• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Short Block

Hey guys, I'm new to the NSX thing and I have an nsx with 111k miles on it and I wanted to get a short block for it, how much do they cost, and where can I get one from?

I may have found a remanufactured NSX short block site (http://www.remanufactured.com/Acura_Engines.htm), they sell 3.0l nsx short blocks for 3690, is that reasonable for an nsx short block. Is this a reliable source to get an nsx short block from?

I would perfer a remanufactured short block, but a used one with less miles would be cool anyway if you guys know where to get one.

Thanx guys

Why would you need a short block? At 111,000 miles if it has been maintained correctly the engine should be healthy. Remember we're talking about a honda here, exotic supercar or not, honda builds 'em to last. If you have had problems I could understand or if the car has been raced agressively you might be in need of a rebuild. What kind of problems are you experiencing?

Well I have noticed the car being a little sluggish, and I beleive that is is getting some blow by, to a level that is concerning me.

I got the motor compression tested, and it was confirmed, the rings are going bad, I am losing compression. I don't know how the guy treated it before I had it, but he must have really banged on this thing. I had a 99 civic si, so I am accustom to the level of craftsmenship that honda has to offer.

I just beleive that the car was aggressivly raced as you so eloquently said. So is there a fix for this problem, besides getting a new short block?

Thanx

Well, Rob's block is dirt cheap for what you want. But you could also get your block rebored with new rings for possibly less. Check in with Mark Johnson at Dali Racing in San Diego, he should know someone who could help you out. I think labor for engine R/R would be the killer here. Machining would probably be less, maybe by 30-50%. Then again I could just be blowing smoke:D

Red Ghost said:

I got the motor compression tested, and it was confirmed, the rings are going bad,...
Okay, where is the part that confirms it IS the rings? Get a leak-down. Even then you don't know until you tear it down.
Describe your blow-by.

Back