• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX stolen in Atlanta

OUCH!

No help for you here, just some sympathy..

Have you taken your car in for service at a dealer recently? My ITR was stolen only a few days after being taken to Santa Monica Acura for 14k service.. No proof but very coincendental!

I thought the NSX was less of a target since its parts were less useful then an integra's.. doesnt mean they're not worth stealing though i guess :(

All it takes is a VIN # and someone can cut a key for your car.. Too bad the VIN is displayed for all to see... Is it illegal to cover your serial # with tape to prevent passers-by from reading and cutting a key? Doesnt help against dirty dealers tho :(

-Josh

Joshs said:
OUCH!

No help for you here, just some sympathy..

Have you taken your car in for service at a dealer recently? My ITR was stolen only a few days after being taken to Santa Monica Acura for 14k service.. No proof but very coincendental!
Doesnt help against dirty dealers tho :(

-Josh
Bashing the dealer when your car got stolen is not going to get it back. May be you can post the VIN and we can all look out for it. :frown:

I will keep an eye out in Savannah to see if he has gone south with it.

Did you have an alarm on the car which has start kill? Also, since Lenox Sq is one of the most well renown malls in Atlanta, do they have security cameras that point to the parking lot or better yet, roving security? Mainly near the area where you were parked. I'm glad I got a quick release steering wheel for backup..no way to take my car once that's removed :tongue:

EIFFEL said:
Bashing the dealer when your car got stolen is not going to get it back. May be you can post the VIN and we can all look out for it. :frown:

I in no way implied that SM acura was responsible - just pointed out the coincidence, considering they had the car (alarm fob and all) for a few days right before it was removed from my front yard. The alarm could've been disabled, since no one in the house heard anything- even those sleeping in the front room along the street. It's possible that we just didnt hear it though.

Even if the theft of my ITR was connected to the dealership, all it takes is a single person with access to your vin and the key computer, or the original key and a machine, which doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the operation is dirty. Sorry if you thought I was bashing dealers in general or SM in particular- I didn't intend to, since all I have is a few facts without proof of anything.

Do you think it's really worth posting my VIN on here? It was stolen back in 2002, so I consider it long gone. The cops wouldn't even come out to take the report - I had to get a ride down to the station. And after I told them it was an Integra Type-R they said "Is that 2 doors or 4?" I'll dig up the VIN and post it if you think there'd be much point.

Anyway, it seems like a reasonable precaution to not give your real home address when giving up your vehicle information or key. I don't anymore just to be safe. Is this something that other people do or what?
:cool:

-Josh

1TITENSX said:
I'm glad I got a quick release steering wheel for backup..no way to take my car once that's removed :tongue:

For the average theif it would stop them. But some an organized ring looking for high end cars, that won't even slow them down.
I have personally witnessed a car getting repoed right across from my work place. I sit right next to the window so I saw it all go down.
The truck pulled up to the car, jumped out to verify the VIN#. Hoped back in his truck and pulled the car sideways since it was parallel parked, got angle on the front wheels and pulled it up onto the bed and was gone.
The whole thing happened in about 30 sec, from start to finish.
It might be piece of mind for you but it's NOT a promise your car will be there when you get back.
I hope it doesn't happen to you though so don't get me wrong about this.
All it takes is a VIN # and someone can cut a key for your car..
Not true here. We require any person with a VIN # to show proof of ownership, i.e insurance card, registration, title, etc and a photo ID of them with a matching addy before we will do it. Some people get REALLY mad when that happens but don't even think about the fact that we are doing them a favor by protecting them. We can't take their word for it that they are the true owners. Sorry.
Too bad the VIN is displayed for all to see
Then what if YOU lock your keys in your car? It is a shame that it has come to that though.

Michael,
Very sorry to hear about your car though. :frown:

The mall security usually parks right in front of my car and look at it all day- yes they have cameras but they are revolving and at night you will just see tail lights- it was missing between 7-9 pm. But as you witnessed a murder could take place at the court house with cops everywhere and they cannot find the suspect even with cameras , photos and television coverage. All of you will be more helpful than the police. There aren't that many green NSX's and even fewer automatics. Wouldn't think the parts would be that easy to fence or even have that much demand. But thanks for keeping an eye out.

Joshs said:
OUCH!

All it takes is a VIN # and someone can cut a key for your car.. Too bad the VIN is displayed for all to see... Is it illegal to cover your serial # with tape to prevent passers-by from reading and cutting a key? Doesnt help against dirty dealers tho :(

dealers are required to have photo ID and the regestration of the vehicle before cutting a key. Not all dealers follow that practice but I know ares does.
just put a piece of black papper over the vin if you want to cover it.

nsx-tech said:
dealers are required to have photo ID and the regestration of the vehicle before cutting a key. Not all dealers follow that practice but I know ares does.
just put a piece of black papper over the vin if you want to cover it.

Do you know if it is illegal to cover your VIN?

-Josh

92NSX said:
For the average theif it would stop them. But some an organized ring looking for high end cars, that won't even slow them down.
I have personally witnessed a car getting repoed right across from my work place. I sit right next to the window so I saw it all go down.
The truck pulled up to the car, jumped out to verify the VIN#. Hoped back in his truck and pulled the car sideways since it was parallel parked, got angle on the front wheels and pulled it up onto the bed and was gone.
The whole thing happened in about 30 sec, from start to finish.
It might be piece of mind for you but it's NOT a promise your car will be there when you get back.
I hope it doesn't happen to you though so don't get me wrong about this.

Not true here. We require any person with a VIN # to show proof of ownership, i.e insurance card, registration, title, etc and a photo ID of them with a matching addy before we will do it. Some people get REALLY mad when that happens but don't even think about the fact that we are doing them a favor by protecting them. We can't take their word for it that they are the true owners. Sorry.

Then what if YOU lock your keys in your car? It is a shame that it has come to that though.

Michael,
Very sorry to hear about your car though. :frown:

Yeah, all it takes is a little organization and you're pretty vulnerable - get an inside man with access to the Acura (or whatever) key machine, then all you need is the VIN - I never meant to imply that a dealer would blindly cut a key for anyone who walks in with a VIN #.

The flatbed method you describe is pretty gnarly. Could be exactly what happend to my ITR. I assume with an alarmed car they'd disable it first to avoid the suspicion of flatbedding a whailing vehicle. Reminds me of a story imparted to me by a friend (believe if you want), where his friend's car with Lojack was stolen, stripped in a matter of minutes, and when the authorities showed up to the location of the transponder, they found it left installed on the totally stripped car, which now had F**K LOJACK written all over it. In the right (wrong!) hands, looks like it takes 30 seconds to steal the car, then only another 5 or so to strip it.. I wonder how many people they had working on it at once?!

-Josh

Joshs said:
The flatbed method you describe is pretty gnarly. Could be exactly what happend to my ITR. I assume with an alarmed car they'd disable it first to avoid the suspicion of flatbedding a whailing vehicle.
-Josh

They don't care the slightest bit if it has an alarm or not. It won't slow them down either. Most of the time people don't even give it a second look when they see an alarm going off on a car. Kinda defeats the purpose you would think. More of a piece of mind for the owner than anything I suppose.

92NSX said:
They don't care the slightest bit if it has an alarm or not. It won't slow them down either. Most of the time people don't even give it a second look when they see an alarm going off on a car. Kinda defeats the purpose you would think. More of a piece of mind for the owner than anything I suppose.
alarms are good if it gives you cheaper insurance but other wise know one goes up to you at the car when the alarm is going and says "is this your car or should I call the police?"

its really horrible though.

Hey I'm get my new 94 black on Friday 04-08-05, I know this probably start a debate, what kind of alarm should I get, any recommendation and or a kill switch. I was thinking of maybe some sort of satellite tracking system is it worth it (a dumb question)? Thanks. Sorry about your car, :mad: I’ll get keep an eye out for it in Orlando, how about the Vin # I do a lot of driving for my business and I’m always looking for are favorite car.

Back