• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Odyssey 680 battery

In order to drop another 20 or so lbs I was thinking of getting the Odyssey 680 battery. Comparing the OE Nsx battery, the Odyssey 680 has drastically low Reserve capacity and CCA. Has anyone experienced any problems with the Odyssey due to this?
I am in Texas, low temps are not a big problem.
I do not have any power draining sound system etc.
Thanks.

IMO...Great Battery! The weight savings is a big plus!

The only problem I run into is if I let the car sit more than a week, I have to charge it. But, if you drive the car often, then you won't have a problem:)

Thanks ZRO260. Does that mean that if ...

I use the car on weekends only that I may end up charging the battery? :confused: That would be too much hastle. I could for various reasons not be able to drive the car for 7-10 days and then I would have to charge the battery? Perhaps the 925 would be the alternative even though it is 10 lbs heavier than the 680.

Re: Thanks ZRO260. Does that mean that if ...

shiftright2 said:
Perhaps the 925 would be the alternative even though it is 10 lbs heavier than the 680.
Probably not, if you're not planning on using a float charger. SLA batteries need to stay fully charged more so than regular batteries and they hate parasitic losses (like the on board chips and alarm draw).

Bob

I would discourage the Odyssey 680 battery unless you live in a warm climate (above 60 annually) and you dirve the car often (at least a few times a week). I live in Illinois and removed the battery in all but the summer season but only drive my car weekends, at the most, and the battery would not keep a charge. I finally removed it and replaced it with the OEM battery because it would not hold a charge and the hassle of jumping was definitely not worth it to me.

I read in one of the posts that the Odyssey 925

would hold a charge for more than a month even if the car was not used. I use the car every 6 or 7 days and I think the 925 should therefore be fine. It is about 24 lbs and so 11 lbs lighter than the OEM.

I use the 575 and I'm sometimes gone on business for a few weeks at a time. I always lock my car with the alarm on when I leave town and I've never had problems with starting the car when I get home.

I have installed the Odyssey 680 as well and noticed it will drop its charge relatively quickly. I do have a good alarm that I think is the main cause of it drawing the battery. If I let it stand still for a week the car will not start from the battery. If I drive the car once a week it's not a problem. But I would opt for the 925 the next time.

Back