• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Secrets?

Hmmmm......I'm not sure this is how its supposed to be on there or at least I do it a little differently. Hard to describe so maybe I will just take a pic next time. I place the small flange into the indentation on the cap handle but the cap is sitting in the same spot as this pic. I think its more stable this way. Now sure if that's the way Honda meant it to be or not.
I agree. Just imagine turning the gas cap clockwise 90 degrees in the bottom picture and as Dhalsim said (but in reverse), move the indentation in the cap toward the point on the door and then lower the cap onto the flange at the bottom of the door.

Hmmmm......I'm not sure this is how its supposed to be on there or at least I do it a little differently. Hard to describe so maybe I will just take a pic next time. I place the small flange into the indentation on the cap handle but the cap is sitting in the same spot as this pic. I think its more stable this way. Now sure if that's the way Honda meant it to be or not.

I agree. Just imagine turning the gas cap clockwise 90 degrees in the bottom picture and as Dhalsim said (but in reverse), move the indentation in the cap toward the point on the door and then lower the cap onto the flange at the bottom of the door.

Not sure if I'm imagining this correctly, but the only thing that I could get to fit into the indentation on the edge of the gas cap "handle" is the little protrusion on the bottom of the piece that extends from the door. I tried seating it that way, and the cap doesn't seem to sit very well as it doesn't fully set into the seat on the door unless you force it down (which I didn't try to do). Placed as it is in the picture, the cap is quite secure. The only way it comes off is if you lift it the same way you put it on. Pulling on it simply pulls the door along with it.

A picture of how you guys have it might help in case I'm interpreting you wrongly.

The way that I have it in the picture is actually rather natural. It's how I've had it since the first time I put fuel in the tank without even thinking about it. I just took a moment to check if it shows anything in the owner's manual, and indeed it is how it is illustrated there as well (only difference being the rotation of the cap which doesn't really make a difference).

I couldn't find it with a brief search but I know someone said that the "balance" trick doesn't work on some of the cars.

Pulling the balance knob farther (after already out) does turn off the lights on my 1991 and another head unit (also early years) that I have sitting around. I wonder if the people who report it doesn't work are doing it right.

Not sure if I'm imagining this correctly, but the only thing that I could get to fit into the indentation on the edge of the gas cap "handle" is the little protrusion on the bottom of the piece that extends from the door. I tried seating it that way, and the cap doesn't seem to sit very well as it doesn't fully set into the seat on the door unless you force it down (which I didn't try to do). Placed as it is in the picture, the cap is quite secure. The only way it comes off is if you lift it the same way you put it on. Pulling on it simply pulls the door along with it.

A picture of how you guys have it might help in case I'm interpreting you wrongly.

The way that I have it in the picture is actually rather natural. It's how I've had it since the first time I put fuel in the tank without even thinking about it. I just took a moment to check if it shows anything in the owner's manual, and indeed it is how it is illustrated there as well (only difference being the rotation of the cap which doesn't really make a difference).

attachment.php

Turn gas cap so the handle of the gas cap is resting on the gas lid locking strike. When the gas cap handle is resting on the gas lid strike, chances of the gas cap falling to the ground is less.
DSCN9657.jpg

attachment.php

Turn gas cap so the handle of the gas cap is resting on the gas lid locking strike. When the gas cap handle is resting on the gas lid strike, chances of the gas cap falling to the ground is less.
DSCN9657.jpg

NOPE! That is not what I meant. OK....it looks like I will need to go out and take a pic real quick to show everyone what I mean.

Check your owners manual! You will see a detailed description.
Everything in this post is in the manual. No real "secret".

Roger,
That may not be what you meant, but this is what the owner's manual states. Page 116 ( Service Station Procedure section) in my owner's manual shows an illustration of (may be on a different page depending on our model year) picutre below:
DSCN9657.jpg

Last edited:
OK here is the pic. Like I said I don't know if one is better that the other but I always thought this was the right way. Before I took this pic I tried it the other way and it seems just as stable so I think it probably doesn't matter but now you can see what I was trying to say.

Attachments

• IMG_4982.jpg
    IMG_4982.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 788
You guys got this gas cap thing all wrong. I got a 1991, red, lft hand drive, 5-speed with the optional turbo chic magnet. So, this is where I store my gas cap while refueling. Lol.

Attachments

• gascap4.jpg
    gascap4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 838
OK here is the pic. Like I said I don't know if one is better that the other but I always thought this was the right way. Before I took this pic I tried it the other way and it seems just as stable so I think it probably doesn't matter but now you can see what I was trying to say.

That's how I used my cap holder. I believe that's how it's suppose to be or designed for.

yeah I was thinking the same thing. am I the only one on Prime that has actually read every page of the Owners Manual.

get the manual out and sit on the toilet and read read read.....

BryonJ,

was that pic of a real OEM Gas cap holder? I dont think I read that page in the Owners manual.

very Lucky man. very lucky I say.

and very very nice PIC.

Slamstrom's picture is correct per the manual. The extent to which Dhalsim has it is not necessary. That said, you will find that while Slamstrom's is exactly as the manual shows it, it isn't absolutely necessary to have the cap at that exact angle. Try it and you should find that the rotation of the cap doesn't have any material effect on how secure the cap is held since the cap comes off by being lifted off the door. The "handle" on the cap resting on the cradle doesn't provide any added physical support.

Last edited:

Slamstrom's picture is correct per the manual. The extent to which Dhalsim has it is not necessary. That said, you will find that while Slamstrom's is exactly as the manual shows it, it isn't absolutely necessary to have the cap at that exact angle. Try it and you should find that the rotation of the cap doesn't have any material effect on how secure the cap is held since the cap comes off by being lifted off the door. The "handle" on the cap resting on the cradle doesn't provide any added physical support.

So your basically saying what I already said right?

Legion- you still in Alaska? Do you drive a NSX up their?

This site contunues be the world wide NSX authority. Good job Prime!

Here another "trick".

When your front tires start to show wear on the inside, just swap the left tire onto the right rim and visa-versa. I have been getting "double mileage" out of my front tires using this technique!

[This message has been edited by Poloman (edited 25 October 2002).]

Thanks!!! I will do that tomorrow !!!

If they are directional, you can have the tires dismounted and then remounted on the other side.

We should clarify: this will not work with asymmetrical directional tires. Some tires are designed to run "this side in" and "this side out". (Although you probably can get away with it anyway with few ill effects, depends on the tire and the reason for it being asymmetrical be it tread pattern or compound.)

There should be no issues with symmetrical directional tires.

If you remove the ashtray, the remote for a Chamberlain single-button garage door opener is a perfect press fit in the space, and allows the lid to be closed.

Attachments

• NSX_opener.jpg
    NSX_opener.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
Not ingenious, just dumb luck :>

Back