• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM vs SOS Sport Clutch Longevity?

Hi All,

I think I read all the post on replacement clutch options for early NSX's. The OEM and the SOS setup are about the same price so I could go either way. I currently have 62K on my 91 and to my knowledge it has the original clutch. It is not slipping but catches high. Does anyone have an SOS sport clutch installed with some higher mileage that can weigh in?

Thanks!

It's pretty common for NSX clutches to catch high. If that's your only reason to change, I would wait until it starts slipping. No input on the OEM wear vs SOS, but I am curious to the answer as well.

My '94 NSX has 119,000mi on it and I replaced the clutch with an SoS sport clutch. My clutch was toast and my local ACURA dealer did the install.

I only have 2,500mi on the SoS clutch and no problems at all. It also grabs high like OEM. Pedal feel is smooth and light, near OEM feel. So far I am very pleased with the results. I'm awaiting SC install (1 mo.) and will have more to report later.

Hope this helps.

-DREW-

Oh man, wait till mexi ricer chimes in. Lets say he isnt a happy camper with his sos blowing at some rediculous low millage. Dont quote me on that im just "waiting for his little write up" as he puts it lol.

I'm not sure if the SOS clutch has been out long enough to answer that question. But that same question has crossed my mind.

Hi All,

I think I read all the post on replacement clutch options for early NSX's. The OEM and the SOS setup are about the same price so I could go either way. I currently have 62K on my 91 and to my knowledge it has the original clutch. It is not slipping but catches high. Does anyone have an SOS sport clutch installed with some higher mileage that can weigh in?

Thanks!

The SOS one engages and acts just like stock with a lil more holding power for Light turbo / SC applications. If you car is stock (according to your sig it is) and your clutch is not slipping leave it be. If and when you are in need of a new one it's the clutch to get for lightly modified cars. I love mine! Im on 4 years with mine. Be sure to have it installed by someone that knows what they are doing. This very important! There are steps to insure its installed correctly that are specific to the NSX.

Last edited:
Thanks Drifter. How many miles is 4 years, 20K?

p.s. I am the installer, I do all my own work.

Thanks Drifter. How many miles is 4 years, 20K?

p.s. I am the installer, I do all my own work.

25k give or take. I would suggest an adjustment as Chris has recommended. I don't think anything is wrong with your clutch.

As far as the SOS clutch I would recommend it to anyone in need of a new clutch and are lightly modified/stock. It engages super smooth, has no increase in pedal pressure, and seems to hold nicely with no chatter/whine.

The Socal folks has had their fair share of failures with the SOS clutch. I would be weary about installing one myself for the time being.

The Socal folks has had their fair share of failures with the SOS clutch. I would be weary about installing one myself for the time being.

Just realized the clutch in my car is different then there new version. I have their original sport clutch not there new version. What I have is basically an OEM clutch with upgraded springs and pucks.

for the price SOS sells it for I would hope the life is similar if not longer to the oem clutch.

I'm not sure if the SOS clutch has been out long enough to answer that question. But that same question has crossed my mind.

To my knowledge, the SOS Sport Clutch is a re-branded RPS. So, technically speaking, it's been out a long time and is very reliable.

On that note, I'm VERY happy with my SOS Sport Clutch.

My '94 NSX has 119,000mi on it and I replaced the clutch with an SoS sport clutch. My clutch was toast and my local ACURA dealer did the install.

I only have 2,500mi on the SoS clutch and no problems at all. It also grabs high like OEM. Pedal feel is smooth and light, near OEM feel. So far I am very pleased with the results. I'm awaiting SC install (1 mo.) and will have more to report later.

Hope this helps.

-DREW-
Sorry, I gave the wrong info. I got my paperwork mixed up. My SoS clutch has 6,000 miles on it. I knew something was wrong with what I wrote.

-DREW-

Have you also looked into the Comptech PG1? Dali has them right now on special for just over $1500. I was going back and forth between the SOS sport and the PG1. But my gut went with the PG1.

EZdoesIt, do you know of any details as to what caused these failures? Also for those Socal folks that have these failures, has SOS addressed their issues?

Thanks

EZdoesIt, do you know of any details as to what caused these failures? Also for those Socal folks that have these failures, has SOS addressed their issues?

Thanks

What details would you be looking for?
What should one should look for or is a indicator to guide one to properly diagnose the cause of a new clutch failure that would place the burden of fault on either the selling party(SOS), the installer or the end user?

What would place the responsibility or liability on say for example, SOS as you seemingly assert?

I am really interested in what you have to offer to support such as notion of liability as you have suggested.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to learn.:smile:

i have heard of numerous sos clutches that went out the same way. I have a friend that has/had a SOS clutch and just failed during normal driving where his car had to be towed. I will not say who or what the outcome was until he decides to do so himself. I will say that I am surprised it has not been spoken of very much around here. When my oem clutch goes out, i will replace with anything else than SOS.

What details would you be looking for?
What should one should look for or is a indicator to guide one to properly diagnose the cause of a new clutch failure that would place the burden of fault on either the selling party(SOS), the installer or the end user?

What would place the responsibility or liability on say for example, SOS as you seemingly assert?

I am really interested in what you have to offer to support such as notion of liability as you have suggested.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to learn.:smile:

pbassjo - What details am I looking for? Any at this time. Up until now, I have not heard of any failures with the SOS clutch, then within the past week or so, a few members are saying other members are experiencing failures, and leaving it at that. No details of any sort what so ever. So my initial question asking for details, is just a simple request for more information.

Your second question is why I even asked the first. I wanted to know what these owners did, if anything, after the failure. Did they take it to another independent shop to help identify where the failure was (faulty part, installation error, driver abuse, etc)? Did they converse with SOS to help pinpoint the failure? And if yes, what was discussed and it's outcome?

For your third question and fourth question, I wasn't asserting anything or asserting liability on anyone. I was just trying to gather more details to be a more informative consumer. But this brings up a question I wanted to direct at you: At what percentage of failure of a particular consumer product would you consider the product to be defective?

Like you, I am just trying to learn by gathering information (in this case, details about the failures) :smile:

At what percentage of failure of a particular consumer product would you consider the product to be defective?
That depends on the product and its expected longevity. Some products can be expected to last forever. Others are considered "consumables" and you expect them to be replaced after a certain period of time. If that period of time is reasonable, then I wouldn't consider it defective at all. As a general rule, parts like brake pads, tires, and clutches are consumables.

I had the clutch replaced three times on my NSX, all with OEM clutches. The first time, the car had 800 miles on it; the problem wasn't actually the clutch, but the starter ring gear came off the flywheel, and they replaced the entire clutch assembly, just to be sure that anything that might have been affected was replaced. I would consider that to be defective, and so did Acura, since they replaced it under warranty. The other two times, I had 40K miles on each clutch including a lot of racetrack miles, and I think that's reasonable. (In both cases, one of the springs broke, but there wasn't all that much friction material left anyway.)

We've had two Sport clutches from So Cal returned to us in the past 3 years. One was simply worn out, the other had a broken disc liner from driving (not a clutch issue). This clutch remains our top seller. It is something however we understand will always take some understanding that its durability and longetivity is highly dependent on how it is installed and how it is driven. We've tried to make a point in the instructions that the adjustment of the master cylinder can not be overlooked. We have customers with over three years of use (include the first unit in own car which has been abused at the track).

regards,
-- Chris

Another question you might ask, if you're buying a clutch from Dali vs SOS, who would you rather deal with if you have a problem? A vendor like Chris or the invisible man?:eek:

We've had two Sport clutches from So Cal returned to us in the past 3 years. One was simply worn out, the other had a broken disc liner from driving (not a clutch issue). This clutch remains our top seller. It is something however we understand will always take some understanding that its durability and longetivity is highly dependent on how it is installed and how it is driven. We've tried to make a point in the instructions that the adjustment of the master cylinder can not be overlooked. We have customers with over three years of use (include the first unit in own car which has been abused at the track).

regards,
-- Chris

Chris the first Sport clutch you introduced. Is it the same as the clutch you currently offer, or different manufacture. Curious because I have quite a few miles on mine and it has worked flawlessly since Day 1 when I had Larry B install it. Im very happy with the results but don't want to spread misinformation. Im trying to talk My Pops into getting the same one I have. The one he has is so stiff its I find it difficult to drive I think it's an RPS.

Back