• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Change - What a pain in the ass!

Well.. I decided to change the oil for the first time on Sunday. I had a heck of a time getting my hand on the oil filter and ended up making a mess when my filter wrench punctured the old filter.

How the heck do you people change the oil? do I have to jack up the car and remove the right wheel to remove the filter? How do you remove the filter without oil spilling all over suspension components?

I love my 96 Legacy.. I don't even have to jack the car up to change my oil.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KsoUv03iToo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KsoUv03iToo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yep, take off the rear wheel and it's 30 seconds to get the filter off. I loosen the e-brake cable to make getting the filter out easier since my car is lowered. As the filter gets ready to fall off I put a one gallon sized plastic baggie around it to catch the filter and oil. I think I get maybe 2oz of oil on the suspension and floor. I then put on the new filter, take out the drain plug, put the rear wheel on, and I let the car down until it's level for all of the oil to drain out. I jack the car back up, put in drain plug and then add the oil. It takes no more than 15min to do the job, and ten of those are fvcking around cleaning things.

I never took my wheel off and just jacked up the car from the rear, slid under, and removed the filter. It was actually one of the easiest oil changes I've ever done.

Leaving the wheel on I made a small ramp that i drive the rear tires onto and slide underneath. To avoid getting oil all over the rear suspension i just fold a piece of cardboard ect... to divert the direction of the oil pouring out into a catch can. No need to remove the wheel or jack up the car.

To avoid getting oil all over the rear suspension i just fold a piece of cardboard ect... to divert the direction of the oil pouring out into a catch can.

I do something similar. I use aluminum foil.

Oil from filter drips onto aluminum foil and into the catch pan.
OilChange1.jpg

Remove filter.
OilChange4.jpg

Install filter and remove aluminum foil. No mess.
OilChange5.jpg

Back