• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX review in the Detroit News

FGG

Contributing Member
The Detroit News runs a weekly auto evaluation of various cars under the heading of "HE DROVE, SHE DROVE." The husband wife team of Paul & Anita Lienert do the evaluations. In the Wednesday July 28, 2004 edition, they did an evaluation of the '04 NSX. The title reads, "Acura NSX turns heads," but the subtitle reads, "But 2004 Honda coupe has $90,000 price tag.

Their collective evaluation was that the NSX had more flaws than assets--"especially for $90K."

The quality and intelligence of most of the Lienerts evaluations border on the comedic as they bring little if anything to the table in terms of a typical automotive evaluation; as such, they are like fish out of water even attempting to evaluate the NSX. Their profound ignorance of the car and its "assets," is self-evident when their evaluation is read. Here are a couple of their pearls of wisdom about the car:

"Would you rather have one NSX or a pair of His & Hers Corvettes for about the same price?"

"...the NSX no longer looks or feels quite so special--not when you can buy a 400-horsepower Chevrolet Corvette for well under $50,000 or, for that matter, a Dodge Neon SRT-4 for not much more than $20,000. That little Neon, by the way, makes considerably more torque than the NSX. Embarrasingly for Acura, so does a Chevrolet Impala sedan with the 3.8 liter V-6."

"....she immediately zeroed in on two of its flaws--no lighted vanity mirrors and a new trunk mounted CD changer."

"Needless to say, while the mid-mounted engine makes a pleasant enough noise as it revs up to redline, not much is happening in terms of actual velocity. In other words, I don't believe an SRT-4 would have much trouble blowing the NSX into the weeds."

"But even though the trunk is surprisingly roomy, there's not enough space to stow the top there." (can you say total moron at this point!)

"If you really feel compelled to shell out that kind of silly money, it would be better spent on a Dodge Viper or a Porsche 911. Or, better still, those mom and pop Corvettes."

"Removable roof panel is not heavy, but where do you stow it?"
(ditto on the moron comment)

"Pretty civilized for an exotic wannabe."

and the final insult:

"Cramped cabin, especially passenger side. No side air bags. Disappointing acceleration and power. Chevy Impala has more torque. Not nearly as entertaining as a Corvette or a Viper. Ridiculously overpriced. An anachronism. Looks and feels like a poor man's, generic Ferrari."

Now in fairness to these two goofs they made several "positive" comments:

"In our estimation, the mid-engine NSX is a riot to take out on a Friday night..."

"...so what do you get for your 90 grand? I know what I got. The coveted front of the restaurant valet spot at Giovanni's on a Friday night....and a constant parade of people coming up to our table and wanting to talk about the car. So it still is special and you have to give it credit for turning heads and prompting lots of chatter."

"I'll give Honda credit for this--they made a high performance car that's extremely civilized and extremely easy to drive, unlike the mid-engine Italian exotics that inspired the NSX."

"Even after 13 years, the chasis still feels beautifully balanced, and the car is really a pleasure to drive on twisty, two-lane roads out in the country."

Their overall rating of the car was a 3 out of 5 which stands for "acceptable." Unfortunately, a fair evaluation of the quality of their article is only a 1, "unacceptable.";)

Man, reading bits of that review just pisses me off. A 2004 Nsx can keep up with a 911 in almost all categories. Bring on all Neon SRT-s anyday. Considerably more torque? Sure more to torque-steer the freakin steering wheel to death.

My gosh, a $30,000 Subabru Sti makes considerably more torque than a Ferrari Modena, and so does a 4.7L V8 from a Toyota Sequoia.

But alas, according to them, the Nsx neither looks nor feels special, yet it manages to get the coveted front of the restaurant valet spot at Giovanni's on a Friday night....and a constant parade of people coming up to our table and wanting to talk about the car.

I love this, "the NSX no longer looks or feels quite so special....So it still is special and you have to give it credit for turning heads and prompting lots of chatter."

Last edited:
The bane of intelligent people is... having to live with ignorant people.

I'm sure all exotic car buyers consult this dynamic duo before making their important auto purchasing decisions. :p

I bet no one gives a crap about their opinions. :D

Thats a good point... Their comment about "if you really feel compelled to spend that kind of silly money" shows that they are totally unable to relate to the fact that for some people, spending $80k-90k on a car is not a big deal. Either that, or they are the type that must past judgement on anyone spending more on a material object than they would be willing to, which makes them entirely unfit to properly review automobiles. I'm sure they consider $50k SUVs reasonable though...

BUT... I do have to admit that at $80k+ the NSX is a really tough sell. The fact that sales have been down below 4 figures for 8 years kind of proves this out.

As much as I hated to admit it, faced with actually buying my leased 03, the value proposition is really tough compared to some other options you have at this price point.

Their from detriot... opinions are kind of bias.

I have a hockey coach from micihgan who I am very close with. He told me stories of what they used to do to japanese cars out there. I forgot what they called it but on a certain night of the year they would go out and torch the japanese cars. Ever been to detroit? How many FORD's are there? lol.

I used to spend my summers there... rarely any imports anywhere.

As car enthuist reviewers they are ignorant. It seems they got their jobs because they are the average joe. Average Joe and Jane reviewing cars for the masses. It takes a certain person to really truly apperciate cars like the NSX.

If thats their MO, I wouldnt even bother reading it, to be honest. Personally, Ive got absolutely no interest in what the "average Joe and Jane" think or say since "average" is a depressingly low bar in the US. I'd much rather hear what "above average" experts have to say.

Luckily, Im not in Detroit so avoiding their column isnt much of a problem :D

KulSecHskY said:
Their from detriot... opinions are kind of bias.

I have a hockey coach from micihgan who I am very close with. He told me stories of what they used to do to japanese cars out there. I forgot what they called it but on a certain night of the year they would go out and torch the japanese cars. Ever been to detroit? How many FORD's are there? lol.

I used to spend my summers there... rarely any imports anywhere.

As car enthuist reviewers they are ignorant. It seems they got their jobs because they are the average joe. Average Joe and Jane reviewing cars for the masses. It takes a certain person to really truly apperciate cars like the NSX.

I don't know when you were in Detroit, but I see all kinds of imports every day. I would even go as far as saying that I see a Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, NSX, Lexus virtually everyday.

I agree that this article was very poor and they didn't understand the NSX though.

KulSecHskY said:
He told me stories of what they used to do to japanese cars out there. I forgot what they called it but on a certain night of the year they would go out and torch the japanese cars.

Yea right :rolleyes: Maybe 20-30 years ago on Devil’s night. But back then on that night they’d torch everything.

I’m not sure anyone in Detroit really knows what’s foreign and what’s not anymore. A quick trip down the hallway at a certain company headquartered in Auburn Hills will reveal more German being spoken than English. Like Carguy! says, there’s lots of imports here just like everywhere else.

Fortunately for the City, Devil’s night has been very quiet for the last several years due to extra policing and citizen’s patrols. My wife and I watch the local news that night just to see the visible disappointment on the newscaster’s eyes when they have nothing to report. Well, last year they reported a pumpkin on someone’s porch that had been “vandalized” with an obscene word—that report warranted a live news crew and helicopter shot.

DanO

I am surprised that ACURA did not show them some of the features... LIKE STORING THE TOP!

WHat a bunch of idots. Terrible review.

I do have to say though, it is sad that they think a 20K NEON is faster than a 2004 NSX. In reality though, it is WAY TOO CLOSE for $70K more.

The Interior is dated. No question. They should have replaced the stock radio with an in-dash CD in 1997. Come on HONDA, how hard would that have been???

It seems to be all they are used to driving is cars with a lot of TQ. THe NSX does not feel near as fast as a vette, but in reality it is. They don't understand high-RPM. These tools probably shifted at 6000 RPM the whole time.

FGG said:
The Detroit News runs a weekly auto evaluation of various cars under the heading of "HE DROVE, SHE DROVE." The husband wife team of Paul & Anita Lienert do the evaluations.

What Paul & Anita wrote does make a lot of sense.

As long as it would be useless to talk general relativity with a cat ( even Schroedinger's one :D ) and since it is an immense mismatch to offer Russian/Iranian caviar or Petrus wine to pigs, HE and SHE are, without any doubt, proving that an NSX isn't for them.

Remember, without coldness we can't enjoy warmness.

So does the enjoying of true sports cars from true enthousiasts.

Cheers all.

effer

I am in Michigan and those 2 terds give Michigan and Detroit a bad name. I admit I do not go to Detroit b/c it is been quite bad lately but my god there are import cars all over the place around here. I went to the Ferrari dealer last night just to look and they were having a party w/ some serious cars there. (Diablo, Vanquish, 15-20 Modenas, 5 Maranellos, RR, Maserati, F355, Sergei's ENZO, 911 Turbo, Vettes, and a lot of rich people) It was an awesome sight. We pulled uop in the NSX not knowing of the affair but a lot of people looked @ the NSX except the few jerks who drove by in their Modenas thinking they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I admit the car is awesome but you do not have to act like a stuck up snob just b/c you have one. Unbelivable!

Back to the article and them not knowing there is a place to stow the top, that just shows their intelligence right there. :rolleyes:

It's great that the MI crowd is speaking so vocally. In regards to import vehicles, I'm too confused to determine what is imported, The Honda made in Ohio or the Chevy made in Canada.

Let me clarify. I didn' t mean european imports, I mean jap crap imports ;)

You MI people have to admit there is a strong favoritism of Ford out there. I mean isn't ford the number one employer in the detriot area? Your telling me domestic vehicals don't severely outnumber japanses cars out there? Around my area its hard to see domestics.

'Devil's Night' that's right. I didn't mean it still happens today, just a story I heard from my hockey coach.

jorligan said:
It's great that the MI crowd is speaking so vocally. In regards to import vehicles, I'm too confused to determine what is imported, The Honda made in Ohio or the Chevy made in Canada.

Good point, the whole import domestic rivalry is all pointless IMO, but that's human nature. :rolleyes:

KulSecHskY said:
Let me clarify. I didn' t mean european imports, I mean jap crap imports ;)

You MI people have to admit there is a strong favoritism of Ford out there. I mean isn't ford the number one employer in the detriot area? Your telling me domestic vehicals don't severely outnumber japanses cars out there? Around my area its hard to see domestics.

'Devil's Night' that's right. I didn't mean it still happens today, just a story I heard from my hockey coach.

No doubt that Ford and the other 2 of the big 3 out numner Jap. cars here but there is a big presence and it is becoming bigger. Myself will never buy american b/c I think their quality and service can not even compare to Japanese/Euro. And the Devils night thing in Detroit. I find the only big city that is happy to have segments in the news about Angels night and how to stop all the stupid A$$'s in Detroit from burning the whole city down. Yeah that is something to be proud of. :rolleyes:

If they want to burn it down, let'em for petes sake. Maybe than they can start over and make someting of Detroit but until then or something drasticically happens; Detroit will be the only hole above ground IMO.

ekin95 said:
No doubt that Ford and the other 2 of the big 3 out numner Jap. cars here but there is a big presence and it is becoming bigger. Myself will never buy american b/c I think their quality and service can not even compare to Japanese/Euro. And the Devils night thing in Detroit. I find the only big city that is happy to have segments in the news about Angels night and how to stop all the stupid A$$'s in Detroit from burning the whole city down. Yeah that is something to be proud of. :rolleyes:

If they want to burn it down, let'em for petes sake. Maybe than they can start over and make someting of Detroit but until then or something drasticically happens; Detroit will be the only hole above ground IMO.

To make a statement that you will never buy american seems pretty foolish to me. I own several imports so I am certainly not of the only buy american mentality. It only makes sense to look at all of your options when you are making a large purchase. To not look at an entire segment of a market makes no sense. Less than two years ago I purchased a Ford Excursion for work and traveling. This vehicle now has about 65K miles on its diesel engine and it runs better than it did when it was new, I get over 20mpg on the highway and I am able to put six people in it with full luggage and have room to spare. I don't know of any other vehicle that can compare either foreign or domestic.

Also your comments about Detroit are also somewhat off base, I think the Angels night thing was a good idea and it has drastically cut back on the amount of vandalism that has occured. To make a comment about burning down a city to rebuild and improve it is sad even in jest, do you know how many families live there? You sound like a kid that hasn't quite grown up yet to see there are lots of other sides to most issues. Calling an entire city a hole is just childish.

I have 2 friends designing cars for Ford and one for Mitsubishi (both in Detroit). They told me, although owning an American car is encouraged, they also understand that many regard the euro and japanese countarparts superior. You know what they say, keep your friends close, your enemies closer.

All that torching stuff happened along time ago...the worse that happens nowadays is puntured tires and that is very, very rare. Hell, even the chief designers don't drive company cars....

Spinner said:
even the chief designers don't drive company cars....

saves a lot about their cars don't it? :p

My coach would also joke that for dryland training he would tape a $100 bill to our heads and drop us off in downtown, for 'footwork'. LOL

Carguy! said:
To make a statement that you will never buy american seems pretty foolish to me. I own several imports so I am certainly not of the only buy american mentality. It only makes sense to look at all of your options when you are making a large purchase. To not look at an entire segment of a market makes no sense. Less than two years ago I purchased a Ford Excursion for work and traveling. This vehicle now has about 65K miles on its diesel engine and it runs better than it did when it was new, I get over 20mpg on the highway and I am able to put six people in it with full luggage and have room to spare. I don't know of any other vehicle that can compare either foreign or domestic.

Also your comments about Detroit are also somewhat off base, I think the Angels night thing was a good idea and it has drastically cut back on the amount of vandalism that has occured. To make a comment about burning down a city to rebuild and improve it is sad even in jest, do you know how many families live there? You sound like a kid that hasn't quite grown up yet to see there are lots of other sides to most issues. Calling an entire city a hole is just childish.

Wo....wo.......wo......Someone here needs to back there truck up a bit and stop taking things so personally. It is a free country and I can say what I want. BTW I am not some kid that needs to grow up, I am 27 yrs. old and make a good living and make my own decisions. Whether it is a car purchase or calling a bad city "BAD". You can say that if I do not look @ the entire market makes no sense all you want, I look at what I like and what I know (first hand) is I do not like American quality or designed cars. (except Vettes, but I can not afford one). So I really do not care about your Ford Excursion. If it works for you, great! Don't try to push it on others.

Plus what I said about Detroit was mostly in a joking manner. Sure Angels night has deturred vandalism but to be proud of having it is another thing entirely IMO. If it was a decent city in the first place and they had a Mayor(s) and city council that gave a crap about their city it would not be @ the point of disrepair it is now and they would not need an Angels night. That is what I am getting at. So call me childish all you want but get your facts straight before you start name calling and JUST assuming how old I am.:mad:

Last edited:
?

Some people react upon emotion without the benefit of intellect.

skyguy

Consumer Reports once critisized the Miata for having a "jiggley sports car like ride". I've never bothered to read their auto evaluations since.

ekin95 said:
makes no sense all you want, I look at what I like and what I know (first hand) is I do not like American quality or designed cars. (except Vettes, but I can not afford one).

How is it possible that you have an 04 NSX but couldnt afford a Vette?

spookyp said:
How is it possible that you have an 04 NSX but couldnt afford a Vette?

It's his dad's car.

Autophile said:
It's his dad's car.

Thank you....................I glad I did not have to answer that one...........;)

I agree with most of the comments, except for the targa bit, maybe this is the fault of honda in america not showing them how its stored, not the reviewers?

Second hand the car rocks :)

Back