• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX or Boxster S ? Help!

Ok ok, so i made a decision to sell my c5 and buy either a 1993-1997 NSX or a 1999-2002 Porsche Boxster S... Anyone drove both cars that can give me their impressions??

I hate to sound redundant but have you tried a search for boxster and then briefly read thru the threads to see why they might have mentioned the car.

I own both a Boxster and an NSX. There really is no comparison. As much as I love my Boxster, the NSX is far more rigid (even as a T), transmits far more road feel, and generally feels much more planted (though -- strangely -- the math says the chassis are about equivalent in the slalom.)

To the Boxster's credit:
- the convertible is more "open" than the NSX-T with the roof off.
- there's more trunk space (though not for golf clubs)
- brakes bite a little harder

To the NSX's credit:
- everything else.

Porsche has designed a fun car. Honda designed an awesome car.

Hope this helps

I drove a 99 Boxter S and just recently test drove a NSX i'm planning to buy. The Boxter S has slow steering like the NSX. The NSX feels faster and looks better IMO. As for handling i really need to track it to find out. What i did notice was that the MPH guage was really hard to read.

If your talking about the new Boxter S that would be a hard choice but i'd take the NSX because the Boxter will have a hardtop version that will outperform the current Boxter S :eek: And the NSX is the king of Honda's and looks like a supercar.

IMO, you need to ask yourself what you want:

If you want a convertible, than I guess I would go with the Boxster. Beyond that, the NSX wins. Remember this, when the NSX came out in 1991, it was called "the most perfectly built sports car ever". There is a reason for that.

The NSX is awesome in EVERY category. Period. If you want it faster, make some mods.

Every time I drive my 95, I am thrilled I own it. I have no interest at this time in any other sports car. To me, the Porsche Boxster and 911 all look the same. And, they are everywhere. I live a few miles from an interstate and I am certain that I can stand at the overpass and see a Porsche within 10 minutes. With that said, I am certain I could stand there all day and not see an NSX.

I have read it time and again on this site when people post the "should I get and NSX or a..." The test is to take them out, back to back, and then ask yourself which one you can't live without. Then you will have your answer.

I too own a '99 Boxster (wife's) and a '91 NSX Coupe, (mine) with numerous mods. There is NO comparison. The NSX is a much finer sports car in all ways. The Boxster is "cute" and handles great considering it also rides nice. The NSX is a much more "hard-core" sports car. I could never enter a corner... break 11 in wide rear tires loose and powerslide my Boxster thru the turn. Oh yea... I also never get people surrounding my Boxster while at the mall, grocery store or restaurant. Different catagory of car... PERIOD.

How many Boxster do you see on the street vs. NSX? I hope that is enough to answer your question :)

It's a womens car.... At least here it is!
Also known here as a poor mans porsche. All people that wanted a porsche Carrera but could never pay it are now driving Boxters. You see 13 in a dozen over here!
But well, maybe you could have guessed already, I'm not porsche minded.
Honda rules! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Bart Geerts said:
It's a womens car.... At least here it is!
Also known here as a poor mans porsche. All people that wanted a porsche Carrera but could never pay it are now driving Boxters. You see 13 in a dozen over here!
But well, maybe you could have guessed already, I'm not porsche minded.
Honda rules! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Amen!

If you're going to get a 93-97 NSX, either get a 93 or 94 for the tuning capabilities (OBDI, AEM makes a nice ECU that allows for turbo/SC tuning) or buy the 97 for the 3.2L and the 6-speed. If you "need" a targa, then you need at least a '95, but I'd suggest the '97 because I'm a little disappointed that I bought a '95 before knowing too much about the NSX.

Thank you all for your responses... Here is a bit more background on why I'm looking into both these cars... Although my C5 is a sweet car, and having been supercharged it is super fast, while this is all good, i've been wanting something that handles like a dream and has a bit more "refinement" and better build-quality than a Chevy. So having said that, I looked into a few choices, all of them mid-engine config, this is another thing i wanted to go with... I looked at the Lotus Esprit V8, the Boxster S (not because its cheaper than the 911, but because its mid-engine and not rear like the 911), and the NSX... I've always liked the NSX from the time it came out and always wanted to get one, but i always stayed with american muscle. So now i narrowed it down to the boxster s vs the nsx, as lotus is not exactly reliability king... so from the two, here is how i see it:

Boxster S
+ I like the H6 3.2L engine it uses
+ I like the safety of having side-airbags
+ The interior is not bad looking if in the right color
+ Its a newer car
+ 6 speed tranny
+ Its a Porsche
- It doesnt look as nice as the NSX
- Its a common car
- Its often labeled as a poor man's or girl Porsche
- Difficult to get to the engine!

NSX
+ Its always been one of my dream cars
+ I love the looks of the exterior (especially with a painted NSX-R hood)
+ The interior is alright also, i wish there were other color choices
+ Very unique and definitely an exotic
- I dont particularly like the engine too much
- Repairs are very expensive...
- No side airbags
- 5 speed tranny

So there it is, i am leaning towards the NSX, which is why i posted here and not on a Boxster board ;-)

Id suggest that if you are considering a Boxster S, you must also really look at S2000s. IMO, the S2000 is more fun for less dough with about equivalent performance.

Sure the S2000 is missing many of the creature comforts that the Boxster is, but if you have not yet driven one, you definately should!

quick question... a bit OT, but hey... Are all the body panels on the NSX removable? do they provide any structural integrity or is it all chassis that does that? kinda like in the vette? in other words, if i wanted to can i take off the panels and drive safely?

SPA_S2000 said:
Id suggest that if you are considering a Boxster S, you must also really look at S2000s. IMO, the S2000 is more fun for less dough with about equivalent performance.

Sure the S2000 is missing many of the creature comforts that the Boxster is, but if you have not yet driven one, you definately should!

I'm not too big on the S2000, not really my kind of car... mid engine is one of my requirements ;-)

97+ NSX has a 6 speed, FYI.

sushi said:
I'm not too big on the S2000, not really my kind of car... mid engine is one of my requirements ;-)

Sound weird, but look close to the S2000. It's almost a mid engine. It's balanced that way, all the weight is in the centre of the car, the driver is sitting far back, VERY close to the rear-wheels.

sushi said:
......, if i wanted to can i take off the panels and drive safely?

Are you planning on doing something like this? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Attachments

• asl.jpg
    asl.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 566
SPA_S2000 said:

This is just what I was thinking. Comparing a Boxster to an NSX. :eek: I may be biased but ....... Try asking them in the Boxster forum, they might be able to sell you there, but not here. My buddy bought an S2000 over the Boxster S as his daily driver.

Image is everything...well a large part anyway :biggrin:
Get the NSX, boxsters are pretty common around in So Cal, I like being able to cruise around in a car you dont see very often. :biggrin:

^^ Yes - the S2000 is, for what its worth, balanced as if it IS a midengine. I personally loved that, but wasnt into the long hood as much.

It is definately, without question, a much more difficult car to drive near its limits than a NSX. Id go as far as saying that S2000s are one of, if not the most, difficult cars to drive available today. Drive well at its limit that is - which makes the whole experience all that more rewarding.

SPA_S2000 said:
^^ Yes - the S2000 is, for what its worth, balanced as if it IS a midengine. I personally loved that, but wasnt into the long hood as much.

It is definately, without question, a much more difficult car to drive near its limits than a NSX. Id go as far as saying that S2000s are one of, if not the most, difficult cars to drive available today. Drive well at its limit that is - which makes the whole experience all that more rewarding.

As the owner of two S2000's, I concur.

Bart Geerts said:
Sound weird, but look close to the S2000. It's almost a mid engine. It's balanced that way, all the weight is in the centre of the car, the driver is sitting far back, VERY close to the rear-wheels.

Are you planning on doing something like this? :biggrin: :biggrin:

The S2000's engine layout makes it a front-mid engine. The engine is mounted behind the front axle. This is why you have the 49/51, front/rear weight distribution.

It is a very fun car to drive. Once you get used to it's oversteer characteristics, it's handling becomes predictable.

Good luck.

Go drive both. Give the Boxster S a chance. It actually is a very enjoyable car to drive, though underpowered for the chassis. The suspension is very nicely tuned and is great for carving the twisties. I might even go as far as saying the Boxster S may have an edge in handling. The car is very involving to drive. Unfortunately, the Boxster has always had the stigma as the entry level Porsche. It's too bad, since it really is a nice roadster.

The NSX needs no explanation here. It is a great well rounded sports car that does everything well. My guess is that a 3.0 NSX is a little quicker than the Boxster S. It should be very reliable compared to the P-Car and definitely gets a lot more attention. Also routine maintenance will surely be less than the P-Car. Oil changes on my 996 turbo were almost $200 versus $40 for the NSX.

By the way, 2000 was the first year of the Boxster S.

Good luck in your decision!

Last edited:
sushi said:
NSX
+ Its always been one of my dream cars
+ I love the looks of the exterior (especially with a painted NSX-R hood)
+ The interior is alright also, i wish there were other color choices
+ Very unique and definitely an exotic
- i dont particularly like the engine too much
- Repairs are very expensive...
- No side airbags
- 5 speed tranny

So there it is, i am leaning towards the NSX, which is why i posted here and not on a Boxster board ;-)
I have never heard that said of the NSX engine before :confused: I'ts always been considered an excellent engine,especially the noise :biggrin:

Back