• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Speedometer problem

Hi,
I have a peculiar problem - when I drive my 1992 NSX for more than an hour the speedometer starts acting weird - sometimes it just dies and sometimes show incorrect speeds.
When I stop the car , say for a couple of hours or over night , the next day in the morning it works perfectly fine.

The problem "only" reoccurs when I drive the can again for more than apprx. an hour or hour and a half non-stop.

What could be the probable cause?? Faulty sensor??

Sounds like your vehicle speed sensor has gone bad.

Here's a quick write-up on how to replace it. It has also been suggested to first check for loose connections at the sensor.

More than likely, yes. I have a '95 Legend and the speedo went nuts on it about 2 years ago. It just got worse with time. It would stop working, then be fine, then bounce all over the place, then die again. I had someone fix it. No problem since. I would certainly start there. Good luck.

More than likely, yes. I have a '95 Legend and the speedo went nuts on it about 2 years ago. It just got worse with time. It would stop working, then be fine, then bounce all over the place, then die again. I had someone fix it. No problem since. I would certainly start there. Good luck.

Is it possible to fix it?? As in "repair it''?? Any instructions???

Sounds like your vehicle speed sensor has gone bad.

Here's a quick write-up on how to replace it. It has also been suggested to first check for loose connections at the sensor.

Have checked all connections - the sensor definitely needs to be replaced or reapired ( fixed - if possible )

Be for sending it out for repair or ordering a new one check the fuse and replace it even if it is not bad. Its most likely the speed like every one else stated but it’s worth a try and it could be a cheep fix.

This was happening to my father’s lotus. I know it’s a totally different car, but lotus was going to charge an astronomical amount for a replacement but when talking to a buddy he said to replace the fuse even if it was not bad and you know what it fixed the problem. *Note* the fuse looked perfectly fine and when tested with a test light appeared good. The only thing that I can think of is that it had too much resistance and was making the gage fluctuate erratically. Never knew a fuse could go bad even when appearing good.:smile:

Chuck

Back