• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R conversion Cost

What is the cost to make a 91 NSX to look exactly like an NSX-R?

Parts(replica can be used)?
Labor?

Please reply~ this is my first post..

Depends what year NSXR you want it to look like.

If you decide on the 2002 NSXR look, expect to pay close to 20k if not more.

If you want it to look like the "older" NSXR then I think you won't be spending too much after you've bought the car. The only part you'll need would be the white wheels. As long as the car is white with black top then it'll look pretty damn close with the wheels. Oh yeah, you'll need the JDM rear lights.

I think that's about it. I'm sure others will jump in soon with more accurate numbers.

I only want the car to look like 02 nsx-r
Which parts do i need to change?
are you sure is 20k?
i read a post in picture gallery.
n1-R(?) only spent 10k Canadian! (no R wing yet)
convert to US.. that's only near 7k..

Can you please show me how you get 20k?

By the way, where can i get the new 02R headlamp? i want HID 2... will it just bolt on to a 91 nsx? what parts do i need to change in order to fit the light.

if I'm not mistaken, the parts alone for the front end conversion were around 6k, not including labor. Then there's the rear end(lights, diffuser) which should run around 1300.00. Then you have the wheels, DaliRacing sells them for 4750.00. The NSXR hood copy you can get at Science of Speed for about 1800.00. On top of all of this you'll factor in labor and painting(depending on what color your car currently is), and in the end you're spending more than you'd want to IMO.

NA-1 used a modified Taitec hood and was using Enkei RPO-1 wheels. If you substituted some parts here and there then you should be able to bring the total cost down significantly.

Another factor would be where you bought the parts from and for how much.

The '02 lights do not bolt right in, you'll need to cut some of the inside structure for it to sit flush. You'll need front bumper and hood to name a few. All '02 come with HID.

Personally, I like the look of the older NSX-R vs. the new one.

Do another search in the picture gallery for Samson's(I think) car. He has detailed pictures of the front end installation. Lud posted it under '02 conversion, or something like that.

E.T. said:
What is the cost to make a 91 NSX to look exactly like an NSX-R?

Parts(replica can be used)?
Labor?

Please reply~ this is my first post..
"Exactly" will cost you some big $. Don't forget to change out the front fenders, and rear 1/4 panels, these are different on all JDM NSXs not just the R models. Oh yeah the entire car needs to be repainted, the NSXR has a specific paint. Other little things like calipers, mirrors, H emblems... I'm all for JDM conversions, but you would be better off buying a 92 NSXR and importing it. The car would be cheaper and you would have all the JDM interior goodies as well.

I almost forgot, the NSXR does not have HID, and the headlights differ from US version. Check out the pic... white housing anyone?

Attachments

• nsx r.jpg
    nsx r.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 874
different ppl like differnt things, i like 02 R

Can you give me some more detail on how NA-1 done it??

Re: Re: NSX-R conversion Cost

JDM JUNKIE said:
"I'm all for JDM conversions, but you would be better off buying a 92 NSXR and importing it. The car would be cheaper and you would have all the JDM interior goodies as well.

This can't be done as the NSX-R has never been legalized for the US. It can't be imported. There have been a ton of threads on this...

As for the conversion... The difference between $20k and $7k is basically the difference between actually converting the car and approximating the look of the R with pure cosmetics. You can cut corners like getting a cheap replica hood, cheap replica lights (rather than a real 02 conversion), cheap replica wheels, etc.

Personally, I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that, but to each his own...

This will give you an idea of what needs to be done:

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owners/wsham/wilson_sham.htm

Although the hood, the rear spoiler, wheels, and some minor parts will differ.

The bottom line is that this WILL NOT be a bolt on affair. Some cutting and permanent modification must be done. I think the reason why people are suggesting that you go for an NA1 NSX-R conversion is that this is something that won't require any permanent modifications (except for the paint job ofcourse).

I know that everyone has their own preferences, but to me cutting up a perfectly well-built car is sacrilege IMHO. If you have an '02+ NSX that would be a different story altogether.

Re: Re: Re: NSX-R conversion Cost

spookyp said:
This can't be done as the NSX-R has never been legalized for the US. It can't be imported. There have been a ton of threads on this...

As for the conversion... The difference between $20k and $7k is basically the difference between actually converting the car and approximating the look of the R with pure cosmetics. You can cut corners like getting a cheap replica hood, cheap replica lights (rather than a real 02 conversion), cheap replica wheels, etc.

Personally, I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that, but to each his own...

:confused: What... Why??
It is legal to import a car to the US as along as it has a US counterpart. The NSXR is an NSX, it has the same engine code for the EPA regulations same chassis... Why would it be legal to import Civic Type R's Integra R's even Skylines, and not the NSXR?
:confused: Please explain

i don't want to rehash this so search the forum... it's not conjecture... the nsxr meets the criteria for NOT being an nsx as per the govt safety board. it would require its own crash testing and certification... again, search the archive for the info...

The Skyline can NOT be legally imported by anyone other than Motorex who paid for, and owns, the crash data on it... again, this is old news..

Last edited:
I have read the information on Prime about this topic, but I'm not the type of person who believes everything I read on the internet. However, from what I gathered from this website http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmnb.htm (read 3. Permanent Importations)
I don't see why one cannot import a NSXR to the US.

As for Importing a Skyline a good friend of mine Takashi Ohira has a R32 here in Colorado that he brought over himself. You don't HAVE to go through Motorex.

I can't understand your reasoning unless you explain it, I might be wrong about the NSXR, if I am I just want someone to tell me why.
Thanks

Re: Re: NSX-R conversion Cost

JDM JUNKIE said:
...I'm all for JDM conversions, but you would be better off buying a 92 NSXR and importing it. The car would be cheaper and you would have all the JDM interior goodies as well.
I almost forgot, the NSXR does not have HID, and the headlights differ from US version. Check out the pic... white housing anyone?
SoS "whitey" has the NSX-R '02 headlamps with white inserts. Unclear if he used regular NSX '02 housings and painted the outer layer of the reflectors, or used a real NSX-R part. Also ICBW but they have HID, or its at least an available option. I've seen them first-hand.

Note that the NSX-R is premium priced -- IIRC its approx $12-15K (depending on USD:JPY conversion) more than the NSX coupe, in white.

I've also seen several JDM cars with OEM "NSX-R" and "Type S" parts as well.... badging and seats seem to be the common add-ons. Also interesting is seeing JDM cars that convert them to "US ACURA" spec -- have seen at least 2-3.

JDM JUNKIE said:
I suspect that bringing one in under "show and display" status is probably do-able... to go through the federalization process is probably cost-prohibitive for a one-off deal. But certainly not "impossible" from a theoretical cost-no-object standpoint.

Folks like Motorex have paved the way with some marques (and at a handsome profit too), and this bodes well for future DIY grey-marketing on those marques.

Another option might be to locate a crashed car, with the desired parts intact, and have it brought in. Several folks I know brought in JDM cars this way (Lancer EVOs, JDM Honda Type Rs, etc)

Styling conversion only right? Not engine and weight reduction as well. The NSX-R does not have HID? Why do some of the its pics with its exposed white headlight housing emit a bluish glow/tint in some of the pics?

Tan

white headlight housing does not have HID.silver one has HID.
the NSX-R�@has white one fundamentally for weight reduction.
but it can change into silver one with HID on a custom order.
ofcourse you can install HID in white one or paint silver one white.

bluish glow/tint ... its not related to HID.

can you understand my poor english? :confused:

just look at pictures of any year NSXR vs. NA-1's car and you'll be able to tell the cosmetic differences.

JDM JUNKIE said:
I have read the information on Prime about this topic, but I'm not the type of person who believes everything I read on the internet. However, from what I gathered from this website http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmnb.htm (read 3. Permanent Importations)

As for Importing a Skyline a good friend of mine Takashi Ohira has a R32 here in Colorado that he brought over himself. You don't HAVE to go through Motorex.

I can't understand your reasoning unless you explain it, I might be wrong about the NSXR, if I am I just want someone to tell me why.
Thanks

The NSX-R would not pass emisions or crash test. It has no airbags or enough smog equipment. You could import it for racing or showing only.

i don't know about crash test and emission. but i believe that without airbag is not a problem!!

Back