NSX spin out... Hearing to many happen ;[

How do you step on the gas when loosing traction. When my tire burst, the TCS light was on and as I step on the gas, the pedal was stuck and the car luckily slowed down. The same happen to my friend recently when his car spun in the rain. He could have counter steer the car and step on the gas but the gas pedal stuck by itself.

Jin1976 said:
How do you step on the gas when loosing traction. When my tire burst, the TCS light was on and as I step on the gas, the pedal was stuck and the car luckily slowed down. The same happen to my friend recently when his car spun in the rain. He could have counter steer the car and step on the gas but the gas pedal stuck by itself.

Don't really understand what you mean by "gas pedal stuck by itself", unless you mean that TCS intervened and didn't allow any gas pedal influence.

It depends on why the car is oversteering.

If the tail is coming around because of too much throttle (overcoming the rear tires' traction available for turning and accelerating), then yes, easing off the throttle is the right course of action. (This is called power oversteer.)

If the car is oversteering because the driver braked too hard while entering a corner or lifted, gently getting on the gas is prudent (as well as steering into the turn) to transfer some weight from the front, which is gripping, to the rear, which is not. (This is called trailing throttle oversteer or trail braking oversteer).

As a rule, if something has made the car get out of control, STOP DOING IT. If you braked too hard while turning in, STOP BRAKING and ease on the throttle. If you got on the gas too hard while exiting a turn STOP ACCELERATING and ease off the throttle.

Hard to explain. Hope this helps.

dquarasr2 said:
As a rule, if something has made the car get out of control, STOP DOING IT. If you braked too hard while turning in, STOP BRAKING and ease on the throttle. If you got on the gas too hard while exiting a turn STOP ACCELERATING and ease off the throttle.

just a quick question. This is something that happened with my Legend, not the NSX. We have a lot of roundabouts here in Belgium, and one day I found myself playing around on one of them. Looking for the highest speed I could keep on turning, something the bikes do a lot here on the ramps of freeways. When I was at good speed and let go of the throttle the car's end brakes loose. no problem, just stay on that throttle. Now comes my question; how do you decelerate then? If you let go of the throttle it starts to slide, if you don't... well, I could still be on that roundabout....

Bart Geerts said:
… well, I could still be on that roundabout....
LOL! Well, maybe the round about is so big, it has a hotel, then you can stay there!:biggrin:

No really. Gert, I know you know this, but I’ll say my opinion anyway...
That's what I like about the NSX so much (I know you speak about a Legend), if you start to slide, either understeer or oversteer or neutral, just gently let off with the gas a little bit, (LITTLE BIT! A very little bit) and the speed scrubs off very nicely and neutrally. You will hear and feel the tyres scrubbing off the speed.
This car is so nice and composed during an impending crash.
As you are approaching the barrier in a slide, you are scrubbing off the speed. Let it happen.
Don’t give up. Keep letting it scrub.
Don’t turn too much or brake or hit the gas or anything drastic. Keep it neutral and scrubbing off that speed. By the time you get to the barrier, you will have scrubbed off enough speed to continue forward and not hit it. Most of the time. Hopefully.
Don't give up until you have actually hit the barrier. In the rain I have held it scrubbing until it just regained grip, a centimetre before the barrier, whew, then AFTER I sh*t myself.
As we say in rallying, never give up until they bring the trailer. Even if the ass of the car is in the ditch, you can still make it out (that’s more appropriate to rallying than with an NSX, however…).
Peter

Back