• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX repaint

I am hoping to repaint my NSX yellow when I get one in the near future. My budget is low so I can only afford ealier models where the yellow wasn't available. I was wondering around how much $$ I should be looking to spend to get the NSX repainted in the color I want. Also where should I go to get the repaint done? Thanks a lot~

------------------
- [email protected] -

GM,

Do a search and you'll find a number of posts on this topic.

There's also a thread over at NSXSC...

http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001390.html

I think it's fair to say that the consensus is NOT to repaint a NSX another color unless.....

1. You plan to keep the car forever and/or don't care about resale value.

2. You have the money to do the job properly. Properly means that the paint shop is familiar with the NSX and working with aluminum bodies (pick up the factory NSX Body and Paint guide and you see what I'm referring to) and the body shop pretty much strips the entire car to paint the ENTIRE car.

It could very well cost $15K-$20K to do the job correctly and after you're all done you may have a car that's worth less than a comparable original color car.

Not to mention you might be without your car for several months.

If you really want to do this, then do it. It's your money, but don't even think of doing unless you do it right.

Since you don't yet have a NSX, I suppose you could find one that needed a paint job and a lot of work (have to remove the engine too) anyway. This might make such a project feasible if you can save money on the car.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 05 August 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 05 August 2002).]

I agree with Jimbo. If your budget is that low, then don't waste your money on repainting a car that doesn't need it. You will be spending a lot of money to do something which lowers the market value of your car.

Here are two alternatives if you simply must have yellow:

1. Wait, and keep saving until you have enough for a '97+. The prices on the '97 have steadily fallen, and you can now get one in the mid to upper forties. Yellow was tied for the highest number of '97 sold, so it is not difficult to find.

2. Buy an early NSX in a different color. Don't repaint it, but keep saving your money. When you have enough saved up, sell it or trade it in, and buy a '97.

Thanks for your concerns Jimbo and nsxtasy. I didn't know body repaint would be such a pain. However I waited for a Looooooong time to this day (and counting) to even be ready to get me an NSX, and I'm just too damn eager to wait another 6 years til I can afford a 97 model. I've been wanting the NSX for some time now, and once I get it I don't think I would worry too much about the resale value since I have no intention of selling it. Basically I want MY NSX and I don't really care what the blue book price is...

What I don't like about the earlier models is the black top compared to, for example, a red body. I want the body and the top be the same color, and if possible I would love my NSX to be Spa Yellow. So I was hoping I could repaint for around 5K. I am not too worried about the engine bay not being the same color as the body, I just love the Spa Yellow too much. It's just too damn sexy!!

I am not sure how different the original paint and a repainted custom paint could be but since I've seen some repainted cars, I didn't think it would be such an expensive and time consuming process...

Errrr.... reading your replies made me even more indecisive of what I should do. help~~~

oh also I remember seeing two 91 yellow repainted NSXs on Ebay about a little less than a year ago (which is how I came about this idea). If any of you remember this car, do you know how this paint job was done? Thanks a bunch

------------------
* i need to be well prepared when I get my own NSX. Gimme some NSXducation people!!

- [email protected] -

Originally posted by GookusMaximus:
What I don't like about the earlier models is the black top compared to, for example, a red body. I want the body and the top be the same color

Get a black one.
biggrin.gif

GM,

You can certainly get a NSX education here. So, here's another bit of advice/education...

Don't let your emotions get too out of line with reality and common sense.

You say you're not too worried about the engine bay being a different color than the exterior?!!

You *should* be worried about that and you should be reasonably worried, or at least mindful, about the resale value.

Fortunately I've not seen a butchered NSX that had a different color engine compartment (and other areas), but I have seen many other cars that were wrecked in this manner...and it's just plain sad.

What more can I say?

Let's see...

Most NSX enthusiasts (or any car enthusiasts either) will not think that a poorly repainted car with a different color trunk and engine compartment will be "damn sexy" at all. They might smile and tell you that you have cool car to your face, but they'll walk away shaking their head and wonder how could someone screw up such a nice car. It's something you might expect to see on a 1982 Camaro...but not a NSX.

Indecisive?...

Get the cleanest, nicest, best 1991-92 NSX you can afford in any color and don't butcher it.

Or...

Get a beaten, rough, poor condition 1991-92 NSX and paint any color you like. Just be sure to do it properly.

Class over.
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------

Jimbo's right.

I guess I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to stretch with all their savings to get a car and then throw money away on it.

Let's say you get an average '91 NSX and pay $30K for it, then spend $8K (an average figure) on repainting it, so you've got $38K invested in a car that's now worth only $25K due to the repaint.

Plus, if you've spent all your money on the car, and it's your only means of transportation, where are you going to get $2200 when the clutch needs replacing?

The fact is, an NSX - and, particularly, an early NSX - is not a very good car for a recent college graduate who doesn't have a lot of money. You won't be able to afford to keep it nice. You'll probably be stuck driving your NSX into some areas where you would rather not - just because it's your only car. And you'll be stuck driving it in the winter, and the NSX is most certainly NOT a good winter car, even if you spend another thou on winter tires and an extra set of wheels.

If I were you, I would get a much less expensive car to start out - perhaps a new Civic Si, or a used Integra GS-R - something that is reliable and respectable but more versatile than the NSX. Hold onto the extra money you may have, and continue to save up. When you have enough savings and a stable, adequate income, that's the time to get the NSX - not when you have to spend every last dime on a car that you can't take everywhere and you can't afford to maintain.

I say to each their own... if you have no intention on selling the car, then do with it as you please because the car serves one purpose, to please YOU the owner.

If you plan on reselling it, then like the others say there are things you need to keep in mind IF YOU CARE about the resale value...

I know my 92' is worth a certain dollar amount, but does that stop me from changing it? Absolutely not because the car serves its purpose, to please ME the owner... however I have no intention on selling my vechile, so I don't have to worry about how my changes affect the resale....

My point is do what makes you happy, and just remember what the consequences are if you do make changes on a vehicle you don't intend on keeping.

-B

I was having alot of problems with my car, and later found out that the private party who sold me the car lied to me about the car that it had not been in an accident. In fact it was in an accident and sustained frame damage. But before I knew this, my seats began to tear, my paint sustained some scratches and chip, and front black scrape guard and sunvisor was coming apart, etc. I was thinking about doing a complete restoration project. I spent time contacting and obtaining discount prices on parts as well as labor to do this project. It was not cheap at all. If I poured $10-$15K restoring my car, wouldn't it be more prudent to trade in my car and add $10-$15K and get a newer and better NSX?

I did, I took delivery of an '01 NSX last week. Best decision I ever made, and I don't think any restoration can amount to the beauty of the original.

One other point regarding concerns over market value - even if you plan on holding onto the car indefinitely, you may still need to be careful about where you put money in. For example, let's say you buy a used NSX for $30K and that's a fair price for it. If you spend $8K to repaint it a different color, and the car is then stolen, the insurance company might give you $30K for it, but not $38K. So that $8K just flew out the window. If that's no problem for you, it's no big deal. But if you can't afford losing that $8K, you might have been better not repainting the car in the first place.

Caveat painter.

Whoa~ I feel like i'm beeing scolded to hell on this thread for wanting to repaint an earlier NSX. hehe. Ok i got the idea on what to do and especially what NOT to do... so I think my only option left is to get a black on black
wink.gif
Thanks for the advice everyone!!

------------------
* i need to be well prepared when I get my own NSX. Gimme some NSXducation people!!

- [email protected] -

Another option, and one that is more common than a repaint - is to buy the color of NSX you prefer and then have just the roof painted to match the rest of the car. Acura began doing this in later years and some owners of earlier years preferred the look and had theirs painted. I think it is also relatively inexpensive and unlike a total repaint, it likely won't negatively effect resale values.

Originally posted by kpond:
Another option, and one that is more common than a repaint - is to buy the color of NSX you prefer and then have just the roof painted to match the rest of the car...

Yeah! Just find a '91 Spa Yellow and paint the roof!
biggrin.gif
(and yes Ken, I realize the '91 didn't come in Spa Yellow.
wink.gif
BTW, I agree he should get a black one!)

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 09 August 2002).]

Hey GookusMaximus

Well after reading all the post to your question. It worked me up enough that I want to put my 2 cents in.

I know there are a lot of purist that would like to hang for saying what I am going to say.

I have an NSX and it has been repainted. It was a 91 red NSX. It is now Sapphire Blue. I love the color. The other thing is that I stand out as being different when I get together with other NSX and I like that. If you are looking at getting an older NSX I would not so much concern my self with the resale value. I mean if you go to try to trade in an 91 or 92 NSX on something else they are only seeming to give you in the low 20 any ways no matter what color or milage you have on it.

My theory is make the car an extention of your personality. And if you are an orange person and all you can afford is a 91. PAINT IT. Remember it is only a car and the color can always be changed back. Not big thing.

It just seems to be that every one is just so worried about the resell value. I could only afford a 91 NSX. and I HATE the color Red. Thing that drew me to mine car is that it had been repainted Blue. Most people think it is a much new car. I have never had any one tell me that I it looked better red. I think one less red NSX is not going to be a big deal seeing how something like more then 1500 were painted red in 91.

I hope I have not hurt to many of you all feelings but I say let him do with the car that makes him feel happy. Remember it is his car not yours. I dont feel I have the right to tell another guy what he should and should not do with is car. I can only give advise and I try to give both sides usually.

Thanks
Jim

Jim,

I would disagree with your assessment that anyone has made the blanket statement not to repaint. Just the contrary. I don't think anyone's been scolded or put down for painting a NSX. The issues of repainting are more complex and I think this thread has discussed those issues back and forth.

Resale value is but one factor to consider when doing a repaint. If someone wants to ignore resale value then, hey, they're adults and they can spend or lose their money however they like. It's obviously their decision to make.

I think what's most important is the quality of the repaint. Doing the job correctly goes beyond resale value and like a number of posters have stated, it's a reflection of yourself. Doing a halfassed job and not painting the engine compartment, trunk areas, etc says something about the individual owner.

Keep in mind, this person came here looking for advice and a number of people, including myself, took the time to offer our opinions.

In the final analysis the decision is up to the owner.

-Jim

------------------

Hey Diveboy,

Do you have any pictures of your NSX you can send me? Or could you post it somewhere on this forum? I still really want the spa yellow... I'm just concerned about the quality of the paintjob everybody's been warning me about. How was your blue paintjob done and how much did it cost you? You can email me @ [email protected] and we can have a private conversation on this topic. Thanks a lot for the reply!!

------------------

- [email protected] -

i've seen the question of repainting come up multiple times and there are some good links/check the faqsearch.

in my limited experience, changing the color on an exotic is a big mistake financially, unless you buy a really high mileage/wrecked or generally less expensive car. from a $ standpoint, you'd want to find a car that has already depreciated out for whatever reason.

just a thought to consider as you make the choice.

good luck

Diveboy,

Perhaps you could offer us info on your experience with your repaint.

How far did you go?

-Jim

if you reread diveboy's post, he didn't have it repainted, he bought it already repainted.

"Thing that drew me to mine car is that it had been repainted Blue"

Yes my car was already repainted before I got it. The person that did have it repainted did the all the engine bays and door jams. You can not tell that it was red. I will have to agree with everyone that the quality is important on the paint job.

I guess I dont worry about what is done with my car because it was once wrecked and it is a high milage car. So I do not worry about the value.

Like I do with all my cars I make the car the way I want it. I would not do the same with a brand new car. But a 91 or 92 I would say go for it. I guess if you have one of those all original with very low milages I would say no. but most 91 or 92 that people have enjoyed driving them have around 100,000 miles not. So the resale value is less then a average typical car now. So have fun with the car. And I love the Pearl Yellow that is on the newer NSX.

Sorry for stepping on any bodies toes.

Jim

P.S. here is the link to the pics of my car. http://briefcase.yahoo.com/jim_e_erwin

[This message has been edited by Diveboy (edited 12 August 2002).]

Originally posted by Diveboy:
I mean if you go to try to trade in an 91 or 92 NSX on something else they are only seeming to give you in the low 20 any ways no matter what color or milage you have on it.

There are two differences between your car and others. One is that your car has a crash history (and probably a salvage title), which is why your car will only sell for low twenties, while a well-maintained '91-92 without excessive mileage can sell for low to mid thirties. The other is that you found a car that had already been repainted; this means that you were able to buy a car whose market value had previously been degraded, without having to pay for the paint job itself. The situation is entirely different for someone who would be paying a higher price for a clean NSX, plus the cost of painting the car, and ending up with a car whose market value declines.

Just like Jimbo, I am not saying that painting is wrong in all circumstances. However, the financial side should be considered. If you can afford to spend the money for the paint job AND you're not concerned about its market value, by all means go for it. Just be aware that you will likely never recover the money you spend for the repaint, and it could decrease the value of your car if your circumstances force you to sell it.

For anyone who is already stretching his finances to be able to buy the car in the first place, spending an additional $5-10K to repaint the car is almost certainly a bad idea. OTOH, you can buy a black one, and if your finances in the future reach the point that you can afford losing that money, you can always repaint it later. (Or, alternatively, you can always trade it in on a yellow '97 later.)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 12 August 2002).]

Actually, the person who might really shed some light on the topic of painting and resale value would be the person that sold the car to Diveboy.
wink.gif

BTW: That's a nice color blue and I'm glad for you that the car was repainted all over.

-Jim

Yo, GM:

git thee to autrader.com pronto & behold your dream come true! a yellow 1991 in portland, oregon for $21,500!

i'm not gonna try and send you a link 'cuz it's this big CGI-string-thing, but just search autotrader for all acura nsxs from any year & any number of miles from your zip code with a price range of $21499 thru $21501 and that oughtta do the trick.

it's at a dealer & its VIN is JH4NA1156MT002289 and the ad is kinda skimpy regarding miles and details.

BUT THE CAR IS YELLOW!!!

Back