• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX pricing trends this past year

The main problem is there are a ton of great cars on the market. Think about this; depending what you plan to use the car for 06 to 07 Porsche Caymans are in the NSX price range as are Elises, 370z, 308s and Boxsters just to start with.

And none of those are rare, reliable exotics- which is why the NSX has no competition until you get to the 02 price range. I personally think even the 02s are not a good buy at the 50 mark unless they are supercharged and have bbk along with other mods bc you can buy used 997 4S's in that range. But, the market has kind of disagreed and shown that stock 02+ cars still hold good value bc of their low production numbers. The bottom line is that if those other cars do it for you and you don't feel the NSX stacks up you would just buy one of those other cars. BUT, Porsche Caymans are not exotic, Elises are too spartan and still not exotics, 370z's shouldn't really be on this list, 308s are an eras old maintenance nightmare, and Boxsters are even lesser than caymans. Not saying the NSX doesn't have it's weaknesses too but just emphasizing that it's mix of qualities is unique. Plus, it's a Honda :)

Last edited:
The main problem is there are a ton of great cars on the market. Think about this; depending what you plan to use the car for 06 to 07 Porsche Caymans are in the NSX price range as are Elises, 370z, 308s and Boxsters just to start with.

The problem is, most NSX owners probably don't really care for those cars when they were shopping for their NSXs. I know I didn't. My friends/family thought I were out of my mind for paying mid-50 for an 11-year-old car that is not from somewhere in Europe. Imo, buying an NSX is an emotional decision. We buy NSXs because we want it.:smile:

For some reason the NSX holds its value - well there were only 8000 brougt in so they should. Not to mention that they are great cars, run great, handle great and have no inherent flaws.

GC sold his car cheap - but then he had panel replacement - now to me tha's not a big deal and the older a car gets the less that makes a difference. How many 356 rust buckets do you think have been restored or early 911s due to rusting out floor pans and front pans all kinds of things - some here in the NSX community have this idea that things like that diminish value - man when these cars really get down in number - there will be few if any that haven't had some kind of paint work - that is if they've been driven. But fact is right now that affects price but it didn't seem to effect the guys price with the 95 or did it - he said if he hadn't had accident damage he could have gotten 39k - maybe so.

The idea that a low mileage 50k or less - is low mileage - with full maintenance history, full maintenance up to date is not worth 31k is kind of wrong in my opinion. Anyone that sells his car for cheap only hurts the market and the traffic will always bear out if a car is maintained right. Now if it has no accident history - well so much the better I suppose at least on the aluminum portions cause there really isn't any substitute for original paint but all cars will eventually need paint - EVERYONE - garrage queen or not! Paint deteriorates - its a fact.

Good cars are hard to find - great cars even harder - great cars with no accident damage even rarer! That's just the deal. These cars are fantastic performers - fantastic and they don't look like anything else on the road! You don't see yourself coming but rarely. The other day I was driving and an NA3 pulled up behind me - that's the 02-05 models for those that are confused by the NA3 monicer but it's just my way of differentiating between NA2 with pop ups or NA2s without and there were other changes as well.

I think prices are going up and I think the market is showing that - I don't believe you can buy a low miler with under 50k with all service up to date fully for less than 30 and to say you don't get the advantage of the work you did - well let em go out and spend their own 5 to 7k getting one brought up to speed! Then they'll find out - buy one for 25 and then they'll see. Not many like ECs' out there and his should have sold for more. Sorry but that's the way I see it. I haven't seen a really fully maintained car sell for 25k that didn't have accident damage - so that's what the price is.

My two cents worth...

Let me follow up on my comment about alot of great cars. The people who buy a NSX want a NSX. The NSX is a great car in the sea of great cars. NSX owners are like Ferrari, Lotus, A.M., Jag and so on they want wahat they want and will not change thier minds. I have had two Lotus and met guys who could what ever they want but will only drive a Lotus. A friend of mine only drove Porshes untill he got his first Aston Martin. Now he seems to be a AM guy. So when a guy sells his NSX the market of people looking for a NSX is smaller that Porsche. There are people who think the only car is a NSX or Porsche or Ferrari. I doubt there many NSX owners who "try" the car and decide to move on. You drive what you want because you want it. But my friend sells Porsche, BMW, MB and the normal used stuff that gets traded. He tells me that you can not believe how many people who have money who jump from make to make. An example is a friend of my dad's has owned a Porsche, MB, BMW, AM then back to BMW all in the last 8 years.

Let me follow up on my comment about alot of great cars. The people who buy a NSX want a NSX. The NSX is a great car in the sea of great cars. NSX owners are like Ferrari, Lotus, A.M., Jag and so on they want wahat they want and will not change thier minds. I have had two Lotus and met guys who could what ever they want but will only drive a Lotus. A friend of mine only drove Porshes untill he got his first Aston Martin. Now he seems to be a AM guy. So when a guy sells his NSX the market of people looking for a NSX is smaller that Porsche. There are people who think the only car is a NSX or Porsche or Ferrari. I doubt there many NSX owners who "try" the car and decide to move on. You drive what you want because you want it. But my friend sells Porsche, BMW, MB and the normal used stuff that gets traded. He tells me that you can not believe how many people who have money who jump from make to make. An example is a friend of my dad's has owned a Porsche, MB, BMW, AM then back to BMW all in the last 8 years.

Your are so right about that Argus - well put. The NSX attracts a particular person. It is a unique car and still handles and moves better than many newer cars out there. I've had a bunch of cars and some here have several at one time - wish I could do that cause I would. But the NSX drives like no other. I've had Porsches, Bimmers and love em all but the NSX is a special car.

Some here don't feel the car is right like it is - they need to SC or TC their cars - I don't understand that - I've ridden in an NSX with SC but I wouldn't want it. I like mine just the way it is - it's perfect just like it was designed to me. It is fluid art and it manuevers just right and I really feel that way. It doesn't really need anything - it can be enjoyed just like it is and it sounds unreal on cam - nothing else sounds like it. There's not another V6 that sounds like that. Porsche air coolers sound great too and I love that sound and the water coolers definitely lost something. But the NSX stands out and still stands out. It is a true sports car. I will own another one some day when mine sells.

Ole Shawn talks about it too - people sell and they keep coming back. There just isn't anything quite like it and it doesn't kill you to maintain it like a 911 - try maintaining a 911 water cooler - it will get ya. Rotors 188 bucks a piece - geeze. It's a reasonable expenditure for a heap of fun - best all round sports car on the market still to this day!

Ultimately, it's about supply and demand. I've considered selling mine a couple of times in the last 11 years that I've had it. But what holds me back is that I would not be able to buy a similar one if I ever wanted another (25k mi, '00 coupe).

I've driven and owned my share of cars from an Elise to a F430 and I have to say the NSX is just a great compromise of usability, limited production and gives me the subjective exotic feel for about half the price. The Cayman S is very close and it performs amazing but you just don't feel like it is very special. In fact more people have cut me off in a Porsche than any other car I have ever driven. The Elise beats you up but feels exotic and visceral. The Ferrari's are just amazing and exotic, but the price and ongoing costs make my accountant cry and every little scratch pains me.

So I guess the NSX is an exotic, passionate car for the practical minded, who loves a bit of car history.

This car has an undeniable legacy, but that does not mean the price and demand will reflect that value. So I guess we just all have to sit in our amazing NSX's and enjoy the ride. It is a car that is on just about every car enthusiasts bucketlist for a reason.

I've thought of selling my 94 NSX with 50k miles but what else would I buy?

I don't drive it as a daily driver its just a toy for me. So it sits in my garage with a car cover. Everytime I walk past the thing I say I should probably sell it. I've owned it for 7-8 years now I think.

Problem is the moment I sell it I will kick myself. This is my second NSX so I have shopped for them before. It really does suck looking for one as much as it does selling one. You get 20-30 tire kickers for ever 1 serious buyer. And you look at tons of junk ones when trying to buy. I also don't look forward to letting some tire kicker test drive the thing. So it sits, it doesn't bother me to let it sit.

My Dad thought I was nuts for paying 30K for a 1996 car. This was until he finally got to see it and ride in it this past weekend. We pulled up to the local tavern and was immediately surrounded by the patrons that were hollering oooh ahhh, ferrari this and that. I went inside to grab a drink with some friends. After 15 mins or so, I noticed my Dad wasn't around. I went outside to see him trying to tell everyone about the NSX. He didn't know a damn thing about it but I guess he was living vicariously through the NSX. Haha.... He later told me he now understand why I bought it.

My Dad thought I was nuts for paying 30K for a 1996 car. This was until he finally got to see it and ride in it this past weekend. We pulled up to the local tavern and was immediately surrounded by the patrons that were hollering oooh ahhh, ferrari this and that. I went inside to grab a drink with some friends. After 15 mins or so, I noticed my Dad wasn't around. I went outside to see him trying to tell everyone about the NSX. He didn't know a damn thing about it but I guess he was living vicariously through the NSX. Haha.... He later told me he now understand why I bought it.

My father was the same way with the NSX and my D90. He didn't like either of them and now he always tells his friends about them. :tongue:

Hi, everybody,
I have previously owned two NSX's this past decade, and I am considering owning one again. I have been browsing internet ads for about one year now, looking for the elusive 2001 Black/Black manual NSX, which I have yet to find. During my search past 11 months, I have noticed the prices of NSX of all years to be increasing, in my opinion, to exaggerated prices. I draw this conclusion based on following all things NSX for the past decade!. The prices have gotten so inflated (again, in my opinion), that it has started to actually turn me away from wanting to get one just on principle, so much so that I am nearly convinced that I should just move on and get something else (Audi R8 or Porsche 998). For all you fellow long-time Primers, have you also noticed this price trend, and do you agree with it/think it is justified? I oftentimes shake my head in disbelief when I see some asking prices for NSX's recently. Sorry but just had to vent.

I have been following this car since 2001 and when I first started researching them, the 91s and 92s were going for 26k to 32k. Ten years later, the 91s and 92s are going for 26k to 32k... unless you want to get one with 150,000 miles on it, in which case you can get away with about 23k.

I have been waiting a long time for prices to come down... and they don't. Which is incentive to buy one (hopefully they don't go up too soon before I can get one). At least I know it will hold it's value.

So I guess the NSX is an exotic, passionate car for the practical minded, who loves a bit of car history.

This is an EXCELLENT observation! And really summarizes the typical NSX owner.

Last edited:
Too many cars are asking unrealistically, those cars are just going to sit, and sit, and sit, and finally forgotten.

What makes you say that - which ones? A lot of the guys that are selling late model NSXs have a very rare car and color - they may be asking a little more than they'll get but most do figuring they'll have to come down some - let's take your car for example.

I know you've most likely done some things to yours since you bought it - what are the stats - what did you pay for it and what does it need. Mileage and last service and then finally what would you sell yours for if you were to sell it? I bet you'll have a little different story when it comes to your own personal vehicle...

Unrealistic prices - I would agree on some for sale on Prime but those guys don't care if they sell or not. They may even have a car that there were 10 made that year in their color combo or maybe even less than that with super low mileage THAT CAN'T BE DUPLICATED!!!. What makes a car valuable - mileage and low manufactured numbers - right? That's assuming all maintenance is totally up and proper according to the "book" - not somebodies idea of what they live with - no I've seen too many like that for sale and they are over priced usually.

Lots of guys buy these cars and can't afford to maintain them properly - say "it's a Honda - I don't need to do anything - it'll be fine and I'll only own a couple of years" - yeah and they drive the poo out of it and then try and sell it for what they paid for it - NOT HAPPNIN! Those are the guys that bug me. Try and strap their stuff on you without ever doing anything they should have - nothing but add miles on the odometer! They don't do the marque or the NSX image any good at all - too many of them around to suite me.

I'd much rather see the kind of people we usually have on Prime selling cars that have history of good maintenance and continued good maintenance under their ownership asking a "proper" price for the car. What helps a car hold its value???? - good records, good maintenance and a lot of TLC by the owner and then they command the high point of the market! These people deserve a good price for their car!

There are a lot of young tire kickers out there trying to snatch up a "good buy" and see if they can get a "deal" - on the good ones - there is no deal - they sell for right around what they should. I support that and anyone that sells cheap is just hurting the market and fellow owners and the Marque! I has spoken ....:wink: Anyone remember "Lil Abner".....probably not any of you "younguns"....:smile:

I just love that part.

Get the "Ferrari effect" without the headache and financial heartache (esp. now that the NSX is a better investment than if you bought a house a few years ago).

Unrealistic prices - I would agree on some for sale on Prime but those guys don't care if they sell or not. They may even have a car that there were 10 made that year in their color combo or maybe even less than that with super low mileage THAT CAN'T BE DUPLICATED!!!. What makes a car valuable - mileage and low manufactured numbers - right? That's assuming all maintenance is totally up and proper according to the "book" - not somebodies idea of what they live with - no I've seen too many like that for sale and they are over priced usually.

Lots of guys buy these cars and can't afford to maintain them properly - say "it's a Honda - I don't need to do anything - it'll be fine and I'll only own a couple of years" - yeah and they drive the poo out of it and then try and sell it for what they paid for it - NOT HAPPNIN! Those are the guys that bug me. Try and strap their stuff on you without ever doing anything they should have - nothing but add miles on the odometer! They don't do the marque or the NSX image any good at all - too many of them around to suite me.

I'd much rather see the kind of people we usually have on Prime selling cars that have history of good maintenance and continued good maintenance under their ownership asking a "proper" price for the car. What helps a car hold its value???? - good records, good maintenance and a lot of TLC by the owner and then they command the high point of the market! These people deserve a good price for their car!

There are a lot of young tire kickers out there trying to snatch up a "good buy" and see if they can get a "deal" - on the good ones - there is no deal - they sell for right around what they should. I support that and anyone that sells cheap is just hurting the market and fellow owners and the Marque! I has spoken ....:wink: Anyone remember "Lil Abner".....probably not any of you "younguns"....:smile:

Good point. I've been reading prime for months before I registered with the site. I've done some research and that research includes attempting to find what people paid for their vehicles in the past. I came to the conclusion that I mentioned in my previous post; prices are similar to 8-10 years ago. I myself am looking to purchase an NSX in the near future. I currently own an S2000 and have been making five-fold payments in an attempt to pay off the vehicle more than two years ahead of schedule. I'll need to sell my S2000 to roll over into the purchase of an NSX along with a large sum of my own cash. Initially, I thought about a price point of ~24k-28k. After much thought I've determined, at that price point, thousands would need to be sunk into the vehicle to bring it up to a standard with which I am comfortable. So I've opened up the possibility of going over $30k for a lower mileage, clean and well maintained vehicle. Spend the money at purchase or spend it after the fact, either way the funds will need to be allocated.

What makes you say that - which ones? A lot of the guys that are selling late model NSXs have a very rare car and color - they may be asking a little more than they'll get but most do figuring they'll have to come down some - let's take your car for example.

I know you've most likely done some things to yours since you bought it - what are the stats - what did you pay for it and what does it need. Mileage and last service and then finally what would you sell yours for if you were to sell it? I bet you'll have a little different story when it comes to your own personal vehicle...

A quick browse through the for sale section on Prime you can see lots of cars with monthly bumps, some ads have been bumped more than 10, 12 times which means it's been for sale for a year (or more)! In general I would say if a car hasn't sold for 6 months the chance to have it sold is very slim. So what causes it not to sell? Unrealistic asking price - most likely.

About maintenance, the most expensive items are probably the WP/TB service and the clutch, which only need to be replaced once in a very long time. Other regular items should be fairly affordable to most people.

Back