• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Only Track Day @ Buttonwillow

Great, hardly...Adequate, yes ;-)
I'll make sure we get a chance to ride together Roger in the group you're in.
Ryneen, Will, Happa and Greg are others that you should also try and hook up with.
They are all faster than I am :)

Don't sell yourself short Jim, you're plenty fast. I have heard only good things about you as an instructor.

Well, now you guys deleted your post and now people are probably saying WTF...I'll leave this here anyway...

No Les...Not offended at all, just busy prepping my car to finish the painting before the next NASA event so I didn't respond this morning.

My theory about going fast is I only go as fast as I feel comfortable at any given time and always consider the risk vs reward I'm willing to take.
Am I the fastest guy out there, not by any means. Am I the slowest, nope. There are many times within laps when I'm pushing harder for a killer time that I find myself puckering up saying to myself Oh Shit, slow the F down Jim, your on the verge of out of control and I reel it back in by slowing down some and regrouping. Again, it goes back to what you feel comfortable with, and in your mind, is going any further worth the risk that you personally are willing to take. I can't afford to crash my car so my keep my ego in check at all times on track. I have no problem pointing anyone by, faster or slower....We all know you can crash your car just as easily going slow, going faster just makes shit happen quicker and whatever you hit, you hit harder. In the racing I do, I do it as a hobby and a club sport. There's no money to be made, it's all about having fun and bettering your abilities all the time. Win or lose, a great day is when you and your car go home in one piece.

This is my 5th year in TT Big Bore. The 1st year I got my ass handed to me. But I kept learning by following faster drivers as long as I could keep up and being coached by better drivers after such a long layoff. In 2011 I finished the season 6th in TTR. In 2012, I finished 4th in TTR & 5th in TTU and won the season championship in the UMS Time Attack Series in TA-C (Unlimited). In 2013 I concentrated only on TTU and finished 3rd for the season. This year, 2014, I am leading the points in TTU and as long as I run our last event in October and finish both days for points, I will win the NASA-AZ TTU regional championship for the 2014 season. (yahoo, I get a sought after NASA-AZ Regional Championship Jacket ;-) Once again, I'm sure not the fastest, but I never give up or quit. I'm doing it by being consistent, always starting, always finishing and a lot of pure tenacity in between no matter what happens.....and a whole lot of support by sponsors, friends and family !

As for my instructing. I started out racing and instructing many years ago, 1978 in SCCA. I quit racing and instructing in 1990. Kids.....I went back to racing 8 years ago doing some Redline TA's and misc events here and there. Then I started with NASA-AZ 6 years ago doing all events/series wise. I became an instructor with NASA my 2nd year back. I drove mostly DE 3-4 and taught students in DE1 & 2 for the next year, until Tage, our Regional Director told me that was enough, I was going to fast in DE4 continually and it was time to move up. So I moved to TTU. I continued to instruct students and 3 years ago was asked to be the Asst DE2 leader in addition to instructing DE1 students so I the I could coach and conduct lead/follow sessions and conduct downloads so DE2 drivers could improve their skills and move up to DE3. Which is what I still do for the most part. I was also promoted to a Senior Instructor status and now also teach prospective instructors how to become instructors as well when there is a need. Then there's all the check rides I do so drivers can move up into different classes. In fact, I will be working with Nick Frunzi in our upcoming NASA-AZ event to help him make the transition from DE4 to TT3, run TTU myself, and will still have a DE 1 student, and work with DE2 as well here and there. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time on track during our events :)...There's not an event that goes by that I'm not teaching a DE1 student, Supervising DE2 or coaching somebody in the DE classes at our NASA events. I instruct for NASA-AZ, NASA-SoCal, PCA, Extreme Speed and now Speed Ventures. I love to instruct, I enjoy seeing drivers get better and the pride they feel when things start falling together in their minds and they start to understand the whole concept of being on track, both in safety and what it really takes to go faster. I find it very gratifying.

I instruct the same way I drive in competition, you only go as fast as you (and mostly I) feel comfortable until I know you have total car control and understand the physics of what we're doing and have the concept of racing lines and safety before I let anyone start really picking up the speed if I'm in the car with you. The key to a good instructor is communication, making sure a student understands the content of the discussions we have before and after sessions, and as the instructor, being able to slow down or stop situations before they get out of hand. I've taught hundreds of students and its been an adventure to say the least. I've seen a lot, experience a lot and its been a blast. My students & I always have fun together and my students always come away better drivers than they were before which is probably why I am continually requested as an instructor at events I'm involved in. To me, instructing is not about how fast you go, it's about doing it right and better at any speed that matters. If you can't do it right going slow, you sure in the hell won't do anything right by going faster other than crashing faster.

Anyway, enough of my babbling. At least now you know how I approach racing and instructing :)
This is going to be a fun event. Its going to my first time being out on track with many of you and I am really looking forward to just spending a casual track day with everyone, doing some ride alongs and finally meeting many of you.
I am really looking forward to this. Most of my track days are never relaxing since I'm competing 90% of the time along with instructing.

Didn't even think of it that way.:redface:

Last edited:
It was great talking with you earlier today as always Jim. Your post above is very informative as usual. Can't wait for October 18th to get here. After our talk, I'm thinking seriously now about staying for Sunday's session to get more seat time, hopefully with you.

Sunday would be a great day to spend a lot more time with you Les on track.
There won't be any other Novices there NSX wise on Sunday that I can tell, so we'd have all kinds of time going out on track with each other..

It was great talking with you earlier today as always Jim. Your post above is very informative as usual. Can't wait for October 18th to get here. After our talk, I'm thinking seriously now about staying for Sunday's session to get more seat time, hopefully with you.

Sunday would be a great day to spend a lot more time with you Les on track.
There won't be any other Novices there NSX wise on Sunday that I can tell, so we'd have all kinds of time going out on track with each other..

Sounds good.

We may...you jealous now Roger ?
LOL

wow serious bromance going on...........you guys gonna share a room now?

Yeah at the luxurious Motel 6.:tongue:

Man I really miss this type of banter we used to have here on a daily if not an hourly basis in the SoCal section. What happened to it? Oh yeah Fu*kbook.............:mad:

You'll do fine Jon.
Still working out some details with Jared as far as the Novice NSX group goes.
We're in their world for this event, so all of this is their call.
Will let you know once the final details are set.

I'll go ahead and volunteer my services as an instructor. Don't know if I'll be any good compared to Jim or aome of the other drivers here :tongue:

Discussed the Novice/Instructor situation with SV.
From the looks of things at this point, we are going to have 5-6 NSX drivers that are or will be registered in the Novice group, all of which will require instructors. By the time we get to the actual event, we might have a couple more.
I've been given permission and the responsibility to add experienced NSX track drivers that I feel qualified to instruct Novices.

As we all know, instructing is not to be taken lightly since we are responsible for the safety of our students and their NSX's, anything we do with our students will reflect on us as a whole.
Instructor's will be assigned a student. It will be your responsibility to take the student out on track in the novice group sessions.
If and when the instructor feels the student is qualified to go out on track by themselves, they will be signed off and cleared by SV or myself to be on track without their instructor.

You will also be able to drive in your advanced group. My suggestion would be to take the student you are assigned to for a ride along for your first advanced group session at a little slower pace than might be normal to you.
I have found from experience that nothing will give a student a better idea about car control, driving lines, braking, etc like sitting in the passenger seat with you as soon as possible as you explain the hows and whys during their ride along. It will make your job of instructing a lot easier when they actually see hows it's done rather than trying to explain it all in words.

So with this, I would like to start a list of guys that would like to instruct. I ask that only people with major amounts of track time volunteer to be instructors.
I will hold a short NSX Instructor meeting the morning of to offer some suggestions on how to instruct, pre-session/after session discussion with your student and how to progress your student in the safest way possible.

Please PM me to discuss and I will add you to the list.
Instructor List: (From the list that I know will be there and have expressed interest)

1. Jim Cozzolino, Race Comp, TT & Senior Instructor Certified, NASA
2. Ryan Rush, TT Certified, NASA
3. Jon Naya, HPDE 4 Driver, NASA

Last edited:
It keeps getting better for us beginners at this event, thanks Jim.

My pleasure Les.

It keeps getting better for us beginners at this event, thanks Jim.

- - - Updated - - -

Would love to see you instruct Regan.

Awesome! So great to see the team effort to make this a wonderful and safe event.

I just responded to another pm this morning from a gentleman who wants to sign up for beginners group. I might join you guys there too!

I'm happy to ride along but for me to instruct might be a big stretch :). I can give pointers on the racing line and braking zones but sometimes watching a good tutorial or reading Billy's tutorial will be more rewarding.

I'm not saying no, i just don't know if i'll be useful. I'm pretty sure I won't be.

If we're somehow short on instructors I'm happy to ask a friend of mine to join the event as an instructor. He doesn't own an NSX but he owns several time attack trophies on that track and he instructs privately. I can try to ask him to come as a "favor".

OK, we have some time...
I've driven enough with you to know you would do fine with some pointers. Not to mention you have great people skills.
Again, the novice group isn't about being fast, it's about technique at a much slower pace.

I'm happy to ride along but for me to instruct might be a big stretch :). I can give pointers on the racing line and braking zones but sometimes watching a good tutorial or reading Billy's tutorial will be more rewarding.

I'm not saying no, i just don't know if i'll be useful. I'm pretty sure I won't be.

If we're somehow short on instructors I'm happy to ask a friend of mine to join the event as an instructor. He doesn't own an NSX but he owns several time attack trophies on that track and he instructs privately. I can try to ask him to come as a "favor".

Last edited:
No worries, if you don't need one, you don't need to have one.
Just realize since you signed up in the novice group, its a very controlled group pace and passing wise.
Also realize, if you become dangerous to yourself or others, you will be assigned an instructor anyway.
If you find its to slow for your abilities, we'll move you up into a different group.

That goes for anyone else that signed up in the Blue/Novice group, if you don't want a instructor, speak up please so we can plan accordingly...

Man.. I prefer no instructor.. but oh well...

Last edited:
My ego is not so great that I'm against having an instructor in my car. First real track day in decades on a new track with my priceless NSX? I'll gladly take someone far superior in racing skills to me, to ride in the naviguesser seat and give me pointers/instruction until I am up to speed, safe and competent. If my skills progress so that I can move up a class by end of the day, I'm good with that. Thanks in advance to all the instructors. I'm looking forward to learning, a lot.

Great attitude JC.
What many people with no experience don't realize is driving on track is nothing like driving on the street. Not just because of the speed, but also because of the braking thresholds, full use of the racing surface, turn in's, acceleration off the corners, other cars around you at speed, maintaining the race line, safety flags, rules and procedures while on a race track with other cars.

New drivers that tell me "I got this and don't need help" worry me. Most are an accident just waiting to happen.
Which is why in NASA, no driver without proven track experience is allowed on track without an instructor unless they have a Comp License, TT License or a HPDE log book.. Even then they are most times still required to go through an orientation and a check ride, regardless.

If someone is in a faster group and they are unable to maintain a reasonable pace with as a group, it puts everyone at risk and frustrates other drivers that are up to speed because the slower driver becomes a rolling road block. I've seen it many, many times where a group of cars are lined up behind a slower car and it becomes a major cluster F when so many other cars try and pass the slower car all at once not just down a straightaway, but coming to a corner as well.

Since 90% of passing is done on the straights at HPDE events, except for maybe DE4, people tend to get caught up in the pass down the straightway and lose sight of the corner thats coming up, carry way to much speed coming into the corner and then find out the hard way they can't make the corner and off they go, sometimes even gathering other cars up in the process. Which is why HPDE events don't allow dive bombing into corners and passing is by point by only down straightaways. It is also suggested that when you point someone by, you hold a steady throttle and not keep increasing your speed so the passing cars can make the pass safely well before the corner.

Again, we see it many times where a slower driver through the corners holds a group of cars up, then when coming to the straightaway goes like a bat out of hell and doesn't allow anyone to pass and then goes right back to being the rolling road block through the corners again. This leads to major frustration with other drivers. When other drivers get frustrated like this, that's when mistakes tend to happen more since everybody wants to pass the slower car sooner and do it more out of frustration than anything else. Its always the responsibility of the passing driver to complete the pass safely. However, just because someone gives you a point by doesn't mean you have to take it. Many times I've been given point bys and haven't taken them for one reason or another.

There is a lot to learn about driving on a race track. It can be very overwhelming for a beginner because there is so much to learn and no one learns it all in a day or even a weekend. For 80% of new drivers, it takes several times out on track just to get comfortable. Which is why all new drivers start in DE1 with an instructor and most times spend the entire weekend with their instructor and then progress to DE2, then move up as their skills and understanding of the rules and procedures improve.

I ask for coaching from better drivers all the time. Becoming a better driver isn't about ego at all, its about learning, which never stops.
There is NO shame in asking for coaching. Even pro drivers have coaches.
Billy Johnson coaches pro's all the time.

My ego is not so great that I'm against having an instructor in my car. First real track day in decades on a new track with my priceless NSX? I'll gladly take someone far superior in racing skills to me, to ride in the naviguesser seat and give me pointers/instruction until I am up to speed, safe and competent. If my skills progress so that I can move up a class by end of the day, I'm good with that. Thanks in advance to all the instructors. I'm looking forward to learning, a lot.

Last edited:
^^^^^ This is why I would never track without an instructor as a beginner.^^^^^^^^

I have spent many years driving in the canyons all over SoCal with my MR2's, Z4 and now the NSX and understand there is a BIG difference between the two.

well said Coz. This video always makes me laugh. I'm pretty sure thats you on the left.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/b7iUKaPlBl8?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/b7iUKaPlBl8?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This one is also good. It's comedy but there is a lesson to learn..............

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/7LYbl-gO3ak?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/7LYbl-gO3ak?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back