• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nsx vs. rx-8

NSX91 said:
What do you guys think would win in a race? A 91 automatic nsx or a 6 speed rx-8? thanks

On which track? At Laguna Seca, at Sebring, at Nurburgring...at...or are you talking about living life a quarter mile at a time? :biggrin:

AndyH said:
I think it's the other way around. The RX8 is very hard to launch fast due to lack of torque. So maybe the guys that you raced can't drive :cool:

Agree.....my brother has an RX8 and couple of my close friends have S2000's, and the RX8 is only slightly slower than the S2000. The RX8 is just harder to launch.

Honestly, who cares?

Drag racing is for tool boxes and not at all the point of the NSX.:biggrin:

All depends what you are looking for. I own an NSX AT, drag racing does nothing for me. I bought the NSX for looks, fun, and reliability back in '99 and to this day the car make me smile. The issue is what you decide is fun, if racing around and talking numbers is your game then more power to you. Me, I am just happy to own an NSX. It matters not to me if the RX-8, 350Z, or F-Car next to me wants to race and kicks my butt. Because I feel the day I start thinking about numbers, is the day I start thinking twice about my NSX, and the day that happens, might be the day the car stops making me smile. For now I like smiling. If I wanted to buy a car purely for drag racing, or racing in general then I wouldn't have bought an AT. :smile:

^^^ it DOES matter! - when you pay $80K dollars for a new sports car you want it to perform like an exotic.

One of the big areas of importance in buying a luxury and high end sports car is the speed factor, and bragging rights for numbers. other than that you are spending money for looks??? right?

i mean the car is beautiful but i can think of a lot better things to do with the extra 40K you spend on the NSX vs another sports car just for beauty. So the money you spend you want to be worth something. for most car enthusiats its a total package, including speed HP and TQ.

95gsrturbo said:
^^^ it DOES matter! - when you pay $80K dollars for a new sports car you want it to perform like an exotic.

One of the big areas of importance in buying a luxury and high end sports car is the speed factor, and bragging rights for numbers. other than that you are spending money for looks??? right?

i mean the car is beautiful but i can think of a lot better things to do with the extra 40K you spend on the NSX vs another sports car just for beauty. So the money you spend you want to be worth something. for most car enthusiats its a total package, including speed HP and TQ.

Actually, I don't care...

and a 91 NSX (what the thread was started on) would probably go for about as much as a decent rx-8 would anyway, so its a moot point about pricing.

my roomate and I just bought new (to us) cars recently about a week or two apart...

I bought my 93 NSX and he bought a 03 350Z for about 4/5ths of what I paid for the NSX

it may have more horsepower
it may have more torque
it may be 2yrs old with 1/4 the milage as my car

but I still beat him senseless in straight lines, curved lines and top speed (all the things you say matter)...

i think thats pretty good that my car that is 10yrs older than his can still put it in its place.

oh, and if we take the cars out on friday or saturday night and cruise through the club-districts where everybody is out walkin around and hangin out, I can get the street clogged up with people looking at my car.

the z-car just goes on unnoticed :wink:

its not just about hp and torque unless you frequent 'www.benchracer.com', its about what you do with what you've got.

and the nsx STILL does better than most anything anywhere NEAR its price-range. the people that spew out hp/torque numbers like it is their job just don't know.

I didn't before I got in one. I always said 'damn, how can they think this is such an awesome car when it doesn't even have 300hp! screw this, i'll buy a corvette instead and wax those losers'.

wrong :rolleyes:

but its ok, it just makes it more fun when the unknowing people pull up next to me at the light with their girl in the car and start braggin about how 'it dosen't even have 300hp and can't touch their ________' only to end up thinking to themself just how good the tail lights of my car look while trying to come up with a reason why they just lost to a 13 yr old honda with less than 300hp.

95gsrturbo said:

That is your opinion. Everyone is different, if everyone was the same then we probably won't have these type of discussions. I honestly find some of these statements pretty unwarranted. If you have $90K to burn on a sports car and the guy decides on an NSX, so what? I have Vette guys coming up to me bashing me on my purchase on a new '05, but seriously, if I wanted a Vette you don't think I can get one? I had $90K, I test drove a myriad of sports car in that price range, and I purchased an NSX in the end.

I honestly don't really know why this forum really exists. I personally don't need to be convinced what things are good. I can make a decision for myself, be it a new home or a car. If you really are debating between 2 vehicles, and are serious about it, why not go and test drive both and make a decision on your own? Why do you need someone to tell you what they feel is better? If you are looking at a used car, and the seller won't let you drive it, then most likely that is a vehicle you would want to walk away from anyway. Just my 2 cents.

I hope my RX8 friend is not reading my post. IMO the RX8 looks ugly. Would prefer RX7 than the later. Moreover the RX8 was never a supercar.:smile:

ROFL Pooh...I thought the dark side was Scion? :biggrin:

95gsrturbo said:

i definitely didnt pay $80k for mine :biggrin:

i mean i guess for around $5k i could get a Yugo with a Turbo 427ci engine on it....

i remember road and track did a test on the rx8 and found the car to have about 20 less hp then then what it clames to have for that reason alone i would never buy one. i dont like being cheated:wink:

Who cares? I have a NSX with an AT and I love it and I assure you I can easily beat a RX-8. I have a M3 that will beat this and that. I have a highly modified Talon that can beat any of the cars I have. My Talon is worth very little money but I love it. There are cars that are always going to be faster. Why sweat it and enjoy what you have and buy what you like. :smile:

depends on what you are looking for in the car.

my only question is that, why would u want an auto in a sports car. I'm sure some have asked and answered this already. Nothing wrong with the NSX auto, still an awesome car, but i would think that a manual car is a lot more fun than an auto, and isn't this what these kind of cars are for?

again, it depends on what you are looking for as well.

In JDM Market, almost half the NSX sold were automatic. If you read the survey, most of the buyers in Auto NSX in Japan are 40 plus of age. Many of them can afford cars like Ferrari, but they didn't want to deal with stick shift. I"m not sure about USDM, but I'm sure some of them feel the same way. I know my dad love the NSX, if he every buy one, it will be an auto.

I love these conversations...... to each his own!
I bought my NSX for one reason... it was my dream car for as long as I can remember. I had a chance to get a Porche, I didn't and my dad thought I was CRAZY. My buddy in the Air Force bought a 350Z and can't believe I "wasted my money on a 91 car that cost me 23K" (However he does freak out a a bit when my 14 year old car handles better than his 2004 Z !!!)

On the other hand I want to get more power but some of these guys that spend 15K on new engine stuff and everything on their NSX.... I don't get... all that money and my $3k Suzuki TL1000S makes 120HP and I can wheelie the thing at 110 mph past MOST of the cars you are talking about.... .see 2 each his own !!!
Long live performance ANYTHING !!!!

Because I can't drive stick.:frown:
randomharmony said:
depends on what you are looking for in the car.

my only question is that, why would u want an auto in a sports car...

...again, it depends on what you are looking for as well.

um...

i have both a rx8 6 speed and 92 NSX 5 speed.

croch meter is in favor of the NSX. Not sure why i got the rx8 but it is a total disapointment.

Anyone want to buy a RX8? :biggrin:

My S2000 feels way faster then the RX8 and the NSX way faster the the S2k.

I think people are being unfair to the Mazda. I actually took my racing license test in one and thought it was good, considering it's all round abilities (compromises). The engine sounded great and the car was beautifully balanced. In UK write ups, everyone loves the RX8.

I have driven an S2000 and they feel so slow and the steering feel is pathetic. It is about 100 times better looking than the RX8 though!

-Rob

Comment on braggin and draggin

Hey my family seriously wanted dad [me] during 'the mid life' to get an RX8, but I looked thru heaps of my dream cars that were in $range..Espadas, 328GTS, et al and thats where a low Kms 93 AT NSX [in red of course] came up...wife could drive if she wants, every other car I've had for the last 20 yrs has been an AT anyway, ...kids have to be nice to get a ride..
..Hmm but yeah the young turks in their bling mobiles, with their turbos sniffing and sneezin, and 4 inch 'cannons' !! will probably blow me to the weeds in a drag but hey if I put double hair dryers on the NSX I'd blow them to the weeds too,...and probably my AT as well !!!...the kids love the NsX ..serious bragging can be seen...and even the bling mobiles if I decide to go 'kickdown' even seem to have a respectful smile on their dials as i play a bit of their game..but the rules of the game are quite simple ..unless they've spent as much doe as I did then I'm not interested in havin a drag or whatever...if at all...for me its about presence, the drive experience etc etc and about them thinking what the NSX might do...kinda like a puppy waggin its tail wanting to play..but ever watchful and nervous....and anyway there's not many NSXs over here ...so I guess I'll maintain the folklaw [lore sp?] and just keep em guessing
:cool:

Over the weekend I ran my brother's RX8 6-speed.

Here are the results:

From a dig, my NSX wins

From a roll, my NSX wins

Although they were wins, the NSX wasn't pulling bus lengths like my GTO.

Both the NSX and RX8 sure one thing in common; gutless power on the bottom end and top end power.

His mods are K&N intake and custom cat-back.

I'm going to guess that my NSX has around 300HP based on the cars that I have raced and either lost or won.

He has beaten a stock S2k 2.0 liter and a G35 coupe 6-speed on the freeway from a roll. Each car multiple times to confirm no mis-shifts, etc.

From what I have heard is that the computer on the RX8 will learn and adjust/tune for different driving styles. In other words the more you hammer it the computer will tune for more performance and vice versa.

What the RX8 does much better is in the handling arena with it's 50/50 weight dist. and that DSC and TSC. Unlike the TSC on the NSX, the one on the RX8 works with you, instead of fighting you so you don't lose too much momentum.

I have RX8 but never driven AT NSX so can't say who win. RX8 is almost like the NSX where it doesn't have much power down low but it shines in the upper RPM (around 6K+ up to 9K redline).

This statement is so incorrect its not funny.

The nsx develops good torgue and power throughout the rev range, that is the characteristics of a 3 litre V6 Vtec. Flat torque curve across the rev range. That is why when others change gear we creep past for 2k more revs.

The RX8 is no comparison to the NSX, the NSX is the only Japanese Supercar, the RX8 is a mass produced, toned down, mum does the groceries family sports car, hence the 4 doors.

Rx8 = nice car but not an RX7 or NSX or Exotic or Supercar
NSX = Supercar, oldie but a goodie.

End of story.

I pre-ordered an RX-8 and paid $35,000 for a 6MT GT with 100k mile extended warranty. It was a fun car but the concept was deeply flawed due to the fact that it wasn't the same concept as an FD and would thus always seem watered down and compromised. They could have at least made the car a beautiful coupe by dropping the roofline like the G35 coupe if they just had to seat 4 people. The rotary seemed to be too fussy as well (hence the extra warranty). I didn't have problems with engine flooding like others did and I reached 40k miles without major problems but decided to sell it and I only got $14k for it, boy was I disappointed.

I bought my NSX for about the same I paid for the RX-8 and had both for a short overlap. The NSX annihilates the RX-8 at freeway speeds (I had a friend drive it to compare) and feels like it has much more torque from a standstill. The NSX is much more driveable in terms of powertrain but the RX-8 has more neutral handling (although lower limits) IMO. The 8 was lighter and easier to drive with finesse I thought. The RX-8's braking abilities were far superior to the NSX's which I am still disappointed with after years of ownership. I know the original question was about an AT NSX vs an 6MT RX-8 but I've never driven an AT and personally don't understand how that car has any desirability for this purpose. Then again, I don't like sequential manuals either so maybe I'm just old-school like that. I will say that I'd prefer the RX-8 6MT over an AT NSX for performance driving. Lol, such a love/hate relationship, those mazdas.

Oddly enough, I never miss the RX-8 nor think about it but I am completely obsessed with the NSX and have been forever! The ownership experience just offers so much more than the mazda, and when you buy a car you always buy the whole package. I always kick myself in the ass for buying that RX-8! :mad: Aarrrgh! Maybe mazda will finally come out with a worthy FD successor with a reliable engine, now that could be special... but probably never as special as the iconic NSX no matter how hard it tried.

The car is well balanced, better than most people give it credit for. However, it is well known that the car generates less power than advertised. They make 220hp optimistically, producing a mininum of a 50hp deficit against any NSX with no weight or aero advantage.

Back