• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Exhaust Question

I've read about a lot of exhaust mods and was wondering...Has anyone (sucessfully) modified their OEM exhaust to make it perform better? Lighter? Sound Better? More aggressive sound perhaps? I did a search on the OEM exhaust and came up short.

Thanks -Robert

Sorry, I guess I should have been a bit more specific in my questioning. I was thinking more on the line of modifying the stock muffler, rather than a replacement.

Thanks again
-Robert

Due to the weight of the OEM exhaust I doubt many owners would spend the time and energy trying to improve it. Better off replacing it all together.

Sorry, I guess I should have been a bit more specific in my questioning. I was thinking more on the line of modifying the stock muffler, rather than a replacement.

Thanks again
-Robert

not common infact uncommon.The only mods to stock i have seen are people replacing the art-deco 91-93 tips.

In some areas modifying an exhaust system (aftermarket or OEM) is actually illegal. I think it is most likely a noise issue. To my understanding, replacing the OEM with an aftermarket version is not considered modification since you are replacing the entire thing, but changing the internals may be an issue in some areas. I would review your local areas vehicle codes before hacking into the exhaust.

Its not worth the time or money to mess with the oem exhaust.

If you want more noise I would suggest high flow cats or test pipes and a airfilter. That would give you more noise from an oem muffler, but I would replace it all together if I were you.

Theres a few decent used aftermarket units in classifieds at the moment. The GTLW is one of the most popular.

Sure, I've been looking at the aftermarket mufflers. It seems that most all of them are a step up from the OEM (weight reduction/sound/performance). I was more curious if anybody had actually modified an OEM by opening it up and doing something with the inards/baffels or whatever. I've seen OEMs out there for sale relatively inexpensive and it seems like somebody would have been curious enough to experiment and "soup it up" somehow.

-Robert

Think about it......you'd have to cut open the "can" then weld it closed after "opening it up". Too many other options imho.

Think about it......you'd have to cut open the "can" then weld it closed after "opening it up". Too many other options imho.
Plus it's a boat anchor. GTLW frees up the flow plus 19 LBS or so = half the weight of OEM. It's win win.

I have wondered that it seems that everything else about the car is so well thought out it begs the question of "Why this exhaust?"

Also, by opening up the exhaust and removing parts it would become lighter too!

Last edited:
I have wondered that it seems that everything else about the car is so well thought out it begs the question of "Why this exhaust?"

Also, by opening up the exhaust and removing parts it would become lighter too!

ur just basically wasting time / $ if you try to modify the stock exhaust... also i think its best to have a stock exhaust thats NOT touched in hand in case of an emergency

After 18 years using the OEM exhaust, I wanted a more aggressive sound to the X. Not really looking at investing big $$ for other name brands, I opted for a flowmaster and magnaflow tips per the threads that been written on this set-up.
I handcarried the set up back from the States saving $ on air freight. Had it installed at my friendly garage and now after almost a year, I am extremely happy with it. The sound is just per sound clips posted, slight drone below 2000 rpm but otherwise it totally refreshed the car with little expense. I junked the OEM. I had no issue with the OEM, just wanted a bit more noise.

I bought a flowmaster and had a good muffler shop cut out the old can and put in the flowmaster on my last 95 nsx and it sounded wicked good, not quite as good as the jgtc parallel exit i have on my 96, but, it kicked butt, and growled!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great thing was the whole thing cost about $125 to do as i remember it. Great bang for the buck!!!

Thanks to all that are weighing in on this. Again, I was thinking that surely someone probably had gone down this road before. I guess if there was success then most likely we would have heard about it although I could not find out anything in previous posts. Just exploring the possibilities!

-Robert

Ironically with your username, one would think the OEM exhaust would be the first thing to hit the dumpster LOL.:biggrin:

True! I was thinking at the time that the car alone warranted the name. After being on the forum a while and reading about all the mods everyone has done, I realize I may be the slowest "fast guy" out there! As it has turned out, with a few exceptions, we drive this car slower than our other cars...It gives everyone a good look as we drive by. ...(Proud owner!)

-Robert

Back