• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO trip planning: Midwest attendees

Juice said:
Do we have a trip itinerary made up yet? A map with intermittent time markers so different towns and cities could meet along the same path would be ideal. Any suggested routs are welcome here.
The direct route will be the fastest, and probably the one that most folks would prefer:

- Depart from Chicago caravan meeting point (probably along Indiana Toll Road somewhere east of where it crosses I-94, possibly South Bend)

- Indiana Toll Road (I-80/I-90) to Ohio state line

- Ohio Turnpike (I-80/I-90) to the exit for I-90 east (exit number 142)*

- I-90 east through Cleveland* and Erie

- Just past Erie, exit onto I-86 eastbound (exit number 37)

- A few miles later, when you cross the state line into New York, I-86 becomes NY 17

- NY 17 to Corning

*Note - above assumes hitting Cleveland NOT in rush hour. If hitting Cleveland in rush hour, it might be better to drive around the city by continuing on the Ohio Turnpike to exit 151, and taking I-480 east to I-271 north, then meeting back up with I-90 east of town.

I don't know if there will be a separate convoy of folks from Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Columbus. If so, I assume they would be coming across on I-70 to Columbus, then taking I-71 north to I-271 east of Cleveland, where the route would converge with the Chicago caravan for the last couple hundred miles.

Juice said:
remember there is a return trip to plan.
Planning the return trip is easy. Just figure out a time to meet in the parking lot of the HQ hotel for the departure. (Based on past experience, the caravans on the return trip tend to be smaller, because not everyone wants to leave at the same time on the same day.)

For those of you who are driving, how are you getting all your stuff there (luggage, supplies, etc) ? Are you bringing people with you -- if so are they riding with you or caravanning along with a supply truck so to speak?

This will be my first time going and I'm trying to decide if I should drive the NSX or tow it.

My biggest fear is driving the car all that way and if something happens along the way or while in NY and I somehow get stranded or need major repairs of some sort.

squid2004 said:
For those of you who are driving, how are you getting all your stuff there (luggage, supplies, etc) ?
I'm putting all my stuff in my NSX. Including my track tires. My track equipment is limited to stuff like brake pads, oil, etc and fits inside one Rubbermaid bin. And I'll have a smallish overnight bag. Just pack light. Remember, it's NSXPO, and we all have small trunks, so attire is casual and you won't need to bring multiple changes of clothing like sportjackets, etc.

squid2004 said:
Are you bringing people with you -- if so are they riding with you or caravanning along with a supply truck so to speak?
Many folks bring a companion inside the NSX, and again, just pack light. Of course, they don't bring a companion AND track tires. :)

squid2004 said:
My biggest fear is driving the car all that way and if something happens along the way or while in NY and I somehow get stranded or need major repairs of some sort.
There's no more to fear than going on any intercity trip. Less, in fact, if you're part of a caravan.

Think realistically: how many times has your car broken down to the point that it's inoperable? Probably never, even if you've had your car a long time.

As far as breaking down at NSXPO, you will be there along with some of the very best NSX mechanics in the country. I can't think of a place where you have LESS to worry about regarding the car breaking down...

P.S. If you're REALLY pressed for luggage space, contact MarkB. He's in your area and he usually tows his car, and probably has extra space in his tow vehicle.

nsxtasy said:
...If you're REALLY pressed for luggage space, contact MarkB. He's in your area and he usually tows his car, and probably has extra space in his tow vehicle.

Squid,

I'd be happy to provide you with some extra luggage/equipment space. PM me.

MarkB said:
Squid,

I'd be happy to provide you with some extra luggage/equipment space. PM me.

You guys are awesome.

I'm just having first time/trip jitters I suppose and am trying to figure out how I want to get there.

:cool:

If my car is Done in the next few weeks, I am going and would be driving from St. Louis, may just drive to Chicago and visit with friends and leave with the Chicago contingent.

If you car is done, I may just drive down to drool over it. All the way to Nsxpo. :D Looks like I will be taking the long way there.

Thats like 15 cars now. Wow this should be fun.

Last edited:
prova4re said:
If you car is done, I may just drive down to droll over it. All the way to Nsxpo. :D Looks like I will be taking the long way there.

Thats like 15 cars now. Wow this should be fun.

Bry, you won't have to drool, Were NSXPO dogs, you get to drive it. I hope it's as nice as it was last year.

Looks like I probably WON'T be able to go either :(
Just started some new projects, and can't make all the dates.

However, I still DO plan on being there for the HPDE at WGI -- Monday and Tuesday :D

I'll open up a separate thread later to coordinate a convoy out Sunday, if anyone else is doing this. Chuck/Phil ??

Some instructors (including Chuck and Phil, I believe) are going to be driving out to the Glen early, in order to ride or drive or instruct at the Trackmasters event on October 6-7.

Since I will be driving out on October 5, and Manuel won't be driving until October 10, it sounds like we need a point of contact for the main group which will be driving out there on October 7. Volunteers?

I registered just in time and planning to attend. Hope to also drive with the group so I will be 16 or 14.

Tim

I am up in the air about going right now. It does not seem like there is very much actual NSX stuff going on for the first few days. Here is the schedule as I cut and pasted it:

Thursday, October 7 (FIRST DAY...SO I DID NOT EXPECT MUCH HERE.)

Early Bird Evening Registration
Welcome Reception

Friday, October 8
Morning Registration
Poker Rally (OKAY...SOME DRIVING IS HAPPENING...)
Group Lunch
Vineyard Tour (WOOPS!! AFTER LUNCH NO MORE NSX STUFF ALL DAY.)
Group Dinner

Saturday, October 9

Start End Event
Technical Seminars/Vendor Displays (LOOKS LIKE SOME NSX STUFF...)
Tour of Rockwell Museum (Optional/Alternative activity)
Group Lunch
Corning Glass Tour (ZZZZ...BACK TO BORING AND NSX STUFF IS OVER BEFORE LUNCH...AGAIN!!)
Cocktail Reception
Banquet Dinner

Sunday, October 10
Start End Event
Zymol NSX Concours at Corning Glass (Group Photo)
Group Lunch
Tour of 1948 Watkins Glen Grand Prix Course (Individual Photos)
Dinner Cruise on Kueka Lake

DAY HAS ONLY THE CONCOURS AS NSX ACTIVITY...AGAIN, AFTER LUNCH NO NSX ACTIVITY.)

I really do not mean to be harsh, but it just seems that NSXPO is veering off from where it used to be, and is more of a society dinner meet than anything else. I think back to NSXPO '98 where we were doing country drives, the TRC tracks, the Mid-Ohio race track, and all sorts of NSX stuff inbetween, and I just see very little here until the track event on Monday. Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

Since when did you need an excuse to drive somewere? ;)
Fire those Nsx's of yours up and join the fun, we can have a party of our own.
I am buying drinks, that should motivate you. :D

Meeyatch1 said:
I am up in the air about going right now. It does not seem like there is very much actual NSX stuff going on for the first few days.
I really do not mean to be harsh, but it just seems that NSXPO is veering off from where it used to be, and is more of a society dinner meet than anything else. I think back to NSXPO '98 where we were doing country drives, the TRC tracks, the Mid-Ohio race track, and all sorts of NSX stuff inbetween, and I just see very little here until the track event on Monday. Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me?
Probably best discussed in another thread, but the make-up of the event HAS changed, with a more "something for everyone" approach.

The typical "big annual national xx club" event would include one or more of:
- socials, dinners, tours, etc.
- track event (!)
- car show / concours
- group and individual photo op
- car control / gymkhana / auto-x (some of these MAY be timed events)
- spirited scenic country drives
- power tests (dragstrip, dyno, etc)
- vendor product displays
- tech sessions
- alternative tours for families/SOs

I've seen some/all of these tried at prior NSXPOs, and I am inferring that some of these got eliminated over time due to lack of mainstream interest. The items in bold above are typically a core set of activities.

Due to recent "challenges" and potential liability issues, some of the spirited country drives have gotten toned down. Which doesn't eliminate them, these just get done on an ad-hoc basis :D

The "tech sessions" have IMO gotten less interesting over the years, largely due to Honda's falling interest in keeping the car current, etc. Last "exciting" updates were when they did the 3.2L 6-speed in 1997. Similarly for vendor displays, although SoS, Dali, etc HAVE been putting up a decent show, despite the seemingly dwindling market for aftermarket stuff.

That's all I can comment on... the organizers are IMO doing a fine job. Personally I kinda like the fact that there's more "non car related" activity planned, although I would suspect that having a "hard core gearhead" track would also be welcome to many.

There's always opportunity to introduce "other" events, but to do so, we'd have to step up to the plate and sign up for committees, etc. Not having the ability to commit to this, I step off my soapbox, and am ready to enjoy the show :D

I'm with Brian on this one. I for one plan on taking the car "off course" on an occasion or two. Besides Mitch, don't us "kids" plan on getting in trouble after hours while everyone else is in bed? This is a vacation for me. I plan on NSXing it up.

Does anyone have info on the surrounding area and trouble that can be found? :cool:

Juice said:
I'm with Brian on this one. I for one plan on taking the car "off course" on an occasion or two. Besides Mitch, don't us "kids" plan on getting in trouble after hours while everyone else is in bed? This is a vacation for me. I plan on NSXing it up.

Does anyone have info on the surrounding area and trouble that can be found? :cool:

I second that!!! :D

Keep me in mine for all the trouble, :D

OK. So who then is the designated driver? :p We can all pile into my car as it seems to be missing a roof! Maybe someone will be bringing a race trailer that we can pile into 'border-crossing' style. Just as long as we don't go to any strip clubs. I get sick of my girlfriend hogging all of the strippers' attention. :eek:

Meeyatch1 said:
it just seems that NSXPO is veering off from where it used to be
Mitch,

You haven't been to NSXPO since 1998. Just about everyone who has been to NSXPO in all the years since then - everyone from the most tech-savvy gearhead to the spouses who could care less - has had a great time, every year. A lot of people spend time doing things not on the schedule - for example, checking out each others' cars and talking about them with their owners. (For example, I'm looking forward to checking out this setup, and others might be interested in seeing some of the new forced induction options.)

Why not try it and judge for yourself based on actual experience? You might be pleasantly surprised to find that you actually enjoy it! But you won't know, unless you go (and preferably with an open mind)...

Last edited:
Thanks Ken for saving me the urge to let Meeyatch have it. ;) I know of noone who has complained to me or complained to anyone since I have been going(00) that there was'nt enough car stuff.In fact it is often sensory nsx overload.What most lone wolfs don't realize is that this is a social event and we get a fair number of couples.I think xpo this year will be a great time for all tastes(I'm biased of course) :D

Meeyatch1 said:
I am up in the air about going right now. It does not seem like there is very much actual NSX stuff going on for the first few days. Here is the schedule as I cut and pasted it:

Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

I don't really know what you expect in terms of "NSX stuff." Everyone there is an NSX owner and afficianado and events are planned to appeal to a cross-section of attendees. I have been to the last three and this year's event does not seem to be "veering off" what has been done in the past.

"Spirited country drives", if organized by the NSXCA, may lead to liability issues if something happens during them. That is not say that individuals cannot get together and go for a drive but if those plans include speeding, racing, driving recklessly or otherwise becoming a potential hazard on the roads that would be your responsibility rather than the NSXCA. There is plenty of opportunity to "stretch your legs" by doing two days on one of the best road courses anywhere.

My experience is that prior NSXPOs often had difficulty appealing to spouses/significant others who really could care less about the car (yes, they do exist although often in respectful silence to our obsessive/compulsive feelings toward the NSX). Different types of activities are necessary to generate interest among the broad spectrum of members. The whole idea is to provide an opportunity for many members from across the country to get together, socialize, engage in a little track smack talk and generally have an opportunity to meet those we may only know by their Prime aliases.

Just out of curiousity - what types of activities do you think are missing since the last time you went to one 6 years ago?

prova4re said:
Since when did you need an excuse to drive somewere? ;)
Fire those Nsx's of yours up and join the fun, we can have a party of our own.
I am buying drinks, that should motivate you. :D

LOL!! You have a good point, I pretty much do not need an excuse to drive anywhere. Plus, if you are buying drinks....that is motivation for me. :D

nsx1164 said:
Probably best discussed in another thread, but the make-up of the event HAS changed, with a more "something for everyone" approach.

(snip)

Due to recent "challenges" and potential liability issues, some of the spirited country drives have gotten toned down. Which doesn't eliminate them, these just get done on an ad-hoc basis :D

The "tech sessions" have IMO gotten less interesting over the years, largely due to Honda's falling interest in keeping the car current, etc. Last "exciting" updates were when they did the 3.2L 6-speed in 1997. Similarly for vendor displays, although SoS, Dali, etc HAVE been putting up a decent show, despite the seemingly dwindling market for aftermarket stuff.

That's all I can comment on... the organizers are IMO doing a fine job. Personally I kinda like the fact that there's more "non car related" activity planned, although I would suspect that having a "hard core gearhead" track would also be welcome to many.

There's always opportunity to introduce "other" events, but to do so, we'd have to step up to the plate and sign up for committees, etc. Not having the ability to commit to this, I step off my soapbox, and am ready to enjoy the show :D

Manuel, thank you for the explanation. I appreciate your detail and consideration. That makes more sense now that I think about it.

Juice said:

HAHAHAHA!! Yeah...I guess you have a point.....plus with Brian coming along, that is a whole lot of good times right there. :D

Back