• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Firearms Thread

I heard nothing good about those triggers after everyone got to try them at SHOT.

A Micro T is nice for faster shots or the Elcan 1-4x. I prefer the holographic sights for the zero parallax and not having to worry about eye relief or scope shadow.

Interesting. I'm actually becoming quite fond of irons for just about everything. But I can get on target with red dots so much quicker.

I tend to have issues with eye dominance: it seems that neither of my eyes is dominant (or if one is, it is only "slightly" so). Believe it or not, I never shot much with a red dot, and never, for that matter, was sure if the ones I had were zeroed properly (hey... it was the army). The ACOG 1.5x was a dream, though.

I've used Elcans a fair amount (3.4x) and don't really like them. Other than their bulk, I have trouble acquiring the target when shooting from "improvised" positions (from inside a vehicle, for example). In the military, and in my free time, I always trained on iron sights, and that's what I prefer for any target that I can clearly see with my naked eye. Of course, conditions may necessitate the use of optics, but in decent lighting, within 150m... I'd prefer irons all day long.

I wish their cycle rate was a bit faster.

For the price, it is worth a shot. I should've ordered one to try it out, but it certainly beats 10-20K for a sear! Besides, it is you guys fault!! :)

The problem is you have to hold the gun all loose like you do when bump firing other rifles. I can't believe you really ordered several of those without trying it first.

Trying it first would be a little difficult in my current situation don't ya think? Besides, you guys keep posting up pretty cool stuff, who can blame me?

Last edited:
I tend to have issues with eye dominance: it seems that neither of my eyes is dominant (or if one is, it is only "slightly" so). Believe it or not, I never shot much with a red dot, and never, for that matter, was sure if the ones I had were zeroed properly (hey... it was the army). The ACOG 1.5x was a dream, though.

I've used Elcans a fair amount (3.4x) and don't really like them. Other than their bulk, I have trouble acquiring the target when shooting from "improvised" positions (from inside a vehicle, for example). In the military, and in my free time, I always trained on iron sights, and that's what I prefer for any target that I can clearly see with my naked eye. Of course, conditions may necessitate the use of optics, but in decent lighting, within 150m... I'd prefer irons all day long.

For the red dots you generally want them zeroed at 50 yards so you only have about a 2.5 inch difference from the 50 to point blank making holds easy. Iron sights are quick too and have worked since the invention of fire arms and don't mind them I just train more on red dots and the ACOG 4x.

Have any of you guys taken American Gunsmithing Institute courses? Getting certification from them is about 20k - which was a tad surprising.

Hey Hugh I'm tired of plinking small game around my 10 acres with air rifles.I need to use something silent since I still live around other homes and don't want to call attention to myself.Are there any 22 cal assault type rifles available with silencer that could fit the bill.

You can put a 22 suppressor on anything with a threaded barrel. Of course you'll have to pay for the suppressor, a $200 tax stamp , and wait a year to get it.

actually the wait lately is around 3-4 months if you E-file. there are people getting their stamps now that sent them in AFTER i did and im still waiting for my sparrow's stamp.

to doc. get a s&w 15-22. its reliable, great warranty and pretty much any standard AR parts are interchangeable.

Hey Hugh I'm tired of plinking small game around my 10 acres with air rifles.I need to use something silent since I still live around other homes and don't want to call attention to myself.Are there any 22 cal assault type rifles available with silencer that could fit the bill.

You live near other homes? Firearms a definite no no then. A .22lr can kill almost a mile out. Not worth the risk. I have an S&W 15-22 and it is fun to shoot. My bolt action Savage TRR-SR is a tack driver though. My Silencerco Sparrow silencer and sub sonic rounds makes these things quieter than a bb gun. I can shoot the thing in my bedroom and my farts are louder.

Couple of points to consider,

The 'econocan' suppressor is legal if properly registered. It is apparently not legal to replace the oil filter, unless you are a licensed manufacturer. The product page on Cadiz Gun Works even says so, and you can pay them $25 to screw on a new filter. Now obviously, there is no way to tell which oil filter was originally installed, since the filter is not a serial numbered item, but if you are seen at a range with a gear bag full of spare filters, you may wind up with legal trouble.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/02/foghorn/amazon-com-selling-unregistered-silencers/

As for the trusts, I am not a lawyer, but I have heard of some issues with the language. Specifically, some of the guys who used Quicken Willmaker may have had their trust transfers revoked by the ATF. Something about inheritance, that a normal trust can call for restricted NFA items to be passed down to persons not legally able to own them, and the ATF declared it invalid because it legally required an illegal transfer. I don't have a trust, and I don't know anyone who does, so I can't speak from experience. Any lawyers reading this who could shed some light?

Lastly, the G2 RIP 9mm ammo has now been tested, by what appears to be a competent source if you look at some of his other reviews.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...searchs-rip-ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-one/

Doesn't look that impressive, the summary is that the results can be reproduced in gel with a few .22lr shots. It also choked a Glock 19, which I didn't think was possible.

a friend of mine bought one of the oil filter adapters at a local show marketed as a "solvent catcher". I think I'll stick with the $200 stamp myself.

my next stamp will be for an SBR build.

It actually jammed a g19. In my experience (albeit limited), I've never seen a glock fail to feed either in person or anecdotally. Hmph.

Back