• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

oil cooler placement

Hi guys....

I'm thinking of hanging a wide oil cooler on the rear sway bar and securing the bottom, think it'll work?

Henry.

Not sure about that.

Autowave installed an oil cooler in my right rear side scoop. Keeps the oil temp way down on track events. It works so good that I have to tape shut the vent when driving on the street or the oil temp won't climb above 130 F on cold morning freeway drives.

Hmmmm.....

I always wonder how much air flow do those side scoops get? I'm glad it works out for you. What is the max oil temp you get when you track your x?

Henry.

Not sure about that.

Autowave installed an oil cooler in my right rear side scoop. Keeps the oil temp way down on track events. It works so good that I have to tape shut the vent when driving on the street or the oil temp won't climb above 130 F on cold morning freeway drives.

What size oil cooler do you have? If you can keep it at 130F in cool LA morning that is quite significant! Up north here mine will be hovering around 150F and it is located in the same scoop.

As for track days, I still can get to 260F on a hot day (90+F ambient temp)when pushed hard even with my vented hood and radiator duct.

All your posts with data seem to show a significant variation from the "standard" norms that we have seen over the years. You must have one unique hand built NSX that is performing really well.

Not sure about that.

Add an oil cooler thermostat. Keeps it closed until the temp is up to XXX and then allows it to flow through the cooler. SOS, which I believe is a B&M cooler & fan has a built in 175 F thermostat.

Hmmmm.....

I always wonder how much air flow do those side scoops get? I'm glad it works out for you. What is the max oil temp you get when you track your x?

Henry.

When I'm running hard for 20 minute sessions it gets to about 220. It's almost impossible to get it to 240 degrees unless I'm on a really small/tight track like Streets of Willow where I'm in second gear a lot.

What size oil cooler do you have? If you can keep it at 130F in cool LA morning that is quite significant! Up north here mine will be hovering around 150F and it is located in the same scoop.

As for track days, I still can get to 260F on a hot day (90+F ambient temp)when pushed hard even with my vented hood and radiator duct.

All your posts with data seem to show a significant variation from the "standard" norms that we have seen over the years. You must have one unique hand built NSX that is performing really well.

I don't recall what size oil cooler I have. I do have a dual core radiator and vented hood which helps keep it cool as well.

Add an oil cooler thermostat. Keeps it closed until the temp is up to XXX and then allows it to flow through the cooler. SOS, which I believe is a B&M cooler & fan has a built in 175 F thermostat.

Good call. Thanks for the info. This sounds like my next step.

Back