• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Secrets?

Hey, lookathat, mine was also missing the trunk cushions. No wonder I had a rattle that sounded like it was in the rear window. :) Alas, the cushions weren't in the little cubbyholes, but a few wrapped layers of soft duct tape will tide me over 'til I can get new ones.

What a great tip. :)
Can anyone elaborate on this? The original link doesn't work anymore.

If you remove the ashtray, the remote for a Chamberlain single-button garage door opener is a perfect press fit in the space, and allows the lid to be closed.

Interesting, but I assume the ashtray will no longer fit if you do this? I use my ashtray to hold junk (gum wrappers, etc.) so I don't know if I will use this tip, but it's good to know. Thanks!

See: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38493

I just found out the NSX has 2 antennas, the 30" retracting mast and one built into the engine hatch. The upper 1/4 of the defroster lines is actually the second antenna. The OEM radio scans both antennas and picks which one is strongest.

The 30" mast looks ridiculous and I don't really like the look of the "nub" style antennas (Guppy, Shark Attack, S2000). So I disconnected the power connector from the mast and all my radio stations still have good reception!!! No need for the Smartenna or an aftermarket antenna, just disconnect your mast. Of course this is dependent on how strong your signal is in your area.

Last edited:

At the back of corners of your trunk lid are small arms pointing down. (if you haven't lost them) there should be rubber stops/cushions at the ends of these. Problem is they fall off.

If you lost your's just get some 3/8" Radiator overflow hose and cut a 1/4" or so ring off the end and replace the missing cushion. A tiny dab of superglue will keep them from ever falling off.:smile:

as I've often mentioned I'm sure as the older cars change hands the 5 items that get lost in translation are in no particular order...roof plugs(unique to T top),rear trunk bumper grommets, monel key,front license plate frame,and tool kit.

Last edited:
Update: I posted a new thread with pics. Click here.

Thanks for posting this up. Sure enough mine was in that spot but wedged into the little hole. I had to push it through the hole and caught it on the other side in the engine bay.

The Bratwurst Defroster!

nsx_brats-thumb-717x477-125414.jpg

:biggrin:

I've heard a lot of complaints about the poor design of the factory NSX cup holder (more of a cup thrower than holder). I actually think the NSX cup holder is rather ingeniously designed - it folds down into a very small space and is completely hidden when not in use.

One function designed into the cup holder that some may not be aware of is that the hinged compartment cover can be used to secure a regular size or smaller drink (for instance a Starbuck's grande coffee cup). The underside of the compartment cover has a small tab that extends downward that will sort of latch on to the top of the cup (the cup has to have a lid on it obviously) when the compartment cover is dropped down. Also the cup has to be placed in the forward cup holder as a single (no cup allowed in the rear holder) for this to work. The compartment cover also wouldn't work for larger containers like Big Gulps (do they still have those?) and/or bottles, etc., but for a regular cup of coffee or soda it's great.

I've used the factory cup holder with the cover down to secure cups during fairly spirited cornering, acceleration and braking and have not lost one yet.

:smile::smile::smile:

Last edited:
I've used the factory cup holder to secure coffee cups during fairly spirited cornering, acceleration and braking and have not lost a cup yet.

:smile::smile::smile:

This would have saved me from sending Red Bull flying everywhere when I was late to an interview and driving like a madman...

I dunno. For me the ingenious part of the cup holder design has been that I can easily remove it and leave it at home. I'll have to check out this bit I might have missed.

I can't believe nobody's reported on what happens when you adjust both sun visors at once, then push down your helmet onto your head using the fingertips of both hands, then hold open the driver's door and try to lift up the glass with your right hand, and then open the sun visor vanity mirror with both hands.

I can't believe nobody's reported on what happens when you adjust both sun visors at once, then push down your helmet onto your head using the fingertips of both hands, then hold open the driver's door and try to lift up the glass with your right hand, and then open the sun visor vanity mirror with both hands.

...because nobody ever lived to tell the tale....

Oh no, you'll live. But something does happen when you do that. Curious whether anyone else has done it and heard/felt/seen the same results.

I just bought the electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM) and read it cover to cover because I'm really cool and have a lot going on in my life.

Did you know the rear window defroster system has a timer? It will shut off after 30 minutes in a US car and 40 minutes in a Canada car.

I just found out the NSX has 2 antennas, the 30" retracting mast and one built into the engine hatch. The upper 1/4 of the defroster lines is actually the second antenna. The OEM radio scans both antennas and picks which one is strongest.

The 30" mast looks ridiculous and I don't really like the look of the "nub" style antennas (Guppy, Shark Attack, S2000). So I disconnected the power connector from the mast and all my radio stations still have good reception!!! No need for the Smartenna or an aftermarket antenna, just disconnect your mast. Of course this is dependent on how strong your signal is in your area.

Never knew about the second antenna, I had the main one removed 9 years ago & I've never connected the antenna wire to any of my radios thinking it wouldn't work. I don't listen to the radio anyway, but still good to know...

I believe the mast is for AM, the embedded-in-the-window-wires are for FM.

Interesting. I've only owned the car for 21 years and still learning about it!

It off-gasses some type of pheromone that puts you in a ridiculously good mood even if you just sit in it in the garage for a few minutes. Seriously though, time to bump a great thread.

- - - Updated - - -

as I've often mentioned I'm sure as the older cars change hands the 5 items that get lost in translation are in no particular order...roof plugs(unique to T top),rear trunk bumper grommets, monel key,front license plate frame,and tool kit.
Was the front plate frame standard? I thought it was an option. Guess I better hold onto mine if it came with it, just for the good chi.

Deleted due to misspelling.

tof - I was going to sell the front plate since PA thankfully is not a front-plate state, thinking it's doing me no good sitting in a box with the original timing belt & water pump...but if it came with my NSX, it's staying with my NSX. The first owner was funny like that and I'm keeping it going, ha ha. :) Now let's hear more NSX secrets or do we know all there is to know?

You can still get NA2 battery tie-downs which work fine on earlier models.

The insulation that lines the coupe engine cover is inexpensive and replaceable. However it is also out of stock and no longer available. If the cover itself has flock worn away, it can be touched up with black flocking readily available on line.

A 1991 is actually more fun to drive on the original 15/16" rims and skinny original spec. tires. Grip suffers but fun ensues. This is how exotics used to handle back in the 80s.

When changing all the coolant hoses, the ones going to and from the oil cooler will make a nun curse.

The "push to pass" button is the long skinny one below the driver's right foot.

Yinzer has the best series of "NSX Wanted" ads ever posted on Prime. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/163544-GPW-coupe-wanted-ready-to-buy
Thanks for bringing this thread back, Yinz.

Last edited:
Was the front plate frame standard? I thought it was an option. Guess I better hold onto mine if it came with it, just for the good chi.
All U.S. NSX's came from the factory with the front plate mounting frame shipped inside the car, uninstalled. It was up to the dealer whether or not to install the frame on the car, if they were in a state in which it was required (and the owner didn't object ;) ). It's a nice design, using bolt holes hidden under the nose, no drilling required.

Back