• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX iPod installation using USA*Spec adapter

In order to get great sound out of both door speakers I connected my Ipod to the USA Spec DF HON via a stereo miniplug into the ipod and soldered the cable so that it was monaural at both the left and right RCA plug outputs. I connected only 1 RCA output to the USA Spec input and for some reason that plays perfectly through both door speakers. Unfortunately it plays only in monaural but the sound is excellent. My USA Spec is located in the trunk and connects to my CD player cable.

AdnanVCS said:
what is the difference between a USA spec iPod and the rest of the world???

USA*Spec is the name of a company that produces an adapter that allows you to use the factory stereo CD changer connection as an aux audio input. This adapter can be used to connect the iPod to the factory stereo.

There is no big difference between iPods sold in america versus the rest of the world.

tkamrin said:
In order to get great sound out of both door speakers I connected my Ipod to the USA Spec DF HON via a stereo miniplug into the ipod and soldered the cable so that it was monaural at both the left and right RCA plug outputs. I connected only 1 RCA output to the USA Spec input and for some reason that plays perfectly through both door speakers. Unfortunately it plays only in monaural but the sound is excellent. My USA Spec is located in the trunk and connects to my CD player cable.

It would seem as there would be a better solution than this. It may be that there is a channel cross over somewhere in the factory cabling from the head unit to the trunk. It appears that this is the same reason that an aftermarket Alpine CD changer will not work properly with the factory stereo without the adapter cable (Acu-Alp cable). You might try purchasing one of these cables at Circuit City or online. There is more info in the NSXprime FAQ about this issue under the heading of CD changer upgrades.

I think it would be easier to just wire the USAspec to the head unit at the dash and avoid all of these problems.

Motegi said:
... It may be that there is a channel cross over somewhere in the factory cabling from the head unit to the trunk. It appears that this is the same reason that an aftermarket Alpine CD changer will not work properly with the factory stereo without the adapter cable (Acu-Alp cable). ....
There is not a cross-over in the cable - the crossover is in the head unit.

D'Ecosse said:

I am not talking about a "crossover" in the audio related meaning of the word, i.e. a device that routes different frequencies to woofers/midranges/tweeters.

I am instead using the word "crossover" like you would if referring to an ethernet cable. Otherwise how would you explain the vastly different outcome of wiring the USAspec adapter in the trunk (to the OEM CD changer cable) versus behind the dash (bypassing the OEM CD changer cable).

It was merely a suggestion to try the Acu-alp cable adapter in the trunk to see if resolves the audio issue which seems similar to me to when a alpine changer is used without the adapter.

Has anyone tried this product? I have a a 2002, but it looks like it will work on all years.
http://www.mp3yourcar.com/product_info.php?products_id=47

The iPod2Car (PXHCH2) connects any iPod directly to the factory car stereo system and is fully compatible with the 2002 Acura NSX. It provides users with CD Quality Sound, iPod Power and Charging, and Track Control from the factory radio and steering wheel. There is no better way to use an iPod in the Car.

How it Works
The iPod2Car (PXHCH2) connects your iPod directly the factory stereo system, giving you the CD Quality Sound you have been looking for from your iPod in the car. No FM adapter can compare to the digital sound quality of the iPod2Car (PXHCH2) "direct-connection" iPod car adapter. It is guaranteed to have absolutely no static or distortion.

In addition to the high quality audio, the iPod2Car (PXHCH2) allows you to control your music using both the iPod itself, as well controls on the factory car radio and steering wheel (if available). The Track Previous / Next buttons can be used to change songs on the iPod just as if you were pressing the track next buttons on the iPod itself.

The iPod2Car (PXHCH2) powers and charges the iPod so you never have to worry about charging your iPod before you can using it in the car.

All of the Sound, Track Control, and Charging are done from a single cable connected to the bottom of the iPod, giving you the cleanest and most discreet look possible. The iPod2Car (PXHCH2) works with any iPod that has the standard iPod connection on the bottom.

Installation
The iPod2Car (PXHCH2) plugs directly into the back of the radio in a 2002 Acura NSX without any cutting or splicing wires. You can install the adapter yourself, or take it to any local car stereo shop, mechanic, or dealership to have put in.

The adapter box itself is small and sits in open area behind the radio. A single cable runs from the adapter box to the iPod. This cable is very long and can be routed to wherever you would like to have the iPod in the vehicle. Any excess cable is stowed away out of sight.

The iPod2Car (PXHCH2) comes with everything you need to connect your iPod to your Car. No additionl cables or equipment are neccessary. If you have a CD Changer located in trunk or glovebox it will need to be disabled to use the iPod.

I think I've seen that at BestBuy or CircuitCity. It seems to be a viable option.

It serves the same purpose as my installation with the addition of being able to control a few functions via the factory head unit.

The advantages I still see with the USAspec are that it costs $90 less and has 2 separate selectable stereo inputs that are not limited to iPod only use. Theoretically when the "next" new music/GPS/etc device comes along it will be a simple plug and play with the USAspec. The iPod2Car seems limited to iPod use only.

Last edited:
Where do we get the Panvice bracket?

It may be that there is a channel cross over somewhere in the factory cabling from the head unit to the trunk.

D'Ecosse said:

I am not talking about a "crossover" in the audio related meaning of the word, i.e. a device that routes different frequencies to woofers/midranges/tweeters. ....

Neither was I - I was talking about where the 'pin switch' takes place - it is in the head unit, not any of the cables.

Motegi:

I have a Harmon/Kardon Drive+Play in NSX for three months and have been pretty happy with it until the FM Modulator fried. Well, before I take it to Best Buy for warranty repair I wanted to know how to solve a nuisance: The H/K unit automatically starts at the last song it was playing when the ACC power comes on, regardless of whether the radio is even on. This causes me to lose my place in the playlist. Is there an easy place to move the ACC sensing wire so that it only sees +12V when the radio is turned on? Would the power antenna connector work or is there a pin on the DIN connector? I haven't wanted to open the dash myself to test.
Furthermore: I am considering replacing the FM modulator with the USA-Spec device and expect you would approve. You don't see a reason that wouldn't work, do you?

Looks very nice mounted to the LEFT of the dashboard. Doesn't interfere with clean lines of the center console.

Is there an easy place to move the ACC sensing wire so that it only sees +12V when the radio is turned on? Would the power antenna connector work or is there a pin on the DIN connector? I haven't wanted to open the dash myself to test.
Furthermore: I am considering replacing the FM modulator with the USA-Spec device and expect you would approve. You don't see a reason that wouldn't work, do you?

I do think you can tap into one of the wires going into the antenna to control the ACC. I don't have the wiring diagram with me at this time so I can't tell you exactly which lead you need to tap but the shop manual should clear things up.

As for being able to replace the Harmon Kardon's FM modulator with the USA*Spec I am not sure how the audio is routed into the HK modulator so I cannot say for sure. As long as you can get a line level stereo RCA output from the HK control unit you should be able to plug it right into one of the USA*Spec inputs!

Good luck! Let me know how it all turns out!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Motegi,

I have all the parts I need on order and I found this:
http://www.brodit.com/searchbrodit.jsp

Click on multimedia on the left hand side, select 'apple' and then the ipod of your choice.

it's a clip for the ipod and is black and screws into the Panavise bracket holding the ipod nice and secure.

Attachments

• 840660.jpg
    840660.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 194
Thanks Motegi,

I have all the parts I need on order and I found this:
http://www.brodit.com/searchbrodit.jsp

Click on multimedia on the left hand side, select 'apple' and then the ipod of your choice.

it's a clip for the ipod and is black and screws into the Panavise bracket holding the ipod nice and secure.

Wow! That looks great! Thanks for the advice!

I'm 2/3rds done my installation and have a couple of questions.

1. I plugged the mini to RCA cable into the Belkin power adapter and get no sound. When I plug the mini to RCA cable into the ipod headphone jack it works perfectly. Any ideas what's going on here?

2. Will this set up work with a Smartenna? I have one and it doesn't seem to, but maybe I'm missing something. The smartenna is plugged directly into the head unit and is powered from the clock's power adapter. Don't know why it wouldn't work. Thoughts?

I used the blitzsafe adapter which does allow you to use the alpine after market cd changer as well.You get a direct input into the radio which you can use with either an i pod or satelite radio,xm or sirius.I have a sirius small radio in my glove box and use a remote device to change stations. You however have to remove the cd cartridge from the cd for it to switch over.I am thinking of installing an on- off swich in the trunk on my antenna as I never listen to the radio. By the way you can mount the sat. antenna on the rear of the engine cover under the glass.

the mini rca jack is an audio input not a power input.You must power up the device independant of the audio input.I do not know about smart antenna.I am thinking of an on off toggle switch conected to the anttenna power to deal with this issue.

Last edited:
I'm 2/3rds done my installation and have a couple of questions.

1. I plugged the mini to RCA cable into the Belkin power adapter and get no sound. When I plug the mini to RCA cable into the ipod headphone jack it works perfectly. Any ideas what's going on here?

2. Will this set up work with a Smartenna? I have one and it doesn't seem to, but maybe I'm missing something. The smartenna is plugged directly into the head unit and is powered from the clock's power adapter. Don't know why it wouldn't work. Thoughts?

The Belkin has a volume control of its own. Make sure that you have that turned up. The audio in this case is obtained from the dock connector at the bottom of the iPod through the Belkin charger connector and makes the installation much cleaner than having multiple wires plugged into the iPod. The iPod has line level audio signal output through the dock connector and is the primary method used for most of the aftermarket iPod dock speakers and acccessories. If you are unable to get audio from the Belkin I would first try replacing the Belkin to see if yours is defective.

I disabled my smartenna when I did my installation and replaced the power retractable antenna with a SharkAttack fixed antenna.

The Belkin has a volume control of its own. Make sure that you have that turned up. The audio in this case is obtained from the dock connector at the bottom of the iPod through the Belkin charger connector and makes the installation much cleaner than having multiple wires plugged into the iPod. The iPod has line level audio signal output through the dock connector and is the primary method used for most of the aftermarket iPod dock speakers and acccessories. If you are unable to get audio from the Belkin I would first try replacing the Belkin to see if yours is defective.

I disabled my smartenna when I did my installation and replaced the power retractable antenna with a SharkAttack fixed antenna.

I thought it might be defective. It's an open box item from Best Buy. I'm on my second one. The first one was open box as well, and I was afraid that it might be. I bet the original owners broke them or they didn't work and they just returned them. Uggghhh. I'll have to order one now, they're sold out.

Thanks for the help though, I know what to do. Cheers!

Project Complete! I'm really happy with the result! Check it out.

Attachments

• NSXipod.jpg
    NSXipod.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 409
Excellent!

That looks great! BTW, what "cradle" are you using for your iPod? I like the monochromatic black look. I've also gone with a Black Video iPod and black iPod mount but my Belkin kit is still white...

I used a "ProClip" it screws right onto the Panavise bracket and integrates the Belkin cable so I don't have to plug it in every time.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a cool setup.

Back