• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO trip planning: Midwest attendees

Have started/listened to several chats at gatherings (brunches, track events, etc) on the coming NSXPO at Watkins Glen, and wanted to open up this thread to discuss a number of trip related plans:

a) caravan to NSXPO

b) shipping / trailering of cars

c) shipping of wheels/tires/supplies

The track website suggests a drive from downtown Chicago of approx 680 miles (approx 570 of those on I-90 E) over about 12.5 hours.

I would love to get in on this... I want to go but it's my very first NSXPO and I haven't even done a local track event (hope to before NSXPO).

So I'll need all the advice and support I can get.

squid2004 said:
I would love to get in on this... I want to go but it's my very first NSXPO and I haven't even done a local track event (hope to before NSXPO).

So I'll need all the advice and support I can get.
You don't need track experience to participate in the track event at NSXPO. Every year, about a third of the drivers have never been on a racetrack before. Beginners are placed in their own run group, so they are not on the track at the same time as experienced track drivers. Instructors are provided.

The Glen is about a ten hour drive with quick stops. With a large group, if the stops take longer and/or if you plan a longer meal stop, it could take twelve. There's also the one hour time change. It's reasonable to do it in one day; you would arrive at a reasonable hour in the evening, although not necessarily in time for the reception planned for Thursday night.

One possible meeting place might be the place we had Sunday breakfast at the April event at the Tire Rack - The Original Pancake House in South Bend. South Bend is after the routes converge for those coming from Wisconsin and all the various Chicago suburbs, and people can get breakfast while they're hanging out.

squid2004 said:

Ditto what Ken says about first-timers. I never did a track event either nor did I even meet anyone else who had an NSX before I decided to join a caravan leaving the NY area to head up to Wisconsin for NSXPO 2001. You won't be disappointed.

I still regret not going to NSXPO at Road America. Probably will never be that close again. Going to try to go this year (sometimes I hate my job).

I won't be going to NSXPO, but if you guys decide to meet up anywhere near me (like Ken suggested), I'll come out to say hi for sure! :D

I don't know if anyone else from the KC area is going to NSXPO this year but, I would be happy to drag my trailer along with you folks. Please keep me informed.

I was looking at taking the ferry across lake Michigan to Muskegon to avoid the drive through Chicago. Time wise it looks like a wash for me and cost is another issue. Also looking at route from Muskegon going north of lake Erie through Canada would be the most direct. Are there any issues with going through Canada?

Briank said:
Are there any issues with going through Canada?
You risk lengthy delays at the two border crossings each way. And you can't use your radar detector in Canada.

I doubt that you can save any time taking the ferry, if you're not hitting Chicago during rush hour. The difference in driving distances between driving from Muskegon and driving from Chicago is less than 200 miles. What you are adding on, in addition to any border delays, are 150 minutes for the boat ride and 60 minutes minimum time before departure.

Besides...

Riding the ferry to NSXPO 2004: $109
Driving to NSXPO 2004 with 20 other NSXs: Priceless

:D

Last edited:
Are most of you driving or are you trailering your NSX?

I'm working with a friend on a trailer design and if we can get it done in time, I'll trailer mine. It'll also act as a camper/sleeper as well if need be.

nsxpo

i'll be driving mine.:D

Can't wait !!!!!

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
You risk lengthy delays at the two border crossings each way. And you can't use your radar detector in Canada.
:D

Yes you can use your radar dector in Canada, its only illegal if you get busted with it.

The delays are no more than 10 minn.

driving up -- ETA early evening

nsxtasy said:
We're planning on driving out Thursday too. Likely leaving VERY EARLY to get there in time for the evening reception.

As we get closer to the event, I'll be organizing a possible convoy drive up I-90E. I'm sure there will be others that day too :)

- Manuel

Re: driving up -- ETA early evening

nsx1164 said:
We're planning on driving out Thursday too. Likely leaving VERY EARLY to get there in time for the evening reception.

As we get closer to the event, I'll be organizing a possible convoy drive up I-90E. I'm sure there will be others that day too :)

- Manuel

I would love to tag along. PLease let me know

I'm hoping to have my car finished by then... If so I'll be joining the convoy... If not I'll see you there:)

Do we have a trip itinerary made up yet? A map with intermittent time markers so different towns and cities could meet along the same path would be ideal. Any suggested routs are welcome here. Also remember there is a return trip to plan.

I really want to lay down the ground work so that we spend less time fussing and more time having fun! I might even stay with the pack this time so I'm not lost in either a corn field or ghetto! Again! ;)

Back