• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Production Trivia

I’ve been collecting NSX production trivia from various sources for several months and would like to know if any of the statements are incorrect. I'm still refining and editing.

Thanks.

------------

MANUFACTURING

The NSX is that it is the only car from a major manufacturer that is still built entirely by hand.

All NSX are produced in 1 factory in Tochigi, Japan that was specifically built for the production of NSX’s

The assembly facility was envisioned as one in which the motivation for producing a quality automotive product comes from the people building it rather than being infused from above by management.

The 200 member assembly staff was hand-selected from thousands of applicants.
• To be considered for the team, applicants had to have at least
10 years of Honda manufacturing experience and must have
distinguished themselves as having skills above the average
technician—craftsmanship and attention to detail is of primary
importance.

This plant has no automated conveyor line. Rather, each car is mounted
on a dolly and pushed by hand from one workstation to the next.
• The car is not passed on to the next area until the team is satisfied
that their procedures have achieved the tolerances and goals
required assureing themselves that the work is done to blueprint
specifications. Each assembly station, in effect, also functions
as an inspection station.

Also for each NSX there is only one person that is in charge of building the entire engine from start to finish by hand.

At the end of the assembly process each NSX is driven on a 500-meter indoor track to check for functioning of major controls.
• Then each car is driven for three laps on the Tochigi Proving
Grounds’ high-banked 2 1/2 mile oval. During the test session,
the car is evaluated for braking performance, excessive wind
noise and high-speed stability.

POWERTRAIN

VTEC System (Unique Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)
• First application in U.S.
• Uses two different cam profiles to improve low-end torque and
high-end power
• Boosts engine performance to more than 90 hp per liter

Variable Volume Induction System
• Improves power and torque by optimizing air induction at all rpm

Direct Ignition (Eliminates distributor)
• Each plug has its own ignition coil, similar to a racing engine
• Delivers stable high voltage to spark plug

Titanium Connecting Rods
• World’s first use in a production car
• Stronger than steel, lightweight -- saves 190 grams
• Reduces reciprocating mass for high-rpm engine operation
• Reducing reciprocating mass allows:
• Increased engine speed, reduced crankshaft stress,
and/or a lighter crankshaft, and generation of less noise,
vibration, and sideways thrust on pistons.
• In the NSX, titanium is said to give a 700 rpm increase in engine
speed over steel connecting rods, a 30 per cent reduction in weight
and enhanced fatigue resistance.

BODY / CHASSIS

World’s first mass produced all-aluminum body 3 different kinds of “exotic” (to the auto industry) aluminum:
1. The cosmetic outer panels are made of a 6083 T4. The temper
comes from the heat dry paint process cooling slowly.
2. The frame is a 5182, and the side sill (rocker) is an extruded 6061 T6.
3. The suspension pieces are forged 6061 T6.

The dies used to put the shape in the hood, fenders and doors have to be polished every few stampings just to keep them clean so the aluminum does not gall, grab or stick to the die.

• Aluminum Unit-Body Construction
• Unit body weighs only 462 lbs — 40% less than steel
• Incorporates unique high-strength extruded-aluminum side sills
• Unique heat treatment ensures surface hardness
• Highly corrosion resistant
• High torsional and bending rigidity
• 60% of all welds in the NSX are done by hand.
• Ectrolyses, bolts used in the NSX to connect different metals or alloys all have a special Dacron coating.

• All-Aluminum Suspension—4-wheel double-wishbone design
• Forged-aluminum suspension arms for strength, low unsprung weight
• Front suspension utilizes unique compliance pivot (limits toe-change in a corner or when riding over road-bumps) for ideal suspension geometry and ride quality 44 lbs lighter than steel
• Four-Channel Anti-Lock Braking; System (ABS) - First production use in U.S.

------------

Last we heard, Honda was planning to shut down the production line at Tochigi, and move production of the various models (NSX, S2000, Insight) to one of their bigger plants (Suzuka, maybe?). I don't know if that affects any of the manufacturing methods and processes or not.

I never get tired of reading about this car. I just hope the model is 1/2 of what this model is, if and when it is made.

steveny said:
Has a NSX been crashed, by accident, on any of the testing tracks?
I don't know, but based on the recent experience of some other marques, this seems to be the responsibility of the top management executives. :D

92NSX said:
Sounds like the exact same things that are in print in my NSX book. ;)
I think the Integra was the first car to make use of VTEC.

Some of the facts did come from the NSX Book. :)
Other bits of info came from discussions here on prime.

There was a link about which car was the first to showcase VTEC in the US.
I can't remenber the results.

I beleive I found that NSX was the first with VTEC in a book. Not that it makes the statement correct, but I would hope the sources who print the book have varified the statement, vs. someone who saw it on the internet.
I'll have to do some checking.

Forgot the 'Senna had a hand in tuning the suspension'.
Don't know about the 4 channel ABS being the first in the US, as Honda say the NSX is the first midengined car with 4 channel ABS.
Also they say, first midengined car with an airbag.
First midengined car to be offered as an automatic (or tiptronic).
NSX redefined ease of use in a midengined with 270deg of visibility.
NSX uses 'in wheel' double wishbone suspension, not the same double wishbone suspension as other Hondas.
First midengined car with cruise control.
First aluminium monocoque. Some debate here as to whether the Audi A8 was the first aluminium car, but that is a space frame chassis.

Engine designed by same people that worked on the F1 V6 turbo engines.
Possibly (from memory) first car to have stress analysis of chassis performed by Cray supercomputer.

b.gill said:
There was a link about which car was the first to showcase VTEC in the US.I can't remenber the results.

I beleive I found that NSX was the first with VTEC in a book. Not that it makes the statement correct, but I would hope the sources who print the book have varified the statement, vs. someone who saw it on the internet.
I'll have to do some checking.

Integra was before the NSX with VTEC.
BTW, I didn't 'see' it on the internet.

The first Japanese Super Car
The first split AC system
The only car developed using a Super computer for stress analysis

I'm sure there are others, I will check my books

Did someone say dveloped by Senna

Went to an exotic car gathering at Crystal Cove in Laguna beach last Saturday. A great turn out of a wide variety of cars. My personal highlight being a Ferrari F40.
Had the opportunity to speak with the National Advertising and Marketing Manager for Acura North America, and he confirms that without a doubt the full version of the Vtec engine made its first appearance in the NSX.

He was also tight lipped about the HSC, saying that things have had a direction change from where they were. An evasive answer at best, but he’s been with Acura for over 15 years and won’t give away any information that he shouldn’t.

As I understand it, the NSX was the first production VTEC in the US, but the rest of the world got a 1989 Civic Si with a VTEC engine.

The first VTEC integra in the US was the 1992 GS-R, IIRC, which arrived about a year after the 1991 NSX.

Just to clear up some confusion, I did specifically ask about the Prelude and Integra having Vtec before the NSX. And his answer was, the NSX was the first to have the FULL version of Vtec. The Integra and Prelude didn't have some engine components that gave the Vtec it's full capabilities.

The first DOHC VTEC engine from Honda was the B16A engine, and it was first available in Japan with 1989 DA6 Integra. In the same year EF8 CRX SIR and EF9 Civic SIR had the same engine too. Then the NSX came out. Prelude did not have VTEC engines at that time.

Casper,

What about the 27-step painting process?
AFAIK, pretty exclusive compard to for almost every other car out there.

This is out of my head:

One of the first uses of a double-paned rear-window to prevent fogging.

The NSX proved to be so reliable that in '94 is was on 1st place together with a Lexus in the JD-Powers car-defect list (that is, least number of defects)

Specifically developed tires for the car by Yokohama.

Materials for the seats and dash (leather and vinlyl) specifically selected for long-life expentancy rather than good-looks.

Reason for not-like-leather smelling leather seats because of the Japanese dislike for the smell as opposite to the very specific smell of leather in European cars.

MvM said:
Casper,
What about the 27-step painting process?
AFAIK, pretty exclusive compard to for almost every other car out there.
I have this info, but chose not to add it to the list at the time. But good point. A unique process.

MvM said:
One of the first uses of a double-paned rear-window to prevent fogging.

The NSX proved to be so reliable that in '94 is was on 1st place together with a Lexus in the JD-Powers car-defect list (that is, least number of defects)
Did not hear about this. Thanks

MvM said:
Specifically developed tires for the car by Yokohama.
I've heard this one, but need more specific information to add it to the list. Send me specifics if you come across them.

MvM said:
Materials for the seats and dash (leather and vinlyl) specifically selected for long-life expentancy rather than good-looks.
Reason for not-like-leather smelling leather seats because of the Japanese dislike for the smell as opposite to the very specific smell of leather in European cars.
This is new to me also. Interesting.
Thanks for the info. :smile:

The original reason I started gathering all this was to display some of this information if my car was at a show. The NSX has an amazing developmental history. I'm sure most people are unaware.

Last edited:
Back