• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

oil cooler removal

I've always been advised to use new gaskets for reassembly.
It takes two o-rings and one figure-8-shaped gasket,
items 18, 19, and 20 in this drawing:

13sl00_e08.gif

does the engine oil need to be drained first? anything special this little job entails? thanks

No draining required but be prepared for a small amount of oil coming out which is coming from the oil filter. So you may better dismount it first.

Special things? Yes, a lot of patience. :) BTW: Two of the three screws are coated. You can reuse them by applying locktite.

As Tom239 mentioned: Change the 8-shape-o-ring.

Very easy job. About 1/2 quart of oil loss and a little more than 1 gallon antifreeze loss when hoses removed. The top 2 bolts will come out slow due to the Hondabond used. Take off the inside axle CV boot shield to get to the small hose easier.

The top 2 bolts will come out slow due to the Hondabond used.

There's no HondaBond on the screws, it's different stuff, red thread locking one. The SM stated 'replace'.

Last edited:
thanks for the info everyone, i was really hoping to handle this myself but since there were a couple of other things to be done (and i'm on a tight schedule, headed to the track thu afternoon) i hauled it off to my mechanic. plus he's able to pressure test the system to make sure there are no more leaks, something i can't easily do.

cool, thanks for the pics. hopefully they'll help out the next person who searches on this topic. the other reason i didn't pull mine off is i have an accusump installed, and the oil return line feeds into the top center of the oil filter mount, replacing the stock banjo bolt. didn't feel like messing with that just before a track event :)

Back