• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX iPod installation using USA*Spec adapter

136-3687_IMG.jpg

Since the iPod subject comes up fairly often and because I have upgraded my own installation in the NSX I have made a new step by step photo tutorial:
click here for the tutorial

The new tutorial uses the USA*Spec Aux Interface adapter in place of the FM modulator in the previous tutorial. The USA*Spec device is approximately $50-$60 at your local Circuit City store. There is more explanation of its features in the tutorial itself. Enjoy!

The audio quality through the interface is as good as the factory CD changer and there is capability for an additional input in the future (XM/Sirius, GPS, etc).

For those that want to use a wired FM modulator instead (as demonstrated in the old tutorial) here is the link:
click here for the old tutorial

Actually looking at the shcematic I've may have discovered a new option for those who are interested!

If you are unsure of having to open up the dash you could probably mount the USA*Spec in the trunk next to the OEM changer or by your SmarTenna and run a longer stereo mini to RCA cable into the passenger compartment. The factory CD changer DIN cable runs into the trunk so you could access it there. Then just follow the rest of the tutorial as far as installing the Belkin adapter and iPod.

It is possible that with this technique the SmarTenna may still function.

However, I have not tried this so I cannot guarantee that it will work.

P.S. You do NOT have to buy one of the expensive "iPOD specific" stereo mini cables for the installation, the regular cheap cables work just the same. You can get them anywhere: WalMart, BestBuy, a dollar store. They are $2.00 @ monoprice.com (look up item # 665)

Last edited:
Just wanted to move this post back up as an FYI to those looking for an alternative to the Blitzsafe. Especially for those who do not have a CD changer or do not care to continue using it after installing another device.

Advantages of the USA*Spec over the BlitzSafe:
1) Available at your local CircuitCity
2) Option to add up to two separate stereo audio devices (iPod AND GPS, etc)
3) Less expensive
4) Easy to switch between inputs (track forward on the head unit switches between inputs 1 and 2).

Disadvantages:
1) Not able to control iPod directly through the head unit. Must use iPod controls or an iPod remote.
2) No longer able to use CD changer.

awesome post. i've been thinking about doing something like this since I'm totally addicted to my Ipod now.

Will this work with other Ipods? I've got the bigger, 60 gb model.

Thanks again.

This does work great...I installed the USA Spec adapter in the trunk. I removed my CD and I just leave the Ipod in the trunk area and I now have all that additional area in the trunk. Two weeks ago I also installed the Terk XM and ran it though the adapter using the RCA plugs and that works great as well. Much better than using the FM modulator option.

Da Hapa said:
awesome post. i've been thinking about doing something like this since I'm totally addicted to my Ipod now.

Will this work with other Ipods? I've got the bigger, 60 gb model.

Thanks again.

It will work with any/all of the iPods and any other MP3 player as well. Since it is purely a auxillary input adapter for the factory stereo your imagination is the only limit to its use. Some options may include audio from a Playstation, DVD player, GPS, car PC, cell phone, or XM/Sirius. The biggest advantage of choosing the USA*Spec other than low cost is having the two separate inputs so that you can have more than 1 device because who knows what you will want to add in the future! The useage is seamless and has none of the problematic "button sequences" necessary with the other devices mentioned on these forums.

P.S. When I made the tutorial I was using a 3rd Generation iPod as seen in the tutorial photos. I have since purchased a black 30gb Video iPod strictly for use in the NSX... it better matches the "black" decor of the interior :tongue:. No modifications were necessary to the original installation - just "plug and play"!!!! The iPod is loaded up with dozens of NSX related video clips so that passengers get a little "NSX show" when they ride along (I make them watch it :rolleyes:).

Motegi said:
The iPod is loaded up with dozens of NSX related video clips so that passengers get a little "NSX show" when they ride along (I make them watch it :rolleyes:).

hahaha that is too funny. Do you give them a test afterwards too? make sure they know what the difference between NA1 and NA2 is?! :biggrin:

Great post BTW, this will be one of my first mods.

Motegi said:
The new tutorial uses the USA*Spec Aux Interface adapter in place of the FM modulator in the previous tutorial.
Thanks a lot for the write up.

So by using the USA Spec Aux Interface adapter, the audio quality has nothing to do with FM reception? Sorry for the stupid question. I asking becuase my radio has very poor reception. I have tried FM modulator in the past, reception is very static.

Is this install very much a fool proof install? I will like to pay a shop to do it, but I never had any good experience with stereo shops. Poor alarm installing experience in both NSX and Supra + terrible stereo installation in my Supra. 0 for 3 so far at 3 different shops.

I am thinking about printing out your instruction and just purchase the IPOD Nano in black to match the interior and USA*Spec Aux Interface adapter at Circuit City and have them perform the installation at the same time.

the USA Spec adapter plugs into the CD chain using a DIN connector- no FM connector.

FM is not an issue

:tongue:

TURBO2GO said:
hahaha that is too funny. Do you give them a test afterwards too? make sure they know what the difference between NA1 and NA2 is?! :biggrin:

Hmmm... thats a good idea!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

nsxsupra said:
I am thinking about printing out your instruction and just purchase the IPOD Nano in black to match the interior and USA*Spec Aux Interface adapter at Circuit City and have them perform the installation at the same time.

RichM is correct. The installation per my tutorial has NOTHING to do with the FM radio. It will sound as good as your factory CD changer depending of course on the quality of the MP3s in your iPod. Theoretically you could take the USA*Spec device and plug a portable CD player into one of the AUX RCA inputs and have real CD sound. There is no FM modulation involved at all with the USA@Spec.

In terms of installation it is really VERY easy to do as long as you can follow the step-by-step photos in my tutorial and know how to use a screwdriver.

As for the case for the iPod. The Xtremity case is no longer made (there are a few left on eBay) so you will have to find another option. Luckily there are thousands of choices available. Once you find a case, I strongly recommend the Panavise bracket since it is custom engineered for the NSX and provides a nice flat surface for mounting the iPod next to the console and within easy reach. Some people prefer hiding the iPod from sight but it will preclude its use as a photo or video display. Also all song access is via the iPod controls so I think that placing it in a glove box or other location would be ergonomically detrimental.

Thanks Motegi and RichM,

I did stopped by Circuit City to look for the USA Spec adapter this afternoon, they have the ones for Honda, BMW, and Ford in stock.

On back of the Honda USA Spec adapter, it had a list of cars that are compatible with the unit including Acura CL, RL, but no NSX. Is there a specific one that I need to get for NSX.

nsxsupra said:
Thanks Motegi and RichM,

I did stopped by Circuit City to look for the USA Spec adapter this afternoon, they have the ones for Honda, BMW, and Ford in stock.

On back of the Honda USA Spec adapter, it had a list of cars that are compatible with the unit including Acura CL, RL, but no NSX. Is there a specific one that I need to get for NSX.

No the Honda version is the one for the NSX even though it isn't listed on the label. The model number is DF-HON. It is the one listed to be compatible with the Acura Legend/Vigor 91-97, and Integra 92-01.

Has anyone actually tried the P11-HON made by USA*SPEC instead of the DF-HON? Can you hook up the round DIN connector in the trunk (formerly controlling the CD player) and play the IPOD using your radio controls. I have a '98 NSX with a stock radio and an aftermarked Alpine CD changer in the trunk. It connects to the radio via a round DIN cable.
Thanks
Teek

PM Motegi... maybe he can repost. I would like to have these too as I still have not done anything with the factory blows system.

repost pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!:biggrin:

Hmmm .. it was there just a few days ago!
This is from Google cache ... everything but the pics;

NSX iPOD upgrade

(hard-wired direct input method)

Click here for the simplified wiring plan
TIME: moderate

SUPPLIES: iPod or iPod mini; Belkin iPod auto kit; USA*Spec Aux Interface (DF-HON model); Panavise NSX dash mount 75119-498; XtremeMac Xtremity iPod case; RCA to mini audio adapter cable; automotive 12 volt outlet socket; philips screwdriver; two index cards; a butter knife or other stiff and flat material.

Introduction

The Apple iPod is currently the most popular digital music player on the market. In its various forms it can hold thousands of tracks and play many hundreds of hours of continuous music.

Because of its popularity several OEM brands such as BMW and VW and many aftermarket audio manufacturers have devised ways of integrating the ipod with car audio systems.

Adding an iPod to the OEM Acura stereo can be done in any number of ways.

The simplest method would be to use a wireless FM transmitter connected to the iPods headphone jack. The transmitter acts as a "mini radio station" and broadcasts the audio signal over the air to the stereo's FM antenna. The supplies would cost under $50 and would take only minutes to assemble. One of the advantages would be that this would be easily transferrable between different vehicles. However the audio quality would be the poorest of the methods.

Another very simple method is to use a wired audio cassette adapter. The cassette would be inserted into the cassette deck and the wire connected to the iPods audio out jack. Again the supplies would cost less than $50, would take only minutes to assemble, and would be esily transferrable. The audio quality would be limited by the cassette adapter to cassette head connection quality.

The final method would be to use an adapter such as the USA*Spec Aux Interface (used in this tutorial) or one of the more expensive offerings from BlitzSafe or iceLink. These devices tap into the OEM head unit's CD changer cable port. This method should provide the best audio quality but might prevent use of the OEM changer. The installation time and finished appearance should be the same as the FM modulator method.

The USA*Spec device is about$50-$60 at your local Circuit City. You will want to get the one labeled DF-HON. This device is better than the other direct wired options since it provides up to 2 separate stereo inputs. This is perfect if you want to add your iPod plus an additional input from items like GPS, XM/Sirius, etc.

Included with the USA*Spec is a DIN cable used to connect with the OEM Acura head unit.

The main drawback of this device is that the factory CD changer cable must be disconnected and will disable the Smartenna if you have one.

Mounting the iPod onto the dashboard can be done with a custom Panavise mounting bracket (model number 75119-498). The Panavise mounts onto the dash using the screws that hold the climate control unit onto the center stack. This multipurpose bracket can be used for a variety of purposes including cell phone holders, GPS devices, or PDAs.

In conjunction with this bracket I have chosen to use an XtremeMac Xtremity iPod case. This is a multifunction case with several attachments that allow it to be used with an included belt clip or dash mount.

The dash mount attachment is held to the Panavise bracket with the included double sided tape. The iPod can be placed onto and removed from the Panavise without having to remove it from the Xtremity case.

Step 1

The parts

Belkin Auto Kit
Panavise bracket
Xtremity case

Not pictured

Apple iPod
Stereo mini to RCA cable
Automotive 12 volt outlet socket
USA*Spec Aux Interface

Step 2

Remove the clock from the top of the dash by placing your fingers into the clock opening and pulling straight out. It may take some force but it will slide straight out. You will need to unplug the cable behind the clock and set the clock unit aside in a safe location. Now remove the two screws at the top of the air vents.

Step 3

Push two stacked index cards in between the air vent trim and the center console trim just above the climate control knob labeled "AUTO". Taking care not to scratch the dash insert a butter knife (or other blunt flat object) between the index cards while pulling out on the air vents. There is a spring clip that needs to be released with the knife. When the clip is released the trim should pull forward slightly. Now remove the knife and move the index cards to the other side and repeat the same process and remove the air vents. There are two screws behind the AC vent trim that need to be removed.

Step 4

Next remove the arm rest storage box by lifing the metal plate on the floor of the box. This will expose 4 screws which when removed will allow the entire storage box to be lifted out. You should then be able to remove the screw as shown on the right.

Now pull straight down on the boot collar attached to the shift knob. The boot should release and the knob can be unscrewed and set aside.

Set the parking brake.

Step 5

Remove the ashtray and take out the two screws in the opening

Step 6

Carefully lift and remove the center console trim and set it aside. Reattach the shift knob to cover the threads so they wont scratch the stereo.

Now loosen and remove the 4 screws holding the climate control unit to the dash.

There are two screws exposed above and two screws recessed below the climate control display.

Pull the control unit forward and remove the two cables attached to the back. Set the control unit aside.

Step 7

Next remove the 4 screws holding the stereo head unit to the dash and gently pull it forward a few inches.

You do not need to remove all of the wire connections from the back of the head unit.

Reach behind and detach just the CD changer DIN cable

Assemble the USA*Spec interface by attaching the non-capped end of the supplied DIN cable to the "To Radio" side of the interface.

Step 8

Remove the rubber cap from the other end of the USA*Spec DIN cable and plug the cable into the DIN socket at the back of the head unit.

Connect the RCA leads from the RCA to stereo mini adapter cable into the Audio Input #1 of the USA*Spec interface.

Conceal the USA*Spec in the dash to the right of the head unit.

Step 9

Remove the plastic passenger footwell trim (below the glovebox). There are two screws along the lower edge and three metal clips along the front. Once the screws are removed and the clips are released you will need to detach a wire harness from the plastic trim so that you can move it out of the way.

As shown on the right, I have chosen to attach an extra +12V outlet to the bottom of this trim piece using plastic cable ties. To do this you can tap into the factory cigarette outlet wires or install a dedicated +12 volt wire from the drivers footwell fusebox. To this socket I have attached the Belkin iPod Auto Kit.

Pass the stereo mini jack end of the adapter cable from step 8 through to the passenger footwell and plug it into the Belkin.. Turn the gain to 100% on the Belkin amp.

Now run the iPod dock connector cable from the Belkin Auto Kit into the left side of the glove box and reinstall the footwell trim piece.

Step 10

Reinstall the other screws for the stereo head unit.

You can now test the connections and make sure that everything is working before proceeding with the reassembly. Just plug in the iPod, turn on the stereo, it the AM/FM button in the dial to the right until "6-1" appears on the display. This indicates that the USA*Spec was selected (head unit thinks that it is disc 6) and that the interface's input #1 is being used. If you hit the track forward or back buttons you can toggle between sources 1 and 2.

Now start playing songs on the iPod. You should hear the music playing through the factory stereo. If not you may need to recheck the wire/cable connections.

Move to the next step once all of the connections are verified and the music can be heard.

Step 11

Install the Panavise bracket and reattach the climate control unit. Note: the passenger side upper and lower screws for the climate control will hold the Panavise bracket in place.

Next remove the shift knob and reinstall the center console trim. Then reattach the shift knob and the shift boot.

Now reinstall the A/C vent trim and the clock unit.

Step 12

Clean the Panavise bracket surface using a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on a clean cloth.

Attach the Xtremity case dash mount to the Panavise bracket using the included double sided tape.

Step 13

Attach the iPod in the Xtremity case to the dash mount and connect the Belkin Auto Kit dock connector cable to the bottom and the installation is complete!

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT OPERATE THE IPOD FUNCTIONS WHILE DRIVING AS IT MAY IMPAIR YOUR CONCENTRATION AND MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOURSELF AND OTHERS.

Additional photos:

image 1
image 2
image 3

Previous Page | Back to Main

Sorry guys!

My DNS server was having trouble a few weeks ago and so I had to go with a different service. As a result all my site links have changed. I will try to get everything tied together more cohesively with regard to the NSX related info and make it accessible from a single index page.

The link above starting with www.legendtuner.com is now the correct link!

Good luck!

tkamrin said:
Has anyone actually tried the P11-HON made by USA*SPEC instead of the DF-HON? Can you hook up the round DIN connector in the trunk (formerly controlling the CD player) and play the IPOD using your radio controls. I have a '98 NSX with a stock radio and an aftermarked Alpine CD changer in the trunk. It connects to the radio via a round DIN cable.
Thanks
Teek

Yes, it appears that the P11-HON would work as well. You will not retain use of your CD changer however.

The advantage of the P11 over the DF unit is more control over the iPod functions and the integrated iPod dock cable connector. The disadvantage is the $90 price difference. Both connect to the factory head unit via the CD changer DIN cable. Both would have an extra audio connection in addition to the iPod input. The DF unit requires the use of a 1/8 inch stereo mini to dual RCA cable or a iPod dock to audio out adapter (the Belkin unit was used in the tutorial).

I hooked my USA Spec df-hon to my trunk DIN connector (round connector) on my 1998 NSX. Connected my Ipod through the headphone jack but the sound on one side was garbeled, soft, and had kind of a reverb sound. The other door was fine. When I removed one of the rca connectors (white) and left the other (red) intack the sound was fine in BOTH door speakers. When I removed the red connector and left the white connected it would play fine through one door but nothing from the other. I tried reversing the wires (red to white, etc) but no fix. I tried the second channel and had the same problem. Did you have this problem? I also returned my unit for another one but had the same problem.
Thanks for any help you might have.
Teek

I forgot to mention in my previous post then I used the round DIN connector in the TRUNK not the in dash method directly to the radio. Would that make a difference. ( garbeled sound in driver door speaker, good sound in passenger speaker.)

Back