• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsx vs Nsx

So basically, the headlights, hood, and front windshield look good; the rest is crap? I agree 100%.:smile:

Nothing that they have come up with looks good enough to succeed the original.

lol, well, when you look at HSC, even when it first came out, I look at it and said to myself, it's a good looking car, but more I look at that thing, more I dislike it.

When I saw the 2.0 during the SB commercial, I said to myself, this will be a gorgeous car if they built a convertible like the one in Ironman, and they are. I'm saving my pennies for it.

So basically, the headlights, hood, and front windshield look good; the rest is crap? I agree 100%.:smile:

Nothing that they have come up with looks good enough to succeed the original. It's like they got it perfect on the first try. If anything, I would have gone for a "freshened up" version of the current car, with every single design element referencing the original. Look at the 911... they haven't changed that thing for 50 years. The Corvette has had a pretty logical progression since the 60s...

Some designs just can't be improved upon (only updated, it would seem). The F360 and 575, for example, are the best looking Ferrari's out there. I only wish they hadn't changed the designs so much in succeeding models.

I agree with Vance on most of the overly simple or akwards areas he highlighted. The only redeeming area of the HSC is the front half. The rest of the side view is wacky.

I wish they would lower the front hoodline for the new concept so that it would be sharper like the original. However I have a feeling strict safety regulations and the electric motors may be restricting in that aspect so it is a compromise that is rampant among most modern cars. Still, I believe they can make the bumper sharper to convey a sharper/lower nose. I am also concerned that the production model will grow even larger even tho current dimensions are rather compact. Ferrari's 458 is actually 2 inches taller the NSX concept, but somehow the slimness of the hoodline and rear wheel arches makes you believe the 458 is a lot sharper and sleeker. This is the path Honda sway towards while also extending the rear end to be more balanced and stand out from the rest.

Ever since the ASCC, these concepts have loss the low hoodline that defined the original, but atleast this latest concept has the lowest one sans the HSC. So I guess you can't complain too much as Honda seems to be trying to veer back to the original design.

On a side note. I would have to disagree about the 360 comment. It marked the first revolution to Ferrari design, but the 458 and California are IMO the best looking Ferraris to date. Ferrari seems to be stampeding ahead while Honda stumbles :frown: Maybe if the rumors are true, and Honda re-enters F1 with turbo V6s, it will rekindle the passion for their design and engineering again...

Ugh... I can't stand the 458... It looks like the love child of 2 different desighn philosophies... And I honestly think the California is currently the worst looking F-car by far. To each his own, obviously. My preference generally tends to be for the late 90s look of cars in general... Right around 2004 is when things generally started to go downhill for sports cars, IMHO.

Things did go downhill in the 90s for all sports cars, but Ferrari did not get good with their design or engineering for their consumer sports cars til the 90s passed IMO.

NSX 2.0 as its called is very turtle like, there is little to no sculpting to the overall shape and the front details are the most unresolved and poorly executed part of the car. I agree that the mclaren and 458 both have a sculpted tectonic shape rather than the stereotonic bulbous mass of the NSX concept and Audi R8. At least the R8 is graceful and coherent whereas the Acura concept is still a hurried mess in the front. I really hope they solve that problem soon. If its going to be a copy of an R8 it should cost GTR money not R8 money, IMO.

Things did go downhill in the 90s for all sports cars, but Ferrari did not get good with their design or engineering for their consumer sports cars til the 90s passed IMO.

Ferreri couldn't figure out how to built high out engine for road cars and reliable F1 engines until they hired Osamu Goto from Honda after 1992. Honda philosophy saved Ferrari!

At least the R8 is graceful and coherent whereas the Acura concept is still a hurried mess in the front. I really hope they solve that problem soon. If its going to be a copy of an R8 it should cost GTR money not R8 money, IMO.

weightclass.jpg

Nero, there is nothing graceful about the R8 - the 20 years later wannabe NSX. The R8 has many more aesthetic issues than the NSX concept and the two are nothing alike. The R8 could be confused a very nice Saloon car whereas the new NSX is definitely and unmistakably exotic looking. I agree the front could be better, but it's a heck of a lot better than what Honda or 95% of the other cars that have been showing up with in virtually the last decade.

Ferreri couldn't figure out how to built high out engine for road cars and reliable F1 engines until they hired Osamu Goto from Honda after 1992. Honda philosophy saved Ferrari!

It sounds like he also made F1 happen for Honda too. They need to get him back or someone as passionate as him.

This is why I never like the R8, with NSX 2.0, you can tell why the designed the car that way. Gordon Murray once said, longer the frontal area, more unstable it will be at high speed. The original NSX was not design for top speed but over all package, so I guess you can exempt it, but the length of the nose is about the same as the 328/348 at the time, so a common design.

Attachments

• weightclass.jpg
    weightclass.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 169
You guys like to hold on to one thing. I say it looks like a camaro and that is all you talk about. My point is that the hsc looks better not that it looks like a camaro.

weightclass.jpg

Nero, there is nothing graceful about the R8 - the 20 years later wannabe NSX. The R8 has many more aesthetic issues than the NSX concept and the two are nothing alike. The R8 could be confused a very nice Saloon car whereas the new NSX is definitely and unmistakably exotic looking. I agree the front could be better, but it's a heck of a lot better than what Honda or 95% of the other cars that have been showing up with in virtually the last decade.

It sounds like he also made F1 happen for Honda too. They need to get him back or someone as passionate as him.

By comparison, when I compare the 2.0 to the R8, I see the same silhouette...

As for the McLaren, it's the best looking car since the NSX 1.0/1.5

I agree with this- all I see is similarities between the general shape of the r8 and concept NSX. Yeah the concept is smaller than the r8 but they're both bloated designs. The R8 is much better executed despite its bloated side profile, even though I never liked the side blade. The NSX concept has a vertical character line that starts even looks like the audi side blade but then just disappears and serves no function than to make it looked unfinished. I realize it is not fully ready but they should seriously consider making it more NSX like and less Audi like. I'm not the only one that sees the similarities- that's cuz they're there and prominent upon first impression. I think you've been immersed in the details of it NSPEC so you see more of the differences than most people. The overall impression to me is very bloated and the front and rear look like two different cars. Plus it's a shame that the mclaren has more NSX DNA in it than it's own progeny. This is pointless to go round and round on btw :) I wouldn't even care what Honda did if I could afford to buy and operate the mclaren honestly, but I know the Honda product will be more reasonably priced and I want to buy one, one that I can be in love with like my original.

Maybe we’re all looking at this the wrong way. Why replace the whole car when the main problem is lack of power? Instead of using FI to squeeze more horses out of an engine designed to be NA, how about this:
A completely newly designed engine that utilizes modern technology, makes 500-600hp reliably, and is purpose-designed to drop into the bay of the current NSX. Too bad SOS doesn’t have the resources to rethink the whole power plant instead of rebuilding existing ones.
When it comes to throwing around pipe dreams, I don't think about new cars. I think of keeping the old car but with modern performance.

And what would you do about the 1980s pop ups and the 90s 3000GT style fixed headlights? The hsc was a perfect progression with more masculine, sharper headlights.

I agree they totally destroyed the SL. but the rest of the NSX concept is definitely going for sharper with their high tech look so why not just put something on it that actually says NSX unlike the rest of it which doesn't keep any lineage. Even better that the headlights will define the face of the car and go a long way to legitimize naming the new car an NSX, since they have been marketing it as such. Plus it's obvious they don't have it figured out yet so why not go with something that works. The face of the concept has linear horizontal headlights that look cheap even on the concept, hate to see how they get cheapened for production. Plus the Audi has the same linear style headlights and placement, along with the same 3 large visual openings below them. It's such a blatant copy they even tried "hanging" the headlights visually by making it appear there is no body work below them at the opening. The only car that has done that before is the R8 and it's obvious where they got the idea. I would be ashamed as a designer and company especially considering they did the same thing with the rear. And people say it doesn't look like anything like an R8...

Last edited:
You guys like to hold on to one thing. I say it looks like a camaro and that is all you talk about. My point is that the hsc looks better not that it looks like a camaro.

I don't see a camaro in the new design at all. Sure some similarities in the first gen NSX since the design was copied.

okay enough about the camaro..

you think the new NSX will be in Transformers 4? :biggrin:

i hope so.

Last edited:
I agree they totally destroyed the SL. but the rest of the NSX concept is definitely going for sharper with their high tech look so why not just put something on it that actually says NSX unlike the rest of it which doesn't keep any lineage. Even better that the headlights will define the face of the car and go a long way to legitimize naming the new car an NSX, since they have been marketing it as such. Plus it's obvious they don't have it figured out yet so why not go with something that works. The face of the concept has linear horizontal headlights that look cheap even on the concept, hate to see how they get cheapened for production. Plus the Audi has the same linear style headlights and placement, along with the same 3 large visual openings below them. It's such a blatant copy they even tried "hanging" the headlights visually by making it appear there is no body work below them at the opening. The only car that has done that before is the R8 and it's obvious where they got the idea. I would be ashamed as a designer and company especially considering they did the same thing with the rear. And people say it doesn't look like anything like an R8...

The horizontal headlights are a homage to the original NSX front end. The hidden "80" headlights made at first glance one believe that the turn signals were the headlights. The ASCC also wanted to keep the style of stealth headlights. This has nothing to do with copying the R8. I prefer the smooth and stealth look over bumpy headlights. Many people agree. If anything the R8 copied the NSX in many ways, and now you trying to play logic leap frog by saying the NSX 2.0 is copying the R8, when in fact it is basing it on the original.

The 02 headlights looked looked much more sophisticated and refined than the 3000GT headlights. The GTO headlights are essentially stealth headlights wither two holes in them and bumps that exist for virtually no reason. They are not sculpted like the NSX headlights whereas the wedge hump were a play of the motif of wedges sticking out like the NSX-R wing or canopy. The two headlights have nothing commons besides the universal idea of two lights per unit.

I don't think that's leapfrog logic, nobody in the 80s 90s or ever since would mistake the parking lights for horizontal headlights. I can't even see Honda making that argument for the design intent but I suppose we see different things. Honda is big time copying the R8 IMO and others- what about the hanging headlights from the R8? Didn't see those on any concept from Honda before the R8 made it a success ;)

I don't think that's leapfrog logic, nobody in the 80s 90s or ever since would mistake the parking lights for horizontal headlights. I can't even see Honda making that argument for the design intent but I suppose we see different things. Honda is big time copying the R8 IMO and others- what about the hanging headlights from the R8? Didn't see those on any concept from Honda before the R8 made it a success ;)

Let's take a look here:

1992 Prelude:
92-prelude-front-288.jpg

1998 Accord coupe:
0DBB8CF9-D148-42A9-A692-F054E0C43EC4.jpg

2003 TSX:
car-photo-white-2003-acura-tsx-chrome-volk-racing-se37k-wheels.jpg

2004 TL:
2004-acura-tl-front-view-623x389.jpg

2005 Civic:
06civicMUfrontlip.jpg

So for a very long time now, Honda has been doing horizontal headlights. Then when this comes out in 2012:

2012 NSX Concept:
2015-Acura-NSX-front-end.jpg

To pay homage to this back from late 1980s:

1991 NSX:
7358147720_8ee82c744a_z.jpg

But you think it's copying this???:
32419003-2-440-FRONT.jpg

Nero, you are grasping too far and making suggestions that are ridiculous. If anyone is copying anyone, it would be the R8. They took the Gallardo plaform, decided they wanted to go with aluminum and provide a simpler engine that makes the car more affordable, practical and daily driver friendly(except it compromises styling very much IMO to do so). Sounds like the formula to the NSX to me and many recognized this hence the comparisons. Atleast the NSX did not share a platform or engine/tranny from other cars that Honda made.

The 1998 Accord Coupe headlights most resemble the 2012 NSX headlights with the horizontal orange bar at the bottom and lighting fixtures atop. If you can't see the basic design elements behind that, then I'm not sure I should keep trying to convince you? I'm really not sure why you are so hung on the R8. It's Audi's attempt at an NSX and they introduced nothing revolutionary to the game. There is nothing special about the R8 design. I personally think it looks as exciting as a Civic SI (the same stance too) and it will never be as classic as the NSX or Z32 300ZX for that matter in 20 years.

I agreed with you that HSC front end looks better but the rest of the car is too funky and that is one of the reasons why they axed the concept.

Yeah we are definitely not going to convince each other but that's ok bc we can have differing views. I see your point about the horizontal lights on the other Hondas but I just don't agree they are appropriate for the new car. I think we can agree on that opinion, even the prelude went to better proportioned lights after the squinty ones as it progressed. I agree the rest of the HSC needed to be figured out better, especially the rear of the car but that car was a sculpted shape unlike the new one as you pointed out in your comparison pic. The squinty eyes were on a lot of Hondas and maybe it's bc I've never liked any of the Honda cars they are on so I'm biased. Now that they are putting them and the beak on every Acura I am not alone in thinking they are not working. They may be looking like high tech transformers but those little lights don't fit the proportions of any cars well IMO. The face of the car is critical and they could stand to introduce a little heritage into the car as well. Plus, it still looks like an R8 to me and others. :)

Well, if you don't like it, don't buy it. There are plenty of other cars on the market. Seriously, were you even planning on purchasing one even if it looked like the old NSX?
What matters is how the car appeals to potential buyers.

Seriously, this is a forum where we can discuss things. If I'm a buyer or not isn't really relevant to whether or not I like the way the car looks. It only matters to Honda how the car appeals to potential buyers, but it still matters to me so I can criticize it freely to bring to light issues I see with it. People can listen or not, Honda can listen or not, it doesn't matter much. Also, I don't want it to look like the old NSX, I just want it to look like AN NSX.

Why should it look like the old NSX? The original isn't a particularly beautiful car to start with. Basically a Ferrari rip-off. The 02+ is a Ferrari rip-off with Graves Disease. There are a lot of things I like about my NSX, but styling is not one of them.

Back