• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil for track events

To those of you that drive hard and fast on track events, what do you do about your engine oil. Obviously, it is best to have fresh clean new oil in the engine. But do you run a different oil for track events? Like a straight 30 or 40 instead of a multi-viscosity? Are there any straight weight synthetics? Do you change your oil immediately after a track event as well as before? I'm about to attend my first real track event (I've done one autocross so far, but I know that is not the same as a day on a racetrack). Also, for a beginner, is it better to have a full tank of gas for ballast, or should I try and have less than a full tank at the beginning?

Fritz

nsx4fun,

I would recommend clean 10W30 synthetic. Mobil 1 or Redline.

Full tank is OK. YOu will not be after lap times yet!!

My $.02
LarryB

Fritz

Don't worry about different type of oil. Just use 10/30 and you should be fine. Especially for beginners, you won't be pushing the car as hard anyway.

Full tank of gas always a good idea. Mainly not for ballast, rather to avoid fuel starvation. Although I have never had such problem in the NSX.

------------------
Register for NSX driving School at Thunderhill (9/3/2002) by clicking here

Just use 10W30. Use synthetic oil if you like; most of us do. Make sure your oil has been changed in the previous 3 months or 3,000 miles; no need to change more frequently. Make sure you check your oil level at the start of the day and once in a while during the course of the day.

Start the day with a full tank of gas. On the track, the NSX can get as little as 9 mpg; depending on how much track time you get, it's possible to go through an entire tank in less than a day, and you don't want to have to miss track time to leave the track to refill.

i'm anal... my track preparations are simple. Prior to every event I:

1. Change oil
2. Flush brake fluid
3. Change brake pads to track pads
4. Inspect rotors and all the other stuff..

Now according to many.. you don't need to..
1. Change oil nearly this frequently
2. Flush.. simple bleeding would be sufficient
3. For beginner stick w/ oem for now.. you'll be fine.
4. Please do only if you know how to work with cars. Otherwise please bring to dealer or equivalent for inspection.

Good luck at the track and remember to keep an open mind...
x

I think my car's previous owner ran 20w-50 non-synthetic at his track events. I dunno why this was, but i recall him telling me this when i said i was switching to mobil 1 10w-30.

Alright Fritz, let's keep things simple.

The NSX doesn't need all that much pampering for track events that we normally go to. Start using 10/30w Mobil 1 synthetic oil and keep using it from now on as your normal oil. Flush the brake fluid if you haven't done so in the last year. Top off all fluids as you normally would. Check for pad thickness and you should have at least 2/3 pad material left before going out. You will find that stock brake pads will not hold up in the long run so if you're inclined to go with a better street/track pad, then call me at home. If you're running on stock tires, then make sure they're in good shape. For your first event, they are more than adequate. Make sure your helmet is Snell 95 - 2000 rated and then bring lots of water with you for the track. Good luck and really start to enjoy the great car you have.

:biggrin:

Back