• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R engine

has anyone here in US swapped NSX-R engine (1st or 2nd generation R) into their NSX?

if so, how did it turn out?

i am very curious.. there are so many ppl swapping engine with j-spec's from Japan.. how come i never heard of ppl doing the same for NSX?

is NSX-R more powerful than NA1 and NA2?

-jjc.

I wish someone would DYNO the NSX-R so we could see exactly what the difference is. Like AndyH said, it is not more powerful. I have heard maybe 300-310HP, but I have never seen any proof of that.

Surely someone in Japan has slapped one on the dyno.

The -R engines are supposed to be blueprinted and balanced, that's about it. I do not think you'd get much out of swapping one into your car. You would probably also have to change your ECU and maybe a few other things. Different emissions and so on are is probably responsible for any minor variation in power moreso than the engine itself.

What makes the Type R great isn't just that the engine is balanced and blueprinted. Don't get just the engine, get the entire car (if possible).

Last edited:
I met a guy locally at the acura dealer who said he owned an nsx-r engine that he bought from japan when he was there. Said he was waiting for his current engine to blow before he put it in. I tried to email him to see if I could come by and see his car since he had a comptech supercharger on it but he never replied to me.
If I ever meet him again I'll be sure to ask him what's up and see if he ever did the swap though.

The work reportedly done to the NSX-R powerplant can be duplicated here for a fraction of the price. For the same price, you can have work done to increase natural aspiration output beyond the NSX-R engine. The lack of information on the output of the NSX-R definitely adds to it's mystique. :)

Cheers,
-- Chris

I will ask a friend in Japan to see if he can find someone or some information on the HP of an NSX-R. Give a little while and I will report my findings.

the only real thing i think you "gain" in swapping a nsx-r engine is the bragging rights. the nsx-r is faster because of the entire car, not only because of the engine. like others said before, it was supposedly blueprinted and balanced.

i agree with nsxtacy with b18c5's are very common in hb's. why? its a great all motor engine to start. not everyone is into FI.

Chris@SoS said:
The work reportedly done to the NSX-R powerplant can be duplicated here for a fraction of the price. For the same price, you can have work done to increase natural aspiration output beyond the NSX-R engine. The lack of information on the output of the NSX-R definitely adds to it's mystique. :)

Cheers,
-- Chris

???

How much would it cost to have the NSX balanced/blue printed/high compression pistions/headers/intake/exhaust/port/polish...

Any links?

Hi all,

The reason i started this post is that i really like NA engine, and i like stock engine too.

I understand FI will be more cost effective to bang a few hp out of our car, but, i am not very interested in doing so.

from looking at the NSX-R spec, it seems like NSX-R engine cover a bit more dynograph area... meaning it reaches more higher hp/tq sooner.

This will make difference in acceleration.. also, because of the japan HP limitation.. they are not "allow" to go over 280 hp.. i am sure everone follow that limitation.

Anyways, i would love to see NSX-R vs NSX on the dyno back to back..

-jjc.

Well it's still rated at 280ps here: http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto/nsx-r/200205/11.html

It will rev better but it's a big gamble that it makes more hp if you ask me.

That whole 280 rule thing and how the cars really make more power usually is only applicable to the turbo cars. It's a lot easier to build an engine to hold 30psi and just sell it at 8psi to get around that. An NA motor is tougher to just turn up the power unfortunately. But it's a lot of fun when you do. :)

I tend to prefer normal aspiration as well, even if it is more expensive per horsepower to modify it that way. There's something that just seems so much more pure about NA.

My mom's (no, I don't live at home) Volvo turbo gets on my nerves: the turbo kicks in at about 3k, and you can really feel it, so when I try and power out of a turn, just before I finish, there's an unwelcome surge that forces me to lift off the throttle and spoils the smoothness of the whole thing.

Never driven a supercharged car, though.

I wouldn't count too much on dyno results. What counts for me is that the R is about 4 seconds faster than the "normal" 3.2 l at Hockenheim short course or more than 30 seconds faster on Nurburgring Nordschleife which is a different world.

That difference has not a lot to do with the engine but with suspension, weight, aerodynamics and tires - things you can alter at your car too with much less money than you need for swapping the engine.

AFAIK the laptimes in Hockenheim and Nurburgring where driven with a new standard NSX-R in the sport auto supertest.

And, yes: Of course the R has different gears and a shorter overall transmission but the effects of that may be marginal depending on the track if you compare it with a standard 6-gear NSX.

Hi NSX-Racer,

I thought that the NSX-R 6 speed gearbox is different to the other 6 speed gearboxes.
Here are my datas.

NA 2 Standard 6-Speed
1st Gear Ratio 3,006:1
2nd Gear Ration 1,956:1
3th Gear Ratio 1,428:1
4th Gear Ratio 1,125:1
5th Gear Ratio 0,914:1
6th Gear Ratio 0,717:1
Final Drive Ratio 4,062:1

NSX-R 6-Speed
same gear ratios, but
Final Drive Ratio 4.620 :1

I think thats a huge difference.
Please correct me if my datas are wrong.

Much fun at friday.

The link I posted above has all the information, why doesn't anybody click links? :p

Anyway:

1‘¬ 3.066
2‘¬ 1.956
3‘¬ 1.428
4‘¬ 1.125
5‘¬ 0.914
6‘¬ 0.717
Œã‘Þ 3.186
Œ¸‘¬”ä 4.235

So the Final drive is 4.235, not 4.6xx

Oooops,
NSX-Racer is right.
In germany, sport auto magazine presented that datas in the supertest.

NA 2 NSX-R
1st Gear Ratio 3,006:1
2nd Gear Ration 1,956:1
3th Gear Ratio 1,428:1
4th Gear Ratio 1,125:1
5th Gear Ratio 0,914:1
6th Gear Ratio 0,717:1
Final Drive Ratio 4,062:1

Its exactly the same worth as the standard NSX.

I'll try to get some specific answers about that.

Well in some magazine reviews and tests shorter gears are mentioned, moreover they say its the reason why it has lower top speed and better accel. 0-60 in just 4.4 sec.

Twincam said:
Well in some magazine reviews and tests shorter gears are mentioned, moreover they say its the reason why it has lower top speed and better accel. 0-60 in just 4.4 sec.
As noted above, the ratios of those individual gears (first through sixth) are exactly the same for all six-speed NSXs and the JDM NSX-R.

If the ratio of the ring and pinion gear (also known as the final drive) is changed from 4.062 to 4.235 - which, incidentally, it was on the original five-speed NSX-R - Bob Butler's calculations show that that reduces the 0-60 time by 0.13 second. His calculations also show that significant weight reduction can have a bigger impact than gearing; for example, reducing the weight 100 pounds will reduce 0-60 time by 0.16 second (and I think the NSX-R weight reduction is greater than 100 pounds).

A higher final drive will lower your top speed in every gear which means more acceleration in every gear especially for a smooth revving car with a wide powerband like the NSX.

Back