• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oem 02 hood vs carbon fiber hood?

I have an oem 02 hood for my conversion and it's lighter than I expected. I wanted a carbon fiber hood but is it really all that lighter? I was planning on spraying over the cf look any way, should I just keep the oem? Or sell it for the carbon fiber? I do like the look of the 02r vented hood.

If you want the OEM look, stay with the OEM aluminum hood. The fitment of other aftermarket hoods are not bang on. I have one and it's good, but not perfect. If you want the R look, you have no choice but aftermarket. It really depends how deep your pockets are for the extra 5 - 10%. For the money, I heard VIS type R hood is pretty good.

buy a cheapo ducted hood I mean like the 299 duraflex junk, then get a used OEM hood hand both hoods to your body guys and say hack this duraflex up....... put the duraflex duct in the OEM aluminum perfect fitting hood have them paint it and be done

nothing fits like OEM this is the only way to insure it fits and look OEM since it actually is LOL

Stick with OEM. If you want vented, have your oem modified via Aluminum, the proper way to do it. Please don't hack apart an oem hood and have your body guy bondo or fiberglass a duraflex scoop into it. It'll never last.

Oem quality is second to none when it comes to hoods, and all other body panels.

you are correct but if on a budget then having the body shop build one out of alum will be pricey LOL

I agree with you I would use real alum on an OEM hood if it was my car :biggrin:

Nathan (Red Dragon) did an amazing job cutting a custom vent into the OEM hood. It's definitely possible and looks and fits great.

Unless you plan on a radiator duct to properly vent the heat upward, stick with OEM. Any aftermarket hood is a gamble on fitment. I have the VIS and it's "ok". It's strictly for function, not looks.

I noticed a definite improvement in high speed stability with a vented hood.....car felt better planted......talking speeds over 125

OR you can just buy a Procar hood. Words is his parts fit pretty dead on. Just like the factory parts. It'll cost you two arms and two legs. Lol

Procar make some amazing parts and product but i just dont see myself spending that much on his parts. Hehe :tongue:

Plus I'm not a big fan of the carbon look.

Hood pins.

If you decide to sell your OEM hood, then I'd like to buy it from you (I also live in EDH area).

Back