and condition. I hate to say it but if your car is 10+ years old than there is not way the car is in excellent condition barring a complete rebuild and repaint. It is funny to me how every ad posts some claim of how their car is the best looking NSX around. I guess it is probably just sales talk to get interest stirred up but I don't think helps matters when someone sees the car in person and figures out it isn't as nice looking as the ad suggested. Most of the NSX's I have seen in person were in the B to B+ category.

In terms of paint chips I'd put my 91 NSX up against any 08 BMW with 5k miles on it. Also the NSX has zero orange peel.

Most Ferraris, Nsx's and Lamborghinis 10-15 years old are presentable 9-10 condition when the owners have records and the cars are clean. I will put my car against most 2004-05s on the road in terms of cleanliness and authority. :biggrin:

I'm with you on this one....My 91 has 40k miles on it, no dings, no scratches and the paint could hold its own against a 2008 car, and my car AIN'T for sale :tongue: . My last NSX was a 94 with 5k miles on it when I got it and 14k miles when I sold it. It was SHOWROOM condition. Possibly you just have bad luck with the ones you've looked at. What price range and mileage have you been looking at?

In terms of paint chips I'd put my 91 NSX up against any 08 BMW with 5k miles on it. Also the NSX has zero orange peel.

the paint job they put on those cars from the factory was one of the reasons those cars were bringing 80grand+ back in 91 and people were serious about keeping them clean

I too agree there are a lot of perfect NSX examples out there. Well taken care of and pampered. I know mine was in excellent condition when I sold it with almost 25K miles on it.

Of course there are those out there who describe a "clean car" as one they ran through an automatic car wash....

Also it may be 10 out of 10 for the year/make/model vehicle.

Of course any 10+ year old car is going to show some wear.

That is what I mean. Unless the seller redid his interior with new leather or similar it won't be a 10 of 10 for me. Even a 9/10 means the leather is hardly worn or brand new and the interior is free from any defects. I saw a 97 that looked great from far away but up close you could see several items that needed extra work to fix up. I am simply saying that a lot of people throw out a 9.5/10 or perfect looking car a little too loosely. Some NSX's are very close to a 9/10 but I think most are in the 7-8 range. A 10 of 10 to me says the car should like it was a brand new car. If you can't say that about your car than you should avoid using 10's on your car.

You obviously don't own a NSX. My "OLD" 13 year old NSX is in better shape then my 2005 cadillac. Shit, My NSX is black and still looks like a brand new car.

My NSX has never been in the rain either, well, it got lightly rained on last week driving out to get a valve job. So I had a complete interior/exterior detail on it.:biggrin:

Deff. NOT typical for normal car guys even.

its all RELATIVE, but a car's condition being described as pristine or average is in context to its age. you cant take the term literally, otherwise a car is no longer "10 out of 10" driven off the lot even after a minute of being brand-new.

I was going through the "NSX for sale" section and noticed how everyone seems to think their car is a 10 out of 10 in looks and condition. I hate to say it but if your car is 10+ years old than there is not way the car is in excellent condition barring a complete rebuild and repaint. It is funny to me how every ad posts some claim of how their car is the best looking NSX around. I guess it is probably just sales talk to get interest stirred up but I don't think helps matters when someone sees the car in person and figures out it isn't as nice looking as the ad suggested. Most of the NSX's I have seen in person were in the B to B+ category.

Have you been to any online dating sites?? lol talk about false advertising:tongue:

Last edited:
Personally, those that are as anal as I am in caring for a car (supra2nv? :biggrin: ) are those NSX owners who have a hard time parting with it. At least for the NSXers that I know personally...

You won't see mine for sale anytime soon, and I give mine a 9.9! :smile:

Personally, those that are as anal as I am in caring for a car (supra2nv? :biggrin: ) are those NSX owners who have a hard time parting with it. At least for the NSXers that I know personally...

You won't see mine for sale anytime soon, and I give mine a 9.9! :smile:

lol, only a 9.9??? you must have meant it has 990 miles lol....

off topic, but my battery is hooked up to a charger as we speak!!!! going to take her out for a drive tonight, great weather :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm sure there are some great looking older NSX models out there. My point is not that the car is in bad shape but rather the 10 point scale is misleading. You never give out the perfect score figuring that there could always be something better to come along. Therefore anyone who throws out the idea their car is a ten makes me immediately suspect of what they think. A 9 is top number in my book or a 9.5 to be really accurate. No, I don't own a NSX but this goes with all cars. If you take a car off the lot it very rarely holds the same characteristics as a brand new car. The new car smell, clean seats and flawless windows with no scratches is on the way to a 9.5. If the car has paint chips on the front bumber I would have to deduct for that also. No car is perfect. I wouldn't give out the 10 score to any car I guess.

I am with you on this one as well and I do own an 08 BMW. People can easily rack up 20k miles in first year of ownership on normal cars. Year and age do play an factor with the condition of a car, but the bigger factor is how the owner takes care of the car.

9 out of 10 times the 20k mile Bimmer that see everyday traffic is in no way better condition than a 17 year old car with 20k pleasure miles.

I agree. People miss the fact that a '10 out of 10' car is a NEW CAR!! If your car is used at all, you are not a perfect 10. You may be a string 9, but by using a car you HAVE to wear some of it and leave traces of use. :cool:

My NSX has never been in the rain either, well, it got lightly rained on last week driving out to get a valve job. So I had a complete interior/exterior detail on it.:biggrin:

Deff. NOT typical for normal car guys even.

Having seen Mike's car, I can testify to the accuracy of his statements.

My black 96 has seen rain once that I know of, but upon "viewing" is thought by co-workers to be a 1-2 year old car until I explain the facts of life.

Of course, I cheated, too; it has a new driver's side seat in 2005.

If you get the Body and Paint manual for the NSX (got one), you can see in the paint processes they use that this is a pretty specially prepared car. Holds up unusually well.

If you rate a new car a 10, then what of those that has been test driven hard?

We all know that most people who advertise a car that is a 10, wants the car to be checked out. They might be even claiming it’s a 10 for this very purpose. It works too or else we would not be having this discussion.

Most NSXs out there will be in a used condition, so a "10" claim in my opinion would be relative to other used NSXs out there. Bottom line, this is very subjective.

I can claim that my car has never seen rain because I ordered mine new from Acura, and literally watch the car being unloaded and transported to the dealer. I was there when the PPI occurred, and took official delivery of it immediately (Jon Martin made this all possible).

The car was clear bra'ed immediately and rarely driven (less than 900 miles to date). I still service the car at the exact time intervals, and all the factory tags on the shift knob and the one hanging out of the glove box are still there, just like a new car.

I don’t know how you can claim a car has never seen rain if you are not the 1st owner, and did not go through what I went though. Even a new car sitting at a dealership outdoors has the possibility of seeing rain.

I never liked using a 10 point scale, so if one day I were to sell my car, I would just take the time to explain in detail the condition it is in. I might even make a claim that it is as close to a brand new car as you can get.

Last edited:
I agree. People miss the fact that a '10 out of 10' car is a NEW CAR!! If your car is used at all, you are not a perfect 10. You may be a string 9, but by using a car you HAVE to wear some of it and leave traces of use. :cool:

Even new cars may have light damage that have some paint reconditioning by the dealers and sold as new cars. My neighboor purchased a new BMW and it their report it clearly says "1-3 inchs paint on front lower bumper" Yet its sold as new condition etc.

My Nsx had a worn volume control button and very slight wear on driver seat bolster and light swirle marks which could be buffed easy, I guess that is a 9-10.

I have a 95 -t for sale on this site and I describe it as in excellant condition. You appararently don't know anything about NSX paint etc. The car has a 27 (Ithink) paint process and after 13 years mine looks very nice and very shiny it is still bright red of course there are a few rock chips about 1-2 mm but from 2-3 feet you can't even see them. Go take a look at some of our older NSXs and I think you will change your tune.

Even new cars may have light damage that have some paint reconditioning by the dealers and sold as new cars. My neighboor purchased a new BMW and it their report it clearly says "1-3 inchs paint on front lower bumper" Yet its sold as new condition etc.

My Nsx had a worn volume control button and very slight wear on driver seat bolster and light swirle marks which could be buffed easy, I guess that is a 9-10.

Just to add to this, even some NSXs have factory defects. Sadly to say I think the weather stripping under the driver side window of my car is slightly uneven on my car, and it annoys the heck out of me!

Back