• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX won't start

ZahnTech diagnosed my issue as being due to a dead battery. Replaced it with a new one and have had no further problems to date. Car starts immediately on first attempt and its actually a pleasure to start the car now with people watching since I know it won't crank a several times before catching.

So guys, I have bought a new Battery clamp for the both the negative and positive side (because the old ones don't fit snug, the optima battery tabs are smaller) and the car still have the same issues. Again, turn the key, the car cranks once at most twice and then nothing. Keep on cranking the car will crank, but won't crank long enough for the car to fire up.

So, should I then go ahead and replace the main relay and ignition switch? Or anything else? To me, it seems like there is not enough battery going to the starter. Don't think the starter is dying since it does crank and if i am persistent enough, eventually the car will fire. What else with the electricals should i check/replace before replacing everything =(

Can you post a short vid of what it does when you try to start? Just the gauge asembly on screen would be fine.

Have you checked the battery ground to the body and the engine ground wires?

Like i said before you probably need the main relay anyway so you should change it out and keep the old one in the glovebox in case you ever need it in the future.

Mike

Last edited:
You should also try a different battery. If a cell in the battery is going bad it can appear good until loaded with the high amperage of the starter. Just take the battery out of another vehicle, it doesn't have to fit, and hook it temporarily to see if there is a change. Watch post direction on the other battery.

Mike

Thanks for the input!

I will change to main relay regardless. I will also try swapping the battery. If that is the cause I'll be relieve but also disappointed, I just purchased the battery a year ago and always had a battery tender on it :frown:

If that doesn't fix anything i'll post a video! Thanks!

Have you checked the battery ground to the body and the engine ground wires?
Mike

noob question,
I am pretty sure i can locate the ground from the battery to the body by simply tracing the lines, but can you give me some tips as to where to find the engine ground wires?!? Thanks!!

Here you go.

Mike

MainGrounds-1.png

I still haven't got around to checking all the grounding yet, but as some of you have suggested, I am about to place an order for the main relay and looking for the ignition switch. For those who know and or who have done this before, is the ignition switch part number #11 here : http://cdn.revolutionparts.com/index.php?m=Acura&v=201211&i=SL03B1100CAH.gif&t=1353442788&r=17a22667327dfb42e366092129edfa68f96bcfc7&f=1.7&tn=n Or do I have to change the whole thing which is part #2. Hopefully it is only the prior because I wouldn't want to spend $300+ on a part without knowing whether it is the cause of the car having difficulty starting. Thanks guys!!

Here you go.

Mike

MainGrounds-1.png

Hi Mike,
Thanks for all this information. I have been planning on installing a double din navigation in my car, so yesterday I removed the center console as indicated below:

http://nsxe-repair.com/CCUremoval.html

Now that I removed the center console and disconnected the Cigarette lighter and Aspirator fan connectors. I tried starting the car, it will crank, the engine will also start for half a second and then shuts completely. I connected the Cigarette lighter and Aspirator fan connectors again to see if this would fix the problem but keep having the same problem. Did I disconnect a battery ground connection somewhere? I mean, the car was running just perfect until I removed the center console. Please help at your own convenience. It is greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

From previous posts that i have read, if the engine starts then dies immediately afterwards it is the ignition switch problem. Maybe its time to replace or clean it? Please refer to my post above for the part. I am not sure if thats the one, i want to know too!

Thanks Kaede,
After doing a few hours of research last night I ended up ordering the main relay box, it's under a hundred bucks and a place to start troubleshooting. I will check the ignition switch today. Let us know how you solve your problem too. Thanks.
Have a safe Thanksgiving.

From previous posts that i have read, if the engine starts then dies immediately afterwards it is the ignition switch problem. Maybe its time to replace or clean it? Please refer to my post above for the part. I am not sure if thats the one, i want to know too!

So, I cleaned the ignition switch which by the way looked clean from outside but dirty from the inside. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem. I'm getting the main relay box Wed. I will keep you posted. Thanks

I ended up replacing the ignition switch today and the car started just fine. Thanks for the support.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354679843.031584.jpg
These holidays started to stink not being able to drive my dream car. Now let's hope it's sunny tomorrow.
Fernando

Back