• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX or Maserati Gransport?

Guys please give me your honest opinions. I have been in love with the NSX since 1991. But for various reasons, one being I couldn't afford one then, I never owned one. I only test drove a 1995 for a short period a few years ago and am trying to recall my thoughts on it.

Anyway my financial situation changed, my current car is a Mercedes Benz CL600 with an ungodly amount of power, torque, and luxury. But I have been "bored" in it believe it or not, because although it is crazy fast, you don't feel the speed at all. There is no drama, you are doing 30 now and 90 3 seconds later and its still quiet and serene. I sold the car and its being picked up this week.

I had narrowed my car choices to a few, a used NSX, a 911, an SL55 or SL600, a Jaguar XK (new one), or an Aston Martin V8. I made a post and lots of you replied which I appreciated, and have now narrowed my choice down even more.

I have decided the AMV8 may be a bit too pricey. About 20K more than what I really want to spend. Plus I really want something with some sort of open top, and the current AMV8 does not have this. I have ruled out the 911 because I just don't like its styling, its a personal thing but I just can't get myself to like it. I drove a 996TT and a 997 and a Cayman, and none of them really did it for me. I just didn't feel it. I am sorry to all the porschefiles and the car magazines that think I am nuts, it just didn't do it for me.

Last weekend I drove the new XK. It was pretty, smooth, quiet, refined, and quick. Great car. But.... it reminded me of my CL600, just not as good. It was not raising my pulse. I drove an SL600. It was even faster than my CL, insanely fast, but again... no drama, no sound, no nothing. Just speed. It, also did not do it for me.

I went into the Ferrari dealer and drove a new Maserati Gransport. This car guys, if you don't know it, is a whole different animal then the Maserati coupe. Before I walked in, I had "no" in my mind. Questionable reliability, high depreciation, questionable build quality, etc... certainly no Honda I told myself.

Then I drove it... WOW!!! Its been three days and I can still hear that gnarly engine in my head... the steering was dead on.... the new reprogrammed Cambiocorsa F1 was... like nothing else! I thought it would be like these cheesy manumatic transmissions... boring.. unreponsive... I asked for a stick... they forced me to drive the F1 (cambiocorsa in Mas world) ... the thing blips the throttle, it revs up and down, its not like an auto at all! It was like some invisible guy was operating the clutch, super fast and perfect. But I completely felt like I was shifting... It would match revs, there was even that slight "clutch delay". A hint of jerkiness when driven hard and I even liked that! And the engine was fantastic! Now I know why a Ferrari is a Ferrari.

The car has beautiful new racing seats, a new body that takes away that lumpy look of the old coupe, it sits lower, it even has a "sport" button that changes a flap and turns the exhaust from medium loud to race ready, tightens the suspension, and quickens the shifts.

I walked away with my blood pumping and a little sweat on my forehead.

I loved the car.

Now its decision time... They offered me a 20K discount on any 05 as 06's are out. I am looking at low 90's for a well equipped GS with a 4 year 50K warranty. Or... I buy an 05 NSX slightly used or brand new around 80K.

One car is bulletproof reliable, low depreciation, and nice looking. But in a way also an old design. A V6. A bit underpowered. As great as that 6 is, let me tell you, it is NOTHING like the Ferrari V8.

Other car is really what I feel a more modest, a more understated, less expensive 360. If you have not seen or driven the GranSport and you are thinking the old coupe, you do not know what I am talking about. Of course I may be selling this car in 3 years for 50K! I hope not, but who knows... I also don't know if it will be in the shop all the time, but... they say they are ahead of MB in JD powers now but that doesn't say much. I won't drive more than 8K miles per year anyway... this is a third car for me.

what would you do in my position? Please don't tell me you would buy a totally different car. My decision is between an 05 NSX, or an 05 Gransport. If you don't know it go to www.maserati.com and take a quick peek.

Give me some honest opinions please.

Thanks!

Last edited:
My daily driver is a Honda Element. Its what I take to work and spill my coke in. Don't care... good gas milage, good in the snow, throw boxes in the back and go...

its very interesting the way people treat me when I am in the Element versus the CL600. In the CL600 women look over and smile, in the element they look over and laugh... :smile: I love it.

So yes the car would be a weekend car... so your vote is for the Maserati. Thanks for the honest opinion. I will come back and see you when its dropped 40% in value the first year! :tongue:

TURBO2GO said:
My daily driver is a Honda Element. Its what I take to work and spill my coke in. Don't care... good gas milage, good in the snow, throw boxes in the back and go...

its very interesting the way people treat me when I am in the Element versus the CL600. In the CL600 women look over and smile, in the element they look over and laugh... :smile: I love it.

So yes the car would be a weekend car... so your vote is for the Maserati. Thanks for the honest opinion. I will come back and see you when its dropped 40% in value the first year! :tongue:

LOL. You'll have to put a "My other car is a Maseratti" sticker on your Element.

I thought about the GS (never actually test drove) but in the end know that I couldn't tolerate F car reliability for a daily/frequent driver. They are pretty slick though, no doubt about it.

The other question is whether your planning on taking it to the track. I haven't seen a Maser's numbers, but I'm guessing the NSX would be alot funner. Personaly, since I'm no track junky, given the choice, I'd pick the Maserati (probably since I've never owned one before :D and am always willing to try new cars)

The Maserati looks nice, but it doesnt look very sporty to me. It looks like a nice, cruising car to take the top off and go for a vacation with the wife/gf, etc.

It also doesnt look like a car I would want to be cornering really hard with, driving really hard. I could be wrong though.

It's what floats "your boat", not mine that counts. I faced a similar decision 3 years ago, tried the porsche (common around here, all of them), always loved the NSX, and always want something different that I don't see coming and going. Just got out of a C5 vette convertible, the Acura dealer is right across the street from Maserati/Ferrari dealership. Went and test drove the Spider convertible (no gransport available at that time), loved the sound of the engine (won't do the F1, don't care what it feels like, doesn't have the left foot engagement, doesn't engage the brain), liked the transmission, the interior is beautiful. Two things kept me away, firstly the seats were horrible, the bolsters cut me right in the middle of my back, couldn't get comfortable for 5 minutes, forget about a long pleasure trip. Secondly, from the outside, nothing stirring, pretty, not sexy, interior looks 10, exterior looks 4, didn't do it for me. Got the NSX, still love it's look, ride, feel, sound the whole package. That's my story, what's yours, sounds like the Maserati does it for you, if so, do it, yes it will probably drop to 50m in a couple of years, so what, as long as you know that's the case, you're an informed consumer, if you love it for the time you drive it, that's the cost. Do what stirs your soul, don't care what I think, it's your car, your choice. JMHO:wink:

TURBO2GO said:
I will come back and see you when its dropped 40% in value the first year! :tongue:

Deprecation only matters if you can't afford it.I would not be worrying about deprecation with cars in this price range.

RPM217 said:
not sexy, interior looks 10, exterior looks 4, didn't do it for me. Got the NSX, still love it's look, ride, feel, sound the whole package. That's my story, /QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%, I actually think the coupe has funny proportions but the Gransport has cured that for the most part. Also the seats are all new real racing seats, they look and feel like a set of good recaros. And they may be. Man this is a tough decision because you are right the NSX has all those pluses as well. Plus this forum is GREAT! there is no Maserati forum. decisions decisions...

Modernceo said:
The Maserati looks nice, but it doesnt look very sporty to me. It looks like a nice, cruising car to take the top off and go for a vacation with the wife/gf, etc.

It also doesnt look like a car I would want to be cornering really hard with, driving really hard. I could be wrong though.

The Gransport can be tracked. Its not a cruiser. I would be surprised if it was not faster than an NSX around a track. Its tight.

When you say not very sporty, are you thinking of the coupe? because it is different. The GS sits lower, has different nose, rear, and sides, different seats, steering wheel and console, different suspension, engine, and sound.

Anyway I am not tracking it. I would love to do that but i would just buy a used Elise or a mustang for that and not ruin my 100K car.

Ski_Banker said:
LOL. You'll have to put a "My other car is a Maseratti" sticker on your Element.

:biggrin: yeah.... people laugh when they find out I have a $140,000 Renntech modified V12 Mercedes CL600 and I drive a Honda Element everyday. Complete with the plastic gray fenders and the 1" exhaust pipe.

I tell you, each car makes me appreciate the other because of what it cannot do that the other does.

I think that you shoud get a feel of the NSX again and weigh your pros and cons based on recent memory of these two cars. Making your decision based on the vague and distant memory of your experience in the NSX compared to the three-day old memory of the Gransport may not get you the car that you want.

What I sense is that you want power and enjoyment. You had the power in the car, but you didn't have the x-factor that went with it. The NSX is not going to have the power in comparison of your previous experience. I don't think it will make you happy. You should get what makes you happy. I think you need a Ferrari and not an NSX. I would hate to see you buy an NSX and then regret your decision. Wow..you don't like those Porshe? Buy me one Dad. :)

How fast can you accelerate on public streets? The stock NSX is enough for me, after a while HP doesnt matter. Its the balance and engineering and design that goes into the car that make it a drivers car that matter. Add a gtlw exhaust and the NSX might suit your needs.

I know the GS is different than the Coupe but I can share my experiences with a CambioCorsa coupe a few years back.

First, it was a REALLY fast car. The shifter was faster than you could manually shift. And the engine sounded great. With the Skyhook suspension, the handling was amazing...although it didn't give you the same road feel as the NSX. I would agree it was like a Ferrari (without the looks) at a fraction of the price.

However...the shifter had some problems...which may have been corrected in the GS. On the Beltway in Wash DC, there were several occassions where the car would not shift out of 2nd gear. Imaging hopping on the highway, getting up to 50 or 60 mph with a high rpm and not being able to shift again. Had to pull over, restart the car. And luckily, the Ferrari/Maserati dealership was only 20 minutes from me. The worst part about the Mas was the depreciation. Unlike Ferraris, I think all Maseratis drop like a tank. Luckily, I bought mine used but even still, I lost a fair amount in a short period of time. If I remember correctly, my coupe stickered for 95k, I bought it one year used for 65k. I thought "how much lower could it possibly go". After all, it had a Ferrari engine (almost). Six months later, I was lucky to get 57k. Like the NSX, I think the depreciation levels off after years 2 or 3. But you still have to deal with maintenance. While cheaper to maintain than a Ferrari, all the services are still pretty expensive. And I don't think I would want to own one if it is outside of its warranty.

I would actually consider getting another Mas b/c they are fairly unique, have gobs of power and sound great. But I now live 150 miles from the closest Ferrari/Maserati dealership and paying $200-$300 to have the car towed for routine service doesn't excite me.

Good luck.

WeakestLink said:
I think all Maseratis drop like a tank. Luckily, I bought mine used but even still, I lost a fair amount in a short period of time. If I remember correctly, my coupe stickered for 95k, I bought it one year used for 65k. I thought "how much lower could it possibly go". After all, it had a Ferrari engine (almost). Six months later, I was lucky to get 57k.
Good luck.

WeakestLink, thanks a lot for the input from someone who has owned both cars! I am amazed that you say the car was 95, you bought a year later for 65, and sold it 6 months later for 57.... that is crazy.... yet you would still consider buying another.

What it says is that this is a really impressive car in some ways... and I know some are telling me its about enjoyment. But its also about money. I mean I don't like losing my shirt anymore than the next guy. I can afford these cars, but I am not super rich. Just a car nut. And its not like the NSX will be no fun to drive... if it gives me 90% of the fun and keeps me from being robbed, then thats fine with me.

Its been a long time since I was in an NSX. A search on the internet shows I am nowhere near an NSX (I am in Boston). Are there any members here that want to give me a ride that are anywhere close? :smile:

I would go for the NSX if u need more power supercharge it.
You need to drive a 993tt P car. That’s the last of the real driving cars from Porsche unless you’re talking GT3 or GT2. I have owned 7 P cars and there are great driving cars and have the X factor. But I just got a CTSC NSX and I love it. I drive it all the time. And it has the X factor to me :biggrin: But as other said U need to make your own mind up. I’m waiting for 5 yrs till the new AMV8 comes down to 70k and then Ill get one.:biggrin: Good Luck with what ever you end up with. Buy what makes you happy

I am thinking the Gransport just came out. Perhaps I should buy my 05 NSX. Keep it 12-18 months. I put maybe 5,000 miles on the thing. I bet in a year it will still bring mid-high 60's. If I take excellent care of it maybe someone on this forum will want to upgrade to a super clean 2005 low milage unit.

Then buy my Maserati GS for 20-30K less next year when its a year to two years old. This way I don't lose my shirt and I get to enjoy an NSX for a year or two. Contribute to this forum a little... :cool:

It sounds like you really love the Gransport. I would go with what you really want. Maserati!

Last edited:
Looks wise, the NSX is waaaaaay more sexy, sleek, sharp, racey, timeless...
the Maz just doesn't do it for me, kinda looks like an overwieght Jag IMO...
of coarse I'm a bit bias, but I think 9 out of 10 unbiased people would agree with me:biggrin: :biggrin:

BUT, it's your hard earned money, not mine:frown: :wink: :smile:

I have owned 2 NSX's (1995 and 1997) and currently own an SL 55.

I test drove a 2005 Maserati GranSport about 1 month ago in Atlanta.

I too am having feelings regarding my SL55 that the original poster had about his CL600.

After test driving the Maserati, I have to admit I too walked away with the same impression as the original poster....what a sportscar! It sounded great, shifted great, handled awesome, and had exclusive looks. My only concern would be the resale value for this vehicle as it has a limited market. Since I only keep cars for an average of 18 mos., resale value means a lot to me. I still think about the intoxicating note of that exhaust..... I'm pretty sure I'll buy one, but I think I'll buy a used one that someone else has already taken the depreciation hit on.

Another distinction between the NSX and GS is that the NSX is waaaaay more comfortable IMO. You could easily drive an NSX on a 4 hour road trip, no sweat. The Maserati would leave you looking for some advil, (albeit with a smile pasted on your face).

I'm going to go against the majority here and tell you to go for the Maserati...............

.....and then sell it to me for 60K in 12 mos! :biggrin:

i have heard many people say nsx's lack passion and character..do you NSX owners this that? does teh nsx lack 'character' that ferrari has

Just to be clear. I'm not advocating the Maserati over the NSX...after all, I'm currently driving my 4th NSX. I was just offering my views on the Maserati.

If you've never had either, I would pick the NSX...even though the body style is getting a little stale. (no flames...16 years is a long time) The lease on my 04 is coming up in 2 months so I'm looking for a change. If I can't find anything exciting, I might try to find a leftover 05.

What does an NSX sound like? I can't remember. I know I revved the Maserati and everyone within a mile was looking.

As for the looks, come on guys... this is not the old coupe... its lowered, revised front bumper, rear bumper, exhaust, interior, etc. This car turns some heads. Its what Maserati should have come out with in the first place... now they wouldn't be having as high a depreciation.

Of course the NSX is a classic. It was just dead on from day one.

Back