• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Obdi ---> obdii ????

Has anyone ever updated a early model coupe to OBDII? Do the Prospeed or AEM computers effectively do this? The NA1 is obviously compatilbe with OBDII, but does anyone know of the costs involved and the issues to watch out for?

What are you trying to achieve by doing this? Are you referring to just making an OBD II computer work on its own or are you trying to get the whole emissions system up to OBD II standards?

Actually, I want something that I can plug a code reader into and find trouble codes, in the even that they arise. I don't particularly care what is coming out of the tailpipe as long as I can register my car legally.

I have not heard of making a na1 engine run on an obd2/na2 ecu/harness.Most folks swap na2 engines/harness into 91-96 cars.I'm sure there are plenty of guys who would know if just running your 3.0 with a total aftermarket ecu will get you the trouble code readability you desire.

Yeah, that's about what I was expecting. I figure an NA1 off of a 95+ runs OBDII, but wasn't sure if the tune was plug and play (I wouldn't think so, being that it comes off of an auto).

not what you are asking but i have a 96 with a 3.2 motor swap but kept my 96 ecu/harness and it works fine.

no just reset the ecu

So even though it displaces more air than its looking for, it just "goes with the flow," huh? Do you know if it performs differently than an with an NA2 tune?

??????? All '95s & '96s are NA1, both 5 spds & automatics. And yes, the automatics run a kinder, gentler redline. Why don't you just contact the engine mgmt computer companies & ask them if they will get you OBD II functionality. I imagine you would need to add some sensors & hardware to the car itself to get there.

Yeah, that's about what I was expecting. I figure an NA1 off of a 95+ runs OBDII, but wasn't sure if the tune was plug and play (I wouldn't think so, being that it comes off of an auto).

Yes, good point. I was more referring to ALL the OBD2 engines that were NA1 without realizing that the 95/96s came in manual, as well... I pretty much discount those two years from what I think of as "true" NSXs, which is why I forgot about them.

I suppose I could just take one off of a 95/96 and stick it on a 91...

95-96 cars have tbw so you need to retrofit that if you are going to put an obd2 na1 engine in a early coupe.

Actually, I want something that I can plug a code reader into and find trouble codes, in the even that they arise. I don't particularly care what is coming out of the tailpipe as long as I can register my car legally.

You do know the OBDI NSXs have self diagnostic built in right? You jumper a connector located in the passenger footwell (2 pin) and you get your diagnostics. It will flash codes through the MIL light on the cluster. Not as fancy as plugging in a scanner but it works for most troubleshooting situations.

Yes, I know how OBD1 works, but I don't like having to deal with it. I like OBD2 for its ease of use.

Not sure I'd want to deal with drive by wire, either, but we'll see.

Back