• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs NSX-R master cylinders

Does anyone know what the differences are (if any) between these two M/C's?

The R master cylinder has a higher capacity compared to non-r brake master, thus, is physically bigger. Kaz had mentioned that for those wanting to upgrade to NSX-R ABS, the nsx-r brake master and r brake booster must be used to fully utilize the r abs as intended.

0501620A30201124W00416.jpg

Notice the larger reservoir.

Hello John!

R master is not compatible with stock booster! You will need to upgrade both!

If you want to go with full R setup (master + booster) then you will also notice that:

NSX-R Master 0,15 Kg lighter
NSX_R Booster 0,47 Kg lighter
You will have to modify one of the ends of one brake line (the part that bolts to master) because it is not same size.

Many thanks for the answers.
For some reason, I had not seen them until today?

For those that have it, is there any major benefit to going with the whole NSX-R setup? Based on my reading, it seems like the R booster is a little stronger, mita says the MC is smaller but higher volume, and the ABS has different programming. But unclear how all that translates into the real world.

Seems like mita recommends the normal master / ABS setup for street cars

The programming is also suited towards only track driving and can cause less-than-perfect performance when on city streets.

Last edited:
For those that have it, is there any major benefit to going with the whole NSX-R setup? Based on my reading, it seems like the R booster is a little stronger, mita says the MC is smaller but higher volume, and the ABS has different programming. But unclear how all that translates into the real world.

Seems like mita recommends the normal master / ABS setup for street cars

Unless it is primarily a track car, the NSX-R abs is actually worse on a street driven NSX. They re-programmed the torque curves to delay ABS activation unless there is a large brake input and significant wheel slip. This was done to open the envelope for pro drivers (and elite amateurs) to modulate braking without ABS intrusion. With the R ABS logic, the computer will let the car depart significantly from stable direction before activating. Even Kaz says he did not have the level of skill to utilize the R ABS properly and was slower on the circuit than with the standard ABS. On the street, this means that the ABS may not come on when you really need it! Thus, I always recommend the standard ABS unless you are a pro driver or high-level track rat. Otherwise, you'll be spending a lot of time and money for potentially less capacity.

My two cents.

Back