• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

oil filter

where do you guys buyer your oil filters? is there any good deal? or shops that sell them as bulk?

or everyone just gets it from acura dealership?

thanks guys!!!

Yea we all buy them at the Stealerships,, but from time to time i get the BIG-ASS Fram from my Auto part store,, if you go to the stealership to get the oil filter order the airfilter if your running it stock,,

It really depends how you are driving your NSX. If you change your oil frequently (3,000 - 5,000) and you don't track your car, then the new shorter NSX filter are just fine.

Or if you prefer the taller old style filter, you can get the NAPA Nippon ones or the Denso ones from Dali Racing.

Here in NY we have Stewart's, a region based small grocer that sells gas and also offers free air!

The money that I save using their free air to fill my tires, ($.25 each fill) I keep in a rinsed out Stewart's milk carton. When I save enough I add it to my oil filter fund (money saved from returning soda bottles I find ) and buy a OEM oil filter from a dealer. When the man at the parts counter sees me coming in with my milk carton full of change he knows what I want and brings my filter right out. I rulel!:biggrin:

Tall blue denso's from NAPA. About $7 each.

This is what I use and what Honda used before they went to the short filter. I bought a 10-pack from Dali with crush washers and now have tall filters for the next ten years. :)

from time to time i get the BIG-ASS Fram from my Auto part store

A man who has never cracked open a Fram filter eh?

Wix is roughly the same quality as K&N oil filters and half the price (Good filters).
Mobil 1 has great filters.
Royal Purple just came out with a line of filters (Haven't had a chance to open one up yet).
G&K Industries makes a decent universal filter (Normally used for beater cars)

Never really buy anything else, I have opened up a few Frams from cars that come in and I don't see how these people are still in business. I mean flat out the worst filters I've ever come across and people pay more for them than they would a G&K which is 100x the quality. I mean we're talking poorly glued together cardboard that hardly passes as a filter and no means to prevent drain back.

Fram is for the ignorant and the redneck in his old pickup because "I've never had a problem with Fram, they work great!" Yeah and I don't run an oil filter on two of my engines and it's worked out fine so far; at least I don't have to worry about the innards of my oil filter falling apart, clogging itself and straving the engine (there have been reported cases of this).

For reference, I do open up every filter that comes off any car that uses a filter. Generally checking for abnormal filth buildup and/or metal.

Last edited:
Here in NY we have Stewart's, a region based small grocer that sells gas and also offers free air!

The money that I save using their free air to fill my tires, ($.25 each fill) I keep in a rinsed out Stewart's milk carton. When I save enough I add it to my oil filter fund (money saved from returning soda bottles I find ) and buy a OEM oil filter from a dealer. When the man at the parts counter sees me coming in with my milk carton full of change he knows what I want and brings my filter right out. I rulel!:biggrin:

me too, but i get my funds from my wifes clothes dryer, when she empties my boys pockets she puts the coins on top of it , i pick um up ,call Tim (ray laks) he sends the filters ,this AMERICA is a great country :biggrin:

so the good one to get is the one from NAPA? because it's exactly the same as the oem one correct? is there two kinds? short and long.. I believe. So, either the two should be okay?

Are there different sized/models (within the same make) oil filters that will work with the NSX?

The reason why I'm asking this is that I'm partial to the Walmart's ST $2 oil filters.

Yes you heard me right. I've used this for many years on the FD, GTO, truck, etc.

The reason isn't based on price (though it's nice to be the cheapest of the bunuch thanks to Walmart's tremendous buying power). It was based on the fact that the MPE is 99% and the SPE is 98%. that's higher than any of the other oil filter makers, including K&N, Mobil 1, Purolator, Fram's TG series, and the OEMs.

Apparently Walmart uses either a better or denser form of the synthetic filter element that K&N, Mobil 1, Purolator, Fram's TG series seem to use.

The filter construction looks good to me.

04150662ny.jpg

04150677gi.jpg

041506101ut.jpg

I'm currently using the Bosch filter for the NSX, but they seem to be no longer in production.

me too, but i get my funds from my wifes clothes dryer, when she empties my boys pockets she puts the coins on top of it , i pick um up ,call Tim (ray laks) he sends the filters ,this AMERICA is a great country :biggrin:

I put on my rain boots and go to the nearest public park with fountain. I gather up as many coins as I can. Then I walk through the nice Acura showrooms dripping wet and a bag full of coins and algae.

If that doesn't work, I wait until Wednesday. Wednesday is trash pickup day. I drive my NSX through the neighborhood and collect cans out of the blue recycling trash bins. Once I get 3 bags full, I find a nearby water hose. I spray water on the cans to get them damp. This helps to add weight to the can. I get paid by the weight, so the heavier the cans, the more money I get. I go to my local supermarket that has a recycling center in rear parking lot. I drop off the can, pick up my money, and head over to the dealership.

It appears that a the NSX oil filter is the same application as the following cars:

TL Base, 96-98
TL Premium, 96-98

http://www.kragen.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=1&PTSet=A

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acur...Accessories?hash=item439d145298#ht_3579wt_824

I called 2 local Acura Dealerships and they did confirm that all of the NSX and 3.2 TLs from 96-98 do use the same oil filter. One of the dealer ship said it was $20 each!!!

If that is the case then the corresponding part number for the NSX/TL oil filter at Walmart should be ST8212.

Thanks for sharing that Batman. I use that for my other cars.

Our cars have a filter on them...........................??????????????

Just drop some Kleenex in the oil filler hole - it will catch all the gunk going by.

PS: Above response influenced by today's snow storm in NJ -- what seems like our millionth for the month. Up to 2 feet expected. This has got to stop. I'm having withdrawal pains from not driving the NSX for about 2 months.:eek:

PPS: I use Purolator L24484.

Last edited:
I found a guy on ebay who had a case of 20 of new original long OEM Honda filters (15400-PL2-004 IIRC). I snatched them up and have used 2 of them so far. So I figure I'm set for at least 10 years.

I'm on the market for some more NSX oil filters and came across more info that I like to share:

I never thought about Amsoil's oil filters. Too bad they don't seem to have a replacement for the NSX. According to http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml and a few other sites, Amsoil makes the best oil filter.

EAO_ExplodedFilter_560px.jpg

eao_efficiency_500px.jpg

cellulosemediaspacing_270px.jpg
syntheticmediaspacing_270px.jpg

filter_inlet.jpg

fram_bosch.jpg

amsoil.jpg

filter_media.jpg

Amsoil will reference the Wix oil filter instead. Made with a full metal base plate for superior strength at the double seal & also feature a silicone anti-drainback valve. Glass-enhanced media in WIX oil filters offers greater efficiency, capturing more 10 to 12 micron sized particles than other cellulose/synthetic blend medias. According to Wix's site their nominal micron rating is 17 microns for the NSX application.

I'm going to buy the oil filter magnet for extra safety measures to help keep the ferrous particles clinging to the the inside of the oil filter walls.

filtermag1.jpg

There's a lot of good stuff said about Purolator One:

PureONE_Oilcutaway.jpg

"99.9% of all contaminants that pass through a PureONE oil filter are captured in the media. Even microscopic particles get trapped in PureONE's exclusive Micronic media, saving your engine from damage. this information is based on Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001. Common contaminants can kick up from the road and damage your engine - like dirt, metal shavings, bugs, and more – up to 13 grams worth! That equates to 8 nails … or 20 nuts … or 31 paper clips worth of damaging particles that could get into your engine if it weren’t protected by a PureONE oil filter."

13gm_img.jpg

I'm going to take one of the bosch oil filters and find out what the thread specs are.

Last edited:
Back