• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Only Track Day @ Buttonwillow

Thanks for organizing this RYU.

We know you're working on the logistics.
I'll echo what JC said and of course a "maybe" can turn into a "hell yeah" :biggrin:.

This will be my first time and since we didn't have a Cal Coastal this year, this is a great substitute (my excuse
biggrin.gif
)

1. How many hours will this opened for?
2. Or as a newbie, how many hours is more than enough?

Sounds kind of fun but need way more info like;
* date
* times
* lastly - price

From the response so far, it looks like you have hit a nerve and that is a good thing. I also see that there are quite a few that have responded that I believe it could be their very first track event in an NSX. I will include myself in this group. That is why there are so many questions. Please answer up what you can and we will wait on what you can't. If we need to purchase safety equipment or prepare our cars better to survive a hot summer day in the high desert (overheating anyone?), it will give us a chance to get prepping. That is unless I can get Illwillem, Ryneen, Coz, Slipnot, Hapa88 or yourself to make a personal visit!

From the response so far, it looks like you have hit a nerve and that is a good thing. I also see that there are quite a few that have responded that I believe it could be their very first track event in an NSX. I will include myself in this group. That is why there are so many questions. Please answer up what you can and we will wait on what you can't. If we need to purchase safety equipment or prepare our cars better to survive a hot summer day in the high desert (overheating anyone?), it will give us a chance to get prepping. That is unless I can get Illwillem, Ryneen, Coz, Slipnot, Hapa88 or yourself to make a personal visit!
Sounds good. Here are my thoughts for the beginners.

Safety Equipment:
* Helmet - You WILL need one. Typically the track has rentals available but some don't. Best if you have your own imo. Many will argue more safety gear is better (including myself) but I believe the bare minimum is a Helmet. I will get a list once we've narrowed down the track day and organizer.

Heat/Maintenance:
* You will put your car under more stresses than it normally sees on the street. Heat will be an issue so make sure your cooling is in proper working order. I'm trying to setup this day for the cooler months (Sept-Nov) so we hope to keep the cooling issues to a minimum.
* I don't think sticky tires are necessary for beginners but your tires have to be in GOOD condition.
* Make sure your other fluids are in good or new condition
* Brake pads should be around 75% or newer. Depending on how sticky your tires are, I remember a day when I ate thru my stock pads in one track day.

I'm sure i'm missing more so others please chime in.

Hopefully some of this is common sense to you guys. I'll try to find a checklist online but if anyone has one to post i'd appreciate it.

I have a simple Tech Inspection Form to help me keep track of what to look for and bring to the track. Its a PDF doc and I have no idea how to attach it here. I wish it was easier to post pics and files to Prime.

Mario - I am under the impression that there will be access to HPDE instructors.

Regan - please verify.

While no guarantee of no spinning, it would be nice to know the limits of each NSX and drivers skill. I'm already shopping for a new helmet.

Like others here, interested but will need more info before committing.

Very close to locking down the specifics now.

Yes, there will be both formal and informal instructors available. Formal being, HPDE instructors which the track day organizer provides (not sure if they charge a fee or not yet). Informal instructors which are other NSX owners who have a lot of track experience (YMMV on this) but one driver/owner I know who has volunteered his time to help is an AWESOME driver and has instructed casually before.

Very close to locking down the specifics now.

Informal instructors which are other NSX owners who have a lot of track experience (YMMV on this) but one driver/owner I know who has volunteered his time to help is an AWESOME driver and has instructed casually before.

You mean, you mean Jonathan?!

Heat
* I'm trying to setup this day for the cooler months (Sept-Nov) so we hope to keep the cooling issues to a minimum.

Last time I was at SOW, around this time of the yr, it was 120F........in the shade w/ hot air blasting. Drank like mad but no need to pee. I was well-done after the 1st session and all my tires were left on the track. Try for cooler months if all possible.

You mean, you mean Jonathan?!
I can't speak for Jon but i'm certainly not qualified to instruct. I'll do a ride along if someone requests it but it'll be strictly to provide my "0.02" only.
Last time I was at SOW, around this time of the yr, it was 120F........in the shade w/ hot air blasting. Drank like mad but no need to pee. I was well-done after the 1st session and all my tires were left on the track. Try for cooler months if all possible.
It will either be in late Sept or mid Oct. That's the two dates i'm working on now. Sept is hit or miss but it's rarely in the high 90s that time of year. Oct is better temp wise.

ATTENTION:

Hoping for a quick poll on which day you folks would prefer. This will be at Buttonwillow afterall which will have new pavement!!!

I prefer Oct but let me put this up for a vote. Who has issue with any of these dates? Oct would be cooler but it's also further into the year... not sure if you antsy pants can wait that long :)

* Saturday, Sept 20 - Buttonwillow (new pavement)

OR

* Saturday, Oct 18 - Buttonwillow (new pavement)

10494533_710574905646885_7115435069634450259_n.jpg

10448195_710909245613451_8608843765366269654_n.jpg

October date:smile:

Oct. has my vote as well.

Les, just tell everyone it's a drive with a small fee and we'll have like 40+ cars. :biggrin:

Last edited:
October

- - - Updated - - -

October. Can I assume this will be with the Speed Ventures group?

Les, just tell everyone it's a drive with a small fee and we'll have like 40+ cars. :biggrin:

LOL about what's in bold.

Back