• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX tranny

I have shorties, 4.55 and 285's. Car visits the track several times per year and dyno'ed 383 RWHP. If you factor the 12% drive train losses, that means 435 FWHP is transmitted into the tranny. I have had no problems with my transmission (or clutch wear) after over three years and over 43k supercharged miles with my daily driver NSX.

While I did not answer your question with an exact number (I suspect this is a close Tochigi secret, similar to how much HP the block can really take) at least it is a data point.

It depends a lot on how you drive the car. Max acceleration and quick shifts on a regular basis is one thing, but drag racing with slicks is quite another. David's experience with drag racing a 500+rwhp turbo shows that the shafts are vulnerable (not surprising) but the tranny quite tough (a bit surprising).

Thanks SJS,

It will be used for sprited street driving. Never slicks. I am surprised about the tranny strength as I was figuring the CV joints would be a weak link as well.

I would be happy with around 650- 700 HP, with minimal turbo lag of course.

Edited twice because Valium and typing don't mix!

Justin

Since you're flying, let's make sure I was clear. Tranny is pretty tough but that does not include the CV joints, which I count as part of the shafts. They are somewhat more vulnerable although I think David had more trouble with twisting the shaft than blowing the joints. Wish he were around to tell us more.

Your HP target, even at the crank, would put you in rare if not uncharted territory for a street NSX. Are you planning to use Gerry's custom Darton sleeves?

Hello,
When running 15psi I had only one problem, that is that the tranny started getting harder to shift, I then started running 20psi and the real trouble started, after 1000 miles of hard driving on street tires, I have broken 3 CV joints along with ripping the splines off the mid shaft, I have gone back to 15psi hoping to have a trouble free driver again. Remember the car is Turbo charged and makes over 350 HP and over 350 ft lbs of torque below 5000 rpm, and that is at 15psi, I never dynoed the car at 20psi but will dyno it real soon.

Thanks Gerry. That's more what I expected to hear. While the NSX is well engineered, it is not over-engineered for power it was never meant to deliver, because to do so is to add unnecessary weight. David was looking onto custom axle shafts but I don’t know what he had in mind for the joints or splines.

Thanks for the info guys. I love your website Gerry. Wait, let me wipe the drool of the keyboard....ok...

I currently am runnimg the CTSC with the other tranny mods previously stated. I am afraid if I start twisting axles, breaking CVs and snapping splines, my wifey point standing could drop substantially.

Do you guys thnk I should forget the whole lust for more power thing and just be happy with what I have?

Justin

Back