• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs Evo

12.9@110mph NSX-T
everyone watched the movie right?
13.2 Zanardi??

I don't get it, even with differences in temperatures, etc. the zenardi should be faster.

Doesn't fast-autos.net most likely take any times it could get from all the automotive magazine like c&d, MT, MPH etc therefore may not be 100% relative with eachother?
I don't know..

Synthesis said:
dodge viper SRT 10

F430
0-60 mph: 3.5 sec
0-100 mph: 8.1 sec
¼ mile: 11.7 sec @ 120 mph

of course, these numbers are just acceleration.....

For what it is worth, NOBODY has ever replicated these times in any other magazine I have ever seen. Not even close.

right.... but do you have better experience with these cars?

either way, i'm not using them for any other evaluation other than how fast they accelerate.

My 100% stock 2003 Evo EVOIII ran 13.4@102mph with me lifting to shift.... so maybe .2 better if I could have powershifted....

The trap speed of the Evo is not spectacular...100-104 is about all the get stock.....NSX's should trap a bit higher....not much....104-108mph from what I have seen.

from a roll a stock NSX should be able to beat a stock Evo.

for ~$1500 though the Evo gets a Boost controller, ECU Reflash, intake and exhaust and will easily run low 12's at 110+++mph....

The cars are not cross shopped, so who really cares... a used 5.0L mustang can probably beat both with $800 of engine work.....

very true scot.
either way nobody should say that an nsx or an evo is slow
to myself, slow is a high 15 second 1/4 mile at <90mph trap speeds.
evo's, STI's NSX's are all works of art.
we did not buy our cars primarily for speed, BUT the potential of the NSX as an N/A powerhouse for a 3.0L (in my case) is my absolute number 1 reason for buying the NSX. To me it's all about HP/Litre in terms of N/A engines.
just my opinion.
Good thread:)

I'm surprised to hear that someone actually could outrun an Evo in a straight line. Unless you have an NA2 Type S Zero or NA2 Type R (or forced induction), your chances against a lightly tuned EVO 8-are slim, and an EVO-9 MR is virtually nill.

Granted the NSX is great with it's midship launches, but the EVO's AWD starts are like rockets too. If you are comparing straight line acceleration in terms of engine power, just look at the EVO-9's torque. And if you think it's unreliable, you should see what you can do with a laptop alone for $500. And on top of that, many Mitsubishi Dealers even tune customers cars up to 390WHP for about $2k and honor the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty!

Not to say that makes me happy, but I would abstain from a straight line battle with an EVO. I've driven a 330HP EVO-8 and a 340HP EVO-9. The EVO-9's midrange torque was much stronger than the 8's thanks to it's magnesium turbine's and MIVEC valve timing, and let me tell you it was freaking unbelievably strong! Opening up in second gear around a corner and I was struggling to hold on to the steering wheel as my body and head was sucking back to one side from the G force. Wish my NSX could do that!

Tai

It always gets to me when I hear people say “Why did you spend so much money on that car when you could have bought a (fill in the blank), put X amount of money into it and it would be twice as fast as the NSX”. I always tell them, I didn’t buy the NSX for the power; I bought if for many other reasons. If I was going to buy a car for power I would have bought a twin turbo Supra, slightly modify it and be making 500+ RWHP. That usually shuts them up.

These cars pulled me to the "dark side" after owning 4 MR NA cars :redface: As much as I loved the NSX, it was always a little annoying my brothers VR4 or my friends GSX could walk all over me in any aspect of performance for such a small investment compared to mine. If you've never driven a 300+ hp AWD car, I recommend you do so! All the performance the NSX offers in the dry (real world, not track speeds), and it exceeds it in the wet / snow. I went the STI route (bought an 06 a few weeks ago) after mulling another NSX, but after driving my brothers car on a road trip, decided turbo AWD was the way to go.

The two don't compare, as the Acura is exclusive, exotic, and handmade. That is reflected in the cost, and not aspects of a car that hold any value to me anymore. I've gone the practicality / bang for buck route now and couldn't be happier. I think this means I'm getting old! ;)

Synthesis said:
dodge viper SRT 10
0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
0-100 mph: 8.3 sec
¼ mile: 11.8 sec @ 123 mph

F430
0-60 mph: 3.5 sec
0-100 mph: 8.1 sec
¼ mile: 11.7 sec @ 120 mph

NSX
0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
0-100 mph: 11.7 sec
¼ mile: 13.4 sec @ 106 mph

Enzo
0-60 mph: 3.3 sec
0-100 mph: 6.6 sec
¼ mile: 11.1 sec @ 133 mph

Z06
0-60 mph: 3.7 sec
0-100 mph: 7.9 sec
¼ mile: 11.5 sec @ 127 mph

www.fast-autos.net

nsx is fast.... it's just that all new cars are fast too. too bad it can't keep up with its peers (not the enzo and F430).

of course, these numbers are just acceleration.....

So you're saying that their are like a half dozen card sold in America that are faster than an NSX?

I would say the NSX is fast if it's in the top 10.

yeah, half a dozen are faster, but MANY are JUST as fast....

and, Z06 alone, that makes plenty of cars that are faster :wink:

what top 10 are you talking about?

Magazine racing.....wow I'm impressed................nah not really :rolleyes:

magazine racing?
oh....you mean automotive journalism and testing at the highest level with specific rules and regulations.
car and driver

NetViper said:
EVO's are fast 0-60, but 0-100 they are not very impressive. A stock NA1 NSX should be able to hang without much trouble.
Coming back from Robling Road last may, I found myself being tailgated by EVO on I16. Shifted down to 3rd at 75mph. Evo followed and I stepped on it. I slowly pull away. I had 10-12 car length on him and I had a passenger(witness) @120-125mph. So hanging with him was no trouble, Hanging with me was a little tough for the EVO driver. :biggrin:
From my experience, stock STI and EVO are quicker to 60mph, After that It's all over as NSX will have better top end.

As others had stated:

Off the line, the EVO & STI will walk the NSX up to 60mph (Unless one can launch the NSX like in Vance's video).

Off a roll, well, that's a whole other story. NA1s should be able to pull rather easily on stock EVOs and STIs.

Semnos_NSX said:
It always gets to me when I hear people say “Why did you spend so much money on that car when you could have bought a (fill in the blank), put X amount of money into it and it would be twice as fast as the NSX”. I always tell them, I didn’t buy the NSX for the power; I bought if for many other reasons. If I was going to buy a car for power I would have bought a twin turbo Supra, slightly modify it and be making 500+ RWHP. That usually shuts them up.

I totally agree. When it comes to ownership, I'll take the NSX over the cheaper econo-rockets.

However while it is true that a Supra (or other cheap dragsters) can reign supreme in terms of sheer Horsepower Per Dollar, none of them are equal to an Evolution as a performance car.

Drive an Evo and you will be blown away by it's capabilities. I'm not just talking about torque, but how well it turns in, how well it brakes, how well it corners, and especially how fast it launches out of corners. It's easy to bring it close to its limits without being intimidated, and the speed is unbelievable. The Supra and most other inexpensive cars do not posess the driving capabilities of the Evolution. The thing is unreal.

But did I buy it? No. Why? Because it's an econobox on hi-tech steroids, it will be replaced by the much sexier EVO-X, and it has none of the beauty and exclusivity that the NSX holds above most other cars. But in terms of speed, these new 4-door AWD rockets do have the edge against most NSX's.

Tai

Tai said:
I totally agree. When it comes to ownership, I'll take the NSX over the cheaper econo-rockets.

However while it is true that a Supra (or other cheap dragsters) can reign supreme in terms of sheer Horsepower Per Dollar, none of them are equal to an Evolution as a performance car.

Drive an Evo and you will be blown away by it's capabilities. I'm not just talking about torque, but how well it turns in, how well it brakes, how well it corners, and especially how fast it launches out of corners. It's easy to bring it close to its limits without being intimidated, and the speed is unbelievable. The Supra and most other inexpensive cars do not posess the driving capabilities of the Evolution. The thing is unreal.

But did I buy it? No. Why? Because it's an econobox on hi-tech steroids, it will be replaced by the much sexier EVO-X, and it has none of the beauty and exclusivity that the NSX holds above most other cars. But in terms of speed, these new 4-door AWD rockets do have the edge against most NSX's.

Tai

EXACTLY. if i could have both i would.

since when did a supra TT become in expensive? last time i checked they cost as much as a NA1 NSX if not more * shrug *

but i showed this thread to my EVO owning friend and he is very impressed with the community here. he has never seen any other community look so highly upon the EVO's capabilities. he felt very flattered.

s14_tat said:
since when did a supra TT become in expensive? last time i checked they cost as much as a NA1 NSX if not more * shrug *

but i showed this thread to my EVO owning friend and he is very impressed with the community here. he has never seen any other community look so highly upon the EVO's capabilities. he felt very flattered.

The TT Supra is relatively 'inexpensive' to sports cars of comparable power like modern Supercars. From a normal cars perspective, it is still certainly not cheap.

That said the Evolution is a fast car that's fun for most people to drive. It deserves praise when it can keep up with the likes of modern Supercars as well.

Tai

yeah i almost forgot what kind of people post here. nsx owners always appreciates the whole package rather then just straight line power like hte LS1 or SRT4 forums etc.

s14_tat said:
yeah i almost forgot what kind of people post here. nsx owners always appreciates the whole package rather then just straight line power like hte LS1 or SRT4 forums etc.

Yes, these "vs" posts which are mainly about acceleration and are kinda fun to read but I think its a shame to not see more posts about car vs car on a road course. But I guess road course performance weighs heavily on driver skill. And that is what I love about the NSX, it rewards you when you develop your driving skills.

SolidCitizen said:
Yes, these "vs" posts which are mainly about acceleration and are kinda fun to read but I think its a shame to not see more posts about car vs car on a road course. But I guess road course performance weighs heavily on driver skill. And that is what I love about the NSX, it rewards you when you develop your driving skills.

I agree 100%. I used to track my old Type-R, and it was amazing. On some road courses, I could pass cars with 140 MORE horse power, all because I could take a sweeper at a much higher speed. I would love to see some more NSX in-car HPDE, and road racing footage.

Unfortuntially for me, I have bunch of car payments left, so until then, my $2000 Sentra SE-R is the only thing I'm putting on a race track or auto-x course.

Back