• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs Ford Cobra on a Roadcourse

I have a Ford guy at work that insists the the Ford Cobra (the Shelby/AC Cobra, not the Mustang) would wipe the track with a mildly modded NSX (I/H/E along with suspension bits - probably on par with a Type-R). Given equal driver ability, how well (or poorly) would an NSX (Type-R roughly) fare? Has anyone had any track experience with the Cobra?

NSX hands down. I have tracked against and driven a Cobra replica (427). The Cobra was a point and shoot car. Fast down the straights and really squirly in the corners. On the track.... if the NSX had some more power (ie SC or Turbo) it wouldn't even be a contest.

Oh, btw... the Ford GT500 is the exact same way. I did Autobahn CC last fall with the Norword Shelby Club. The GT500 would scream down the straight... stand on the brakes and 1/4 mile later, after some major tail wagging under heavy braking would turn in. 5 seconds later the rest of the car would turn in too. Then back on the power, tail starts wagging, and then rockets down to the next corner... repeat. It was getting lapped by a pair of spec miatas. :)

Last edited:
NSX hands down. I have tracked against and driven a Cobra replica (427). The Cobra was a point and shoot car. Fast down the straights and really squirly in the corners. On the track.... if the NSX had some more power (ie SC or Turbo) it wouldn't even be a contest.

My experience has been exactly the same. Even with modern(ish) Mustang brakes, they have to brake well ahead of the turn, start the turn as it settles, and then wait until they're straight to turn on the afterburners. Quick as all get out once they're straight but it doesn't look like much fun.

I've only tracked with one real Shelby Cobra and maybe 8-10 replicas but they all seem like a handful. Had no problem passing them.

I'll give my coworker the bad news. If anyone else has any more stories/experience, please post. Some ammo is good - more is better!

...I've only tracked with one real Shelby Cobra...

:eek: The last place I would take my real Shelby Cobra is a track. I would be too busy wiping the dust and drool off it every day.

Seriously, a real Shelby Cobra is almost priceless. I don't think I could ever leave the house with it let alone push it on a track.

Anyway, the Ford guy is on crack. A NSX-R would easily beat it it on any track, even a high-speed track like Monza or Indy. A CTSC NSX-R would embarrass it.

I'm a big Cobra fan (always have been) and the owner was telling me how unforgiving the original cars really are. He seemed like an experienced driver and, obviously, Cobra enthusiast. I'm actually very glad he came out b/c those cars rarely get put through their paces. Watching old footage of Gurney, Bondurant, and Miles four wheel drifting those cars out of turns makes you appreciate how hairy edge of the envelope those guys pushed the Cobra.

My pop has a Factory Five Cobra with a 351 windsor bored out to 408ci. Supposed to be a lot more rigid, forgiving, and controllable. He's crashed it twice...on the street. :frown:

You'd have to be pretty unskilled as a driver in an NSX to be beaten around a track by a AC cobra. If your workmate said "down the 1/4 mile", then yeah...

Do you really think Senna would have been slower going around any track in an NSX than in a Cobra? Has your workmate seen the steering wheel of a Cobra? really.... it's not a model of precision.

The car is cool but come on now...

Last edited:
I have absolutely no racing experience, or experience with the cobra or NSX. I think the cobra will be faster because it's lighter.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I've never had my NSX on the track, but in a level 2 HPDE in my old ITR, I witnessed a Cobra Kit car and a C5 Z06 following each other at summit. Seemed like they were 100% equal in every session.

In fact I have video of both passing me like I'm going backwards, lol
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=16&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

I was browsing around youtube from your link, and came across this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5979163646530618831

The McLaren F1, wow, in orange, it's just unbelievable... I wish I could have invested in one :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no racing experience, or experience with the cobra or NSX.

What about my car? I think that was you. I know that was just a Sunday drive for you, but for all others ............ it was wow!

Lance
Thanks Lance! We will definitely have to go out to the track again.

My comment was sarcastic, pointing out the speculation and unjustified comments from other people's posts.

Back