• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. EVO VIII

If you do a search you'll find a bunch of threads on this topic already....please spare us the repeat :p

Magazine number racing gets you nowhere fast! For people who like to obsess and or brag about how good the car is they may not even have.

who's faster a stock NSX or an EVO VIII

Depends on the 'who' driving,

For rallying definitely the evo!

Off a cliff, maybe even?:)

my good friends and i like to go out and drive every so often we have an evo 8, mr2 with the third gen engine, built b20, fd, sr20, and i have the nsx. oh our group is soon to get a sti. we like to take them out every so often and see what happens. my car is stock. the evo and mr2 each have a few mods like ecu, downpipe, test pipe, and exhaust. i'm sure they are faster but it's always fun to try. also the evo pulls pretty hard. what can i do that isn't too $$$

NSXkid11 said:
my good friends and i like to go out and drive every so often we have an evo 8, mr2 with the third gen engine, built b20, fd, sr20, and i have the nsx. oh our group is soon to get a sti. we like to take them out every so often and see what happens. my car is stock. the evo and mr2 each have a few mods like ecu, downpipe, test pipe, and exhaust. i'm sure they are faster but it's always fun to try. also the evo pulls pretty hard. what can i do that isn't too $$$

The cars you mentioned above are all FI with the exception of the B20. It's easy to get more hp out of a FI car and it won't cost too much since it's got the "equipment" to start with. However, try taking this drive for couple of more years and you will see. These cars might be fast now, however, they won't last like your NSX. Not to mention the looks.

Most of us choose to drive the nsx, not for the ultimate speed, but for other intangible reasons( reliablity, resale value, exclusivity) etc. I am happy with my choice, it may not be the fastest, no big deal.

I raced a modded EVO today and lost. Went from 15mph roll and he jumped about a car length(thanks to 4wd?) then we were somewhat even but I think he was pulling a little. We only went up to like 70mph so who knows what woulda happend at higher speeds but either way, it was quick. I think it'd have been about even with 97+ with 6 speed. The guys said he ran 12.9 @ 106 or something at the drag so it's not so stock but still pretty impressive. My car is 94 with H/E.

ak said:
I raced a modded EVO today and lost. Went from 15mph roll and he jumped about a car length(thanks to 4wd?) then we were somewhat even but I think he was pulling a little. We only went up to like 70mph so who knows what woulda happend at higher speeds but either way, it was quick. I think it'd have been about even with 97+ with 6 speed. The guys said he ran 12.9 @ 106 or something at the drag so it's not so stock but still pretty impressive. My car is 94 with H/E.

A 94 has "1" less HP than the EVO to start with :D . The turbo works great once it's kicking in and at 15MPH, it's at the right RPM in first gear to not have any turbo lag. Since you two only went up to 70mph, you guys are barely in 3rd gear. Most cars can deliver good power and acceleration within the first 3 gears so I am not surprised that a little 4 cylinder Turbo EVO got you beat. Try taking it pass 100 next time. I am sure the story will turn. Not to mention how much he's modded his car, you don't know. A simple ECU, bigger turbo/intercooler can produce a big hp gain. Just enjoy your NSX and the purpose it is built for.

The Evo and Sti are not geared for high speeds. They run very short gears. I believe a quarter mile run in one of these cars requires a shift into fifth. They will beat a stock NA1 NSX in the quarter mile, running around 13.1-13.2 all day, but the NSX will leave the Evo at speeds above 130 or so.

brahtw8 said:
The Evo and Sti are not geared for high speeds. They run very short gears. I believe a quarter mile run in one of these cars requires a shift into fifth. They will beat a stock NA1 NSX in the quarter mile, running around 13.1-13.2 all day, but the NSX will leave the Evo at speeds above 130 or so.

Yeahh....I don't think i'll be racing anyone at 130mph! I regret making the run to begin with....street racing ain't my thing. I was just pissed off that day... I need to control my emotions. Either way, you can't deny that EVO and STI are pretty damn quick and great for the buck.

-ak

ak said:
Yeahh....I don't think i'll be racing anyone at 130mph! I regret making the run to begin with....street racing ain't my thing. I was just pissed off that day... I need to control my emotions. Either way, you can't deny that EVO and STI are pretty damn quick and great for the buck.

-ak

I am not referring to the street.

I do not deny both cars are incredibly quick and an incredible value. I just don't appreciate their raw quality in a daily driver or, apparently, given my choice of an NSX, a high performance automobile. Like virtually anyone here who has an NSX, I could have bought an Evo or Sti.

ak said:
making the run to begin with....street racing ain't my thing. I was just pissed off that day... I need to control my emotions. Either way, you can't deny that EVO and STI are pretty damn quick and great for the buck.

-ak

hmm....that's probably how one of the owners of an NSX at Autowave felt...I was over there this morning to get my car checked out and Ron was telling me there is one being worked on that will give it over 1,000 horsepower. That is going to be one fast f$$%%$% car. I'm sure it will beat that EVO you lost to.

Paul.

NSXkid11 said:
who's faster a stock NSX or an EVO VIII

They are almost exactly the same up to about 100 mph...how do I know?? I have a couple of NSX's and had an Evo VIII that we raced against the NSX to find out. :)

Raced one

I raced a black EVO VIII. Don't usually race but the EVo driver wanted to see how his car compared to an NSX. I had a passenger and he was riding alone. Started around 15MPH also. We were even till I hit 6K rpm when I found my car pulling agead a little. He changed gears when I was around 6500 rpm or so. As soon as he went to second though, the main thing I remembered is pulling on him pretty hard (over one cars length) till about 70mph or so we raced.

92 H/E and Type-R tranny

I have, on VIDEO, my nsx with alot of weight reduction, intake, and exhaust beating BOTH an EVO VIII (intake, turboback exhaust) AND an STi with boost controller, intake, and turboback exhaust. I beat the EVO by about 6 car lenths to 120mph and the STi by 3 car lenghts to 120mph. They left me dirty out of the whole but I started reeling them in by about 45mph and continued past them, never looking back.

I can't host the video (dunno how to even get it on my computer), but anyone from South Florida is more than welcome to check it out :)

I, personally, have seen my buddy's NSX take out a somewhat suped-up STI at the 1/8. The guy is modded, and my friend ran drag tires for a better and beat him.

Brian2by2 said:
I have, on VIDEO, my nsx with alot of weight reduction, intake, and exhaust beating BOTH an EVO VIII (intake, turboback

So, the only mod you had on your car was the intake and exhaust? No supercharger?

Who needs a supercharger to run with an STI? The NSX will beat it as you get going and speed is picking up in both cars, (BUT NOT OUT OF THE HOLE,) be cause of the STI's awd. But as you get up to speed, it's the NSX's game. If you want to beat him out of the hole, too. Wear drag radials. A reqular race, I have seen a stock Supra took out an STI, too, on the freeway.

I DOUBT THAT I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO OWNS BOTH (ZANARDI AND EVO8), BUT THEY ARE BOTH GREAT. STEERING AND SUSPENSION OF THE EVO ARE EVEN BETTER THAN THE NSX IMO. I FIND THE TURBO LAG & LACK OF TORQUE IN THE EVO UNFORTUNATE.

Brakes

nsx07 said:
I DOUBT THAT I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO OWNS BOTH (ZANARDI AND EVO8), BUT THEY ARE BOTH GREAT. STEERING AND SUSPENSION OF THE EVO ARE EVEN BETTER THAN THE NSX IMO. I FIND THE TURBO LAG & LACK OF TORQUE IN THE EVO UNFORTUNATE.
The breakes are better too than the 92 NSX or pre 97

Back