• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX tint discussion

I used to have a Nissan 240SX that was tinted pretty dark by the previous owner, when I was in college. I hated it because it was so hard to see at night.

But as I get older, I find that driving in the bright sunlight in my un-tinted NSX is getting to be almost unbearable. My skin starts to get some hives, and I start getting a bit of a migraine from the sun exposure.

So I have been thinking of getting my NSX tinted. That said, I would like 5% (limo) tint on my NSX to keep it comfortable on long drives.

The max allowed is 35%, which to me is pretty useless because I still tend to get migranes from the bright light exposure.

I am thinking of seeing my doctor and trying to see if I can get a medical note to help with getting darker tint. The hives and migraines would be reduced with darker tint.

Anyone here done this, or have any insight into this?

I wish I could keep my NSX tint free and looking great, but I won't be able to do long drives without tint. :frown:

You can get much better heat and UV ray protection from a high quality metal or ceramic tint that is a fairly light shade.

A lower quality dyed hybrid, or 2 ply tint in a dark 5% will only make the car hotter because they really dont reflect heat. They also degrade (bubble/wrinkle/change color) over time.

If I were tinting, I would get the high quality metal or ceramic tint. Although they are more expensive, It is worth the price on your beloved nsx.

Not sure if this is relevant to your question but I did light all the way around. I am very very impressed with the new films these days. You can even buy films that filter 99% of the glare and UV and infrared heat and still be virtually clear. It's only a matter price!

If you're an old fart like me who's been out of the scene for a while.. i advise to pay a visit to your local tint shop. Lots of new films out!

I tint each and every vehicle I own. My NSX was tinted with 5% all the way around also and I loved it. Once its done, it will be redone but maybe in 20% this time.

My Car has tint on it and I dont have anything against it.

actually all of my cars have tinted windows. No issues from me.

I'd get a 30% tint on the side and rear glass, and a very light (95%), almost clear, tint on the front windshield. I've done that on my cars it helps tremendously with the glare and heat, especially on cars like the NSX which have a very steep angled front windshield.

High Quality Tint Films IE Ceramic does not have to be dark in order to be UV and heat reisistant...

I have done it on my past vehicles and I highly recommend it...

On my M3 I had Hupor Optik Tint and they were superb in heat reduction...

It is pricy however I remember tinting the front windshield and and all windows on my m3 cost around $500-$600 for quality film...

Question for you NSX'ers with tint...

Do you tint the rear hatch?

I used to have a Nissan 240SX that was tinted pretty dark by the previous owner, when I was in college. I hated it because it was so hard to see at night.

But as I get older, I find that driving in the bright sunlight in my un-tinted NSX is getting to be almost unbearable. My skin starts to get some hives, and I start getting a bit of a migraine from the sun exposure.

So I have been thinking of getting my NSX tinted. That said, I would like 5% (limo) tint on my NSX to keep it comfortable on long drives.

The max allowed is 35%, which to me is pretty useless because I still tend to get migranes from the bright light exposure.

I am thinking of seeing my doctor and trying to see if I can get a medical note to help with getting darker tint. The hives and migraines would be reduced with darker tint.

Anyone here done this, or have any insight into this?

I wish I could keep my NSX tint free and looking great, but I won't be able to do long drives without tint. :frown:

I have a Dr.s note for the tint. During allergy season my one of my hayfever symptoms is eczema exacerbated by the sun. I have 5% tint.

The CHP did start to grow a brain and said that a Docs note is really BS and if they want they can still give me a ticket. So far no ticket - just a lecture.

Do tint the rear hatch. UV-reducing tint helps the engine cover fuzz last longer, and it makes the car look wicked good.

OP, if you can't get a prescription for tint, could you just tint as dark as the law allows and then wear sunglasses?

If you wear glasses, you could get the windshield in your prescription.:smile:

If you genuinely have to do it for medical reasons I suppose it's OK but IMHO any tint, beyond the factory glass, on an NSX looks nasty :(

Cheers

Mark

I have 35% tint on my hatch and side windows. With my ivory interior, it is pretty light, but I can still see out at night. There was a huge difference in interior temperature with the tint. No tint + beating sun = sauna. For my needs, I think 35% is perfect. If you have a black interior, 35% will feel even darker.

My friend has 20% tint and at night, he has to roll down the windows to back up.

35% tint
IMG_1457.JPG

No tint
IMG_0855.JPG

The best thing I did was tint my windshield. The NSX has a big windshield that other lets in a lot of rays. I put the lightest film on the front but otherwise has 99% UV/IFR protection. You may have issues if you use polarized sunglasses with some of these films. It was a trade off I had to make but since I personally hate polarized sunglasses it isn't an issue for me. It's sometimes a pain for passengers though, which I don't have often anyway. It's the same effect polarized lenses have on your radio's LCD display for example but not nearly as severe on the windshield. Some of you will flame this but there's really no need to bark up this tree...

Notice the rainbow effect. In all fairness, Will used a heavy polarized filter here. Even the stock 02 lights have some rainbow in it. It hardly noticeable in real life.
6179390597_5e3babda4b_b.jpg

Last edited:
So that's why those pics came out like that, I thought the camera lens was polarized and I didn't realize it was your windshield ryu. To the OP, I have 35% all the way and wish I had 20% but it's illegal here.

So that's why those pics came out like that, I thought the camera lens was polarized and I didn't realize it was your windshield ryu. To the OP, I have 35% all the way and wish I had 20% but it's illegal here.
I found some old pics where polarized lenses caused that rainbow look on non-tinted windshields. I don't think it's the tint per say.. the tint just aggravates the situation in my limited experience. You can also see the effect on the 02+ headlight plastic too and that's stock and untinted. I must say.. the effect is virtually unnoticeable in real life if that's your concern. The cooling effect makes the mod a no brainer for me and at night I even forget it's tinted (i.e. no glare from headlights). I think it's all on the quality of the film.

What film do you have? If it will help my interior resist Texas summer and it's clear I may go for it.

I have 35% tint all around including my windshield, looks great and feels cool inside even on hot days. It's illegal in NY but cops rarely notice it in an NSX:biggrin:

Tint in AZ is a must have! I have put it on every car I have owned in the past 20 years.

I have a red NSX. I have 20% on the sides and limo on the back glass hatch. Looks incredible!

This is the exact same combination I have put on all three of my NSX's.

NsXMas, I've been feeling the same way lately....thinking about tint. I must be getting old. Personally, I don't like people looking at me, but I think the car looks better without tint. Has a "clean" classy look...IMHO (subjective of course).

Black on black here in Texas....no tint.

Thinking of an extremely light tint all the way around, like ceramic to reduce heat/uv rays/etc. I'd love to have my windows look like RYU's... pretty cool.

Last edited:
I've been doing research on Ceramic Tint, and have found some interesting info:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1543931

I have been tinting auto and commercial/residential glass for 26 years and I have used ceramic, both Formula One Pinnacle and Llumar Axcess. What is said above is correct. Ceramic for cars is a gimic. If I wasn't so freakin honest, I would upsell it to all my customers but instead, I just use a good film with a lifetime warranty. I have accounts with llumar, Solar guard, Sun guard, johnson, 3M and Sun Tek. I use Sun Tek Carbon series. Best color on the market, best optical clairity, 99% UV protection, guaranteed to never fade or turn purple, 100% signal friendly and no hassle warranty. I only had to use the warranty once in the last 10 years. When I had a warranty claim with all the others it was a huge hassle, sending in the old film, taking pics etc. and I had more than one with all other films. The one time I had a claim with Sun Tek, I had a diagonal impression in my roll, they over nighted me a new roll and gave me a credit for my trouble. Never have I had to issue a warranty on any installed film from them and I average 2 vehicles a day in the slow season, 4-5 when I'm busy.

Seems like ceramic may be an over-priced gimmick...

Ceramic tint costs 3-4 times as much as metallic tint, and I have yet to read any unbiased research that indicates it's any more effective than metallic tint.

Last edited:
The best thing I did was tint my windshield. The NSX has a big windshield that other lets in a lot of rays. I put the lightest film on the front but otherwise has 99% UV/IFR protection. You may have issues if you use polarized sunglasses with some of these films. It was a trade off I had to make but since I personally hate polarized sunglasses it isn't an issue for me. It's sometimes a pain for passengers though, which I don't have often anyway. It's the same effect polarized lenses have on your radio's LCD display for example but not nearly as severe on the windshield. Some of you will flame this but there's really no need to bark up this tree...

Notice the rainbow effect. In all fairness, Will used a heavy polarized filter here. Even the stock 02 lights have some rainbow in it. It hardly noticeable in real life.
6179390597_5e3babda4b_b.jpg

what brand/model/percentage tint did you use for your windshield?
your car is looking great!

On the same note, I am planning to install 3M Crystalline tint. I heard they are the best. I am going for the clear no color look but with maximum UV and heat reflection.

Anyone have personal experience with 3M tint? and did your installer have a hard time tinting the rear hatch? I heard the 3M tint is stiffer and might need 2 layers to get the curve right.

Wow - I never thought about tinting the windshield before. That looks great and will help out the issues cooling my carputer on a hot summer day. I get error messages upon startup now and I have to wait for it to cool down. I was contemplating a passive solar-powered fan system when parked, but tinting the windshield would be a great first step.

I'll echo borabora - What is a great clear tint for the windshield these days? Thanks.

Back