• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Winning????

eg9

Contributing Member
Geez... I had some time today so I downloaded some NSX's on the track type videos from different sites and all of the NSX vs this an that type videos shows the NSX always getting their but kicked on a track.

The latest video I downloaded was the "Best Motoring Series" of the NSX-R vs. NSX vs. RX7 vs. R34 vs Evo, etc.. The NSX's got destroyed by the RX7 and the R34... The video is created in Japan and with professional drivers with the stock version of each of these cars.

I've yet to see a stock NSX be in 1st place on a track... That's sad to see such a high priced car getting slapped around by cars with less hp and 1/3 the price....

Anyone have encouraging videos out there?

EG-

That video featured a Type S or Type S Zero, not sure which one. Surely it would have done better with a Type R. He wasn't as good as a driver as the RX7 or R34 driver which took tighter turns.

Theres another supercar race from Best Motoring with the Ferrari F50, Porsche GT3, NSXR, Murcielago, and a few other cars. The RX7 driver from the previous race drives the NSXR this time and does pretty well.

I have numerous BM videos of the NSX winning, and losing.

Here are 2 DVD's that is full of NSX victories:

16859336-67cc-016C0200-.jpg

19686042-a4d1-01600200-.jpg

Also, you should check out some of the US releases.

http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com/buy.html

In any case, I find the comments after the race very important. Its not always about who crosses the finish line 1st. Sometimes you will hear the drivers comment that the track they were on was suited for FR cars or that certain weather conditions was more advantageous to turbo cars. You will also hear them talk about how a car wasn't set-up properly for the race.

I have a BM video where the RX7 got last place among the WRX, EVO, NSX, Supra, and Skyline because the RX7 engine blew up in the middle of the race. At the end of the race the drivers stated that this was the 3rd time a RX7 failed to complete a race because of engine problems. The NSX won that race by a huge margin.

I have yet seen an NSX in a BM video perform poorly. If what you are viewing is the japanese version then you are missing alot of facts. There was one video where the NSX was not 1st place, but the drivers said that the NSX was the fastest car in the race. Since the NSX was at the last pole position, and it was a 3 lap race, it didn't win. Had the race gone 1 or 2 more laps, the NSX would have left the competition in the dust. It had the fastest lap time in that race, and the total time wasn't too off from the car that won 1st place.

Also, do a search on NSXprime. There are numerous posts regarding Best Motoring races and results.

Where did you get these two DVDs? I've never seen these copies around. Any info on where to buy, please let me know. Haven't even seen these on eBay before either.

Vytas said:
Where did you get these two DVDs? I've never seen these copies around. Any info on where to buy, please let me know. Haven't even seen these on eBay before either.

They weren't in the link above either. Please fill us in.

Purchased it in a Japanese bookstore in little Tokyo (Downtown Los Angeles).

I would suggest looking up the yellow pages for Japanese bookstores and print out the pictures I posted and have them order it. This is what I did for the 10th anniversary NSX DVD. If you wish to do this and need a higher resolution picture please feel free to email and I'll be happy to email you one.

Thanks,
Ryan

Thanks for the info guys... Would anyone know where someone could download these videos?

Thanks,

EG-

Topdaytrader,

thanks for the link.

Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't find any NSX videos outside of the one where it gets beat hard by the the RX7 and onother one said "Page not found".

Thanks anyhow..

EG-

Well... I just watched anther "Best Motoring" video with the NSX in it and it got 4th place losing to the Evo and R34... Man.. can those cars take it on everytime? What's worst is that the Japaneese comentators bragged about every car except for the NSX AND at the beginning of the video when each driver is interviewed, they skipped the NSX interview.. Geezzz.. they only had one freak'n shot of the NSX interior cam while racing... This type of press is as bad as Esprit ownership (lol)...

This only makes it more urgent that Honda must create better performance in their future NSX or else the NSX will be another extremely rare, low performing expensive sportscar. It seems that all they have now is their exclusivity and reliability but that's not enough for survival. Owning an Esprit too sure makes for two pees in a pod...

EG-

Have you checked this section?:

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/multimedia/multimedia.htm

These BM videos focus on new cars, so it is natural that less attention is on the NSX.

I've been to japan many times and the NSX is still very much loved there. One of the drivers himself owns an NSX Type S.

Not that it really matters, for every NSX loss I can find many more NSX victories and praises. Not just from BM Videos, but from all automotive media, especially those from the UK and Japan.

I see that you have posted here as well:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20253

If this is considered bad press then I don't know what can be good:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6796

or this:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=66363

But seriously, why does it matter? Is it really that important to you? Do you really need good press to justify your NSX purchase?

Thanks for the info RyRy210. Trust me... I'm not degrading the car. I have a "realist" type of personality and like to point out the truth either good or bad. If no one challenged a car's existence, performance, design, etc.. then the car would seize to evolve. I've been a Lotus Esprit owner for over 2 years and have owned two Esprits. I know what it feels like to be disappointed with the manufacturers and the marquee one loves. If no one continued to challenge Lotus Corp in the early 90's then they never would have put the V8 in the Esprit. Now Lotus is greatly challenged because customers are DEMANDING reliability and they are working intensely on reliability to be one of their main features in their upcoming cars (Elise US Spec/ 2006 Esprit (M260))

I am VERY impressed with everything my NSX offers. I researched several cars prior to purchasing it. There were 10 cars I wanted but in the end the NSX was my best choice.

Now that I own one, I want to know even more about it (GOOD OR BAD). I want to know more of how it compares to other cars and what the company is thinking for the future. All of these things matter and affect future purchases, resale, etc..

I still remember watching the Top Gear "Clarkson" The Top 100 Cars of All Time video. The V8 Esprit was in 75th place and was beat by a station wagon, a van and many other cars that would make one laugh. These videos make me want to learn why and how the car can do better. I've written many letters to both Lotus USA in Atlanta and Lotus/Proton in Hethel in the UK. I've spoken to top engineers and have even taken a company survey on how the cars can be improved. As much as I love the car (and will always love it), I wrote A LOT of ways they can improve on the car.

During my NSX ownership, I will probably write some letters and possibly be a part of some type of Honda NSX survey. I will speak the truth and mention how "I" feel the car can be improved upon.

So... do I need the press to justify my NSX purchase.. of course not, but can one use the press to justify improvements that the car needs and then share one's opinions concerning it... well ... YES... That's how I feel a vehicle matures and evolves to something greater...

"Criticism, whether constructive or not, is a key ingredient in the recipe for success" ~Simms

The NSX is a sports car. Its primary function is to be fast on a road course race track.
How qualified are you to judge the capacity of a sports car? Without the experience or know-how of harnessing its potential, how would you know what it is lacking? Make sure you flog your NSX at the race track, then make your judgement. Even better, hire a pro-driver to drive your NSX with you as passenger. Also, using the "press" isn't even close to the proper way to judge the limits or qualifies of a car.

eg9 said:
Thanks for the info RyRy210. Trust me... I'm not degrading the car. I have a "realist" type of personality and like to point out the truth either good or bad. If no one challenged a car's existence, performance, design, etc.. then the car would seize to evolve. I've been a Lotus Esprit owner for over 2 years and have owned two Esprits. I know what it feels like to be disappointed with the manufacturers and the marquee one loves. If no one continued to challenge Lotus Corp in the early 90's then they never would have put the V8 in the Esprit. Now Lotus is greatly challenged because customers are DEMANDING reliability and they are working intensely on reliability to be one of their main features in their upcoming cars (Elise US Spec/ 2006 Esprit (M260))

I am VERY impressed with everything my NSX offers. I researched several cars prior to purchasing it. There were 10 cars I wanted but in the end the NSX was my best choice.

Now that I own one, I want to know even more about it (GOOD OR BAD). I want to know more of how it compares to other cars and what the company is thinking for the future. All of these things matter and affect future purchases, resale, etc..

I still remember watching the Top Gear "Clarkson" The Top 100 Cars of All Time video. The V8 Esprit was in 75th place and was beat by a station wagon, a van and many other cars that would make one laugh. These videos make me want to learn why and how the car can do better. I've written many letters to both Lotus USA in Atlanta and Lotus/Proton in Hethel in the UK. I've spoken to top engineers and have even taken a company survey on how the cars can be improved. As much as I love the car (and will always love it), I wrote A LOT of ways they can improve on the car.

During my NSX ownership, I will probably write some letters and possibly be a part of some type of Honda NSX survey. I will speak the truth and mention how "I" feel the car can be improved upon.

So... do I need the press to justify my NSX purchase.. of course not, but can one use the press to justify improvements that the car needs and then share one's opinions concerning it... well ... YES... That's how I feel a vehicle matures and evolves to something greater...

"Criticism, whether constructive or not, is a key ingredient in the recipe for success" ~Simms

KenjiMR- Did you miss everything I said?? I'm just wondering as you post seems to say that I need to track my NSX for many years, drive with a professional driver to then be able to have opinions on the NSX.. I think that absolute BS!! COME ON! Go to any International Auto Show and listen to how the engineers question the consumer. They don't go to the "Johns" and "Marys" and ask them, "Have you flogged our line of cars at the race track or hired a pro-driver to drive the car?"

They simply ask them... "What did you think of last year's model?.... What were some of the positives/negatives..... What type of improvements would like to see in the future models?...

I've been through this process and have filled out questionnaires on MY OPINIONS of the particular car... Have you? or did you just flog your car at the race track and then hired a pro-driver to drive the car????? Yes... that's sarcasm...

EG

Make sure you check the DVD regions and make sure you can play them on your player before buying them. I know the 10th anniversary one is Region 2. I've had it for awhile, and it's a great DVD.

-Ben

Vytas said:

eg9 said:
KenjiMR- Did you miss everything I said?? I'm just wondering as you post seems to say that I need to track my NSX for many years, drive with a professional driver to then be able to have opinions on the NSX.. I think that absolute BS!! COME ON! Go to any International Auto Show and listen to how the engineers question the consumer. They don't go to the "Johns" and "Marys" and ask them, "Have you flogged our line of cars at the race track or hired a pro-driver to drive the car?"

They simply ask them... "What did you think of last year's model?.... What were some of the positives/negatives..... What type of improvements would like to see in the future models?...

I've been through this process and have filled out questionnaires on MY OPINIONS of the particular car... Have you? or did you just flog your car at the race track and then hired a pro-driver to drive the car????? Yes... that's sarcasm...

EG

This argument is completley specious. When reps ask the public what they want to see at car shows, they are soliciting feedback on comfort, features and switchgear.

Rarely will you see engineers solicting feedback from the general public on the fine design points of hard core sports cars. The simple reason for this is that most of the general public has no clue other than wanting more HP than the next guy and wanting to go quicker in a straight line.

I freely admit to falling into that ignorant consumer category and wanting more straight line ability despite not really needing it, but I would certainly never presume to be qualified to dictate to the engineers what they must do from a design standpoint.

It's certainly true that everyone is entitled to have and express an opinion, but it's also true that most people tend to assign far too much importance to that opinion they've formulated for themselves. Just because you can have an opinion doesn't mean it is going to be a useful or qualified one.

Think about it this way... If you *haven't* tracked your car, then how can you possibly feel qualified in making statements about where the car is deficient on the track?

This seems like just another in the "NSX needs more power" series of gripes. We all tend to agree, and it probably isn't happening, and the car is probably canceled anyhow, so let's just move on...

spookyp-

Many buyers of sports cars drive their car on normal roads and don't track their car... Engineers take this under consideration as they look at creating the sports car. Lotus Esprit has changed dramatically in the past 10 years. My first Esprit was a much more track ready car. The suspension was extremely stiff, the ECU was calibrated more for track use than for street use. It idled rough and was very difficult to drive during normal traffic due to the 1st gear calibration. My 2000 Esprit has gone through many changes. The most apparent changes have been a more street usable suspension, normal ECU for street use, much better idling for when your in traffic and many more creature comforts for daily driving. In fact, the Lotus Engineer who I spoke with for awhile (Tony Shute) asked me many questions regarding road use and derivability. His 7 page questionnaire he gave out to Lotus owners dealt with more questions regarding handling, torque, future of the company, why did we buy a Lotus, newer models, what's more important in a sports car, etc... He mentioned that today's sports car has to deal with the everyday street use and the occasional track day.

Look... I've been on the track before with several cars and I have many more sessions to really test the performance of the Lotus Esprit.. It is a difficult car to drive and even more difficult to drive at its potential. The NSX is MUCH easier to drive and one can reach its limits much more effortlessly than in an Esprit.

Spooky.. You said it right... You have your opinion and I have mine. I'll continue to speak with engineers of cars as I see fit, write letters to the companies and take part in questionnaires. I use my sports cars on the street and when I have the time, I'll experience some track time.

BTW- The creator of the NSX was in town and from what I gathered Mr. Shigeru Uehara asked the following:

"They asked me my opinion of the Viper, Aston Martin, Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Murcielago, Ferrari Modena, Porsche 911....
They asked me my thoughts on a V8 in the NSX. They also asked me if it was important to have a mid engine layout versus a front mounted engine layout. I asked if they planned on introducing a new car soon...... Frankly, I was very honored that they took the time to ask my input. As I understand it they visited with one other NSX owner and also a former NSX owner"

Happy Motoring!

Now.... lets move on guys...

BTW

eg9, maybe you should buy a Caddy Escalade with some bling bling rims. Those are pretty comfortable and streetable you know? I'm sure they idle pretty well too.

I still don't think you got spookyp's point.

Like I said... Lets move on before this gets ugly...

EG

Back