• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Keyed update

well I finally got my NSX back today. It got Keyed really bad back in Sptember in Reston Va. It has been in the shop for the past 2.5 months. Most of the time it just sat at the shop with the body panels off while the insurance company and the body shop battled. In the end my insurance agent went to bat for me and I ended up only paying 1200 because they would not cover repainting the trunk where there was no Key damage. The total for the complete repaint with removal and replacement off all the rubber and such was just under 11k. The car looks brand new and has a life time warrenty from the shop against fading, cracking and discoloring. Too bad they don't cover stone chips. Now for my question/problem. I have the nsx locked in the garage and I am worried about taking it out because they said the paint will not be fully cured for 90 days but it is about 40% cured now. Does this sound right? I want to do a fluid change since it has set for almost 3 months and winter is comming. Also what will the repair/repaint do to the value of the car? I will try to post a before and after pic soon

I don't see any problem taking it in for service while the paint is curing.

Make sure you tell the technician the paint is fresh and to be exceptionally careful and use the appropriate body protection pads when working and leaning over the car. Make sure they write that on the servce order to prevent any later denial.

Just don't wax it or use any type of a paint sealing product on it which would impair the ability of the paint to off-gas and dry completely.

I would suggest that once it is completely dry and you have it waxed or polished to the finish that you expect, (it is not uncommon for the paint to dull as it dries, requiring it be polished at that point) that you strongly consider a clear bra to preserve that beautiful paint on the front end, mirrors, etc.

Sorry you had to go through that, I am glad your car came out beautiful. The only way to paint these cars is to disassemble them; not tape the edges and paint.

mauck1 said:
well I finally got my NSX back today. It got Keyed really bad back in Sptember in Reston Va. It has been in the shop for the past 2.5 months. Most of the time it just sat at the shop with the body panels off while the insurance company and the body shop battled. In the end my insurance agent went to bat for me and I ended up only paying 1200 because they would not cover repainting the trunk where there was no Key damage. The total for the complete repaint with removal and replacement off all the rubber and such was just under 11k. The car looks brand new and has a life time warrenty from the shop against fading, cracking and discoloring. Too bad they don't cover stone chips. Now for my question/problem. I have the nsx locked in the garage and I am worried about taking it out because they said the paint will not be fully cured for 90 days but it is about 40% cured now. Does this sound right? I want to do a fluid change since it has set for almost 3 months and winter is comming. Also what will the repair/repaint do to the value of the car? I will try to post a before and after pic soon

What body shop did you use? I lived in NOVA for severals years and was curious. A good friend of mine has a Viper GTS that needs touched up that is still up that way.

Thanks in Advance,

John

John McCain Racing said:
What body shop did you use? I lived in NOVA for severals years and was curious. A good friend of mine has a Viper GTS that needs touched up that is still up that way.

Thanks in Advance,

John

I ended up going with Chantilly auto body because they wanted to fight the insurance company to make sure it was done right. A few other shops just wanted to wet sand the areas that were damaged and then blend the paint :eek: like the insurance company wanted to do.

Back