• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXfiles updated

After much bugging by several of his readers including me, Doug Hayashi finally updated www.nsxfiles.com with a couple of new stories. These are the first updates in almost a year. He still has the NSX and I keep bugging him to come back here and say hi, but he ignores that part of my bugging :).

There are a lot of current NSX owners I've spoken with that don't know who he is unfortunately. He was one of the first on here to take the NSX and do serious wheel to wheel racing with it, all the while publishing his exploits first in story form and then on VHS (!!) as well. Way ahead of his time, no DVD burners in those days, no youtube. He's not racing the NSX anymore, it got too expensive, but he's doing karts these days and for an old guy, he's doing pretty well hanging with the young-uns.

And the rivalry with Wayne Mello is still in the stories as well :). If you're a fan, pop back in. If you don't know who he is, do yourself a favor and go read some of his stories. There's LOTS of NSX content, Ferrari content, race content, and random funny stuff. You won't come back up for air for a week.

www.nsxfiles.com

I oft wonder what that guy is doing and marvel that he was "blogging" before blogging was cool. Reading his exploits was one of the reasons why I bought an NSX in the first place. IIRC, he's still active on Corner-Carvers.

Thanks for bugging the guy and making him post up more stories. :)

Hayashi is old school...met that guy at a couple meets years (a decade) back. I didn't keep up but seems he was abducted by the S2K and Karting bug.

Glad to see he is still kicking around. I saw his NSX sitting at Autowave, but it's been a while since I have been there as well. :smile:

I "met" Doug once when I passed him while he was towing the Flamemobile in his old open trailer. I bought all three of his videos! That was a long time ago.

I bought the first video. Reading his stories was what got me to join the BMWCCA and start running in local HPDE.

I think it's safe to say he got many of us hooked on the go-fast crack-pipe. In fact, I think he may even have coined that term (at least around prime). And Ponyboy, you're right. Doug was blogging before the term blog had even been invented. Posting pictures before flickr, videos before youtube. Spending zillions on tech gadgets you can buy today for $50, all in the name of NSX, racing and to share his experiences. I never answered the thread of who on prime inspired you the most, but he would certainly be at the top of my list.

Hard to believe it was really that long ago he was hanging around here. Goddamn I'm getting old!

Yup Doug is an awesome guy, met him back in the days at buttonwillow in my first track day and took me out in his S2000. Very approachable and great all around guy. I use to read all the nsxfiles religiously and they were very entertaining. Doug also was one of the reasons that I bought a nsx. He definately should be in the Hall of Fame of NSXPRIME!! thanks Doug....

I used to follow Doug's stories regularly, but lost interest when he switched to primarily kart racing. I miss the old tales of scrambling to get the Flamemobile ready to go during race week. Those stories had so much depth, and humor.

I don't begrudge Doug and Wayne entering an even more competetive arena in Karts. I'm glad they are still racing, and Doug is back to writing.

Phil

I'm sure Doug would rather have still been racing the flame mobile, but as I recall, the issue was $$$. It was far cheaper to race karts, Microsoft stock has been stagnant for over a decade and phones aren't selling like they used to :). Hopefully Wayne is all over VoIP and SIP endpoints these days :).

I miss the old tales of scrambling to get the Flamemobile ready to go during race week. Those stories had so much depth, and humor.

Me too. Tales (and video) of preping for the Virginia City Hill Climb, the LA Street Race, and Paul Mumford still get me excited. DH wrote with a candor and enthusiasm that seemed to bring the reader into the story and make them part of it.

We went to a Viper Days event at Hallett a few weeks ago and I was telling a few of my buddies that a guy a few years ago did a 1:18 in Viper ACR w/o any aero, demolished the field, and left everyone slack-jawed. They could read about it in NSXFiles and when they got back, a few of them did.

BTW, the quickest Vipers at the event a few weeks ago were doing 1:21s. Mumford was that good.

Doug gave me my very first ride ever in any NSX at Buttonwillow Raceway. It was my very first track event, and it was before my first time on track. Back then, his car was not too modified--stock seats with harness, Tokiko (I think) shocks, stickers, stock wheels. He was super nice and gave me a thrilling ride for a session. In subsequent years, he has always been a great guy to talk to whenever I saw him.

Pulp Racing Update - Doug H. took 1st Place at the Lancaster Grand Prix this past weekend in the Spec. Honda Heavy Class - 125cc Shifter Kart at 405 lbs.

Here is a video:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/15798697" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/15798697">Lancaster Grand Prix October 8-10, 2010 Part 2</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2446489">Doug Hayashi</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Back