• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ok for wheel cleaner to dry/bake onto rims?

Ski_Banker

Suspended
Funny story, at least since it has a happy ending.

So yesterday after work, I stop at the ONLY place I know of with access to a hose where I can wash my car. I live in a condo building -- no hose for washing my car (and I have yet to find a self car wash anywhere near Brickell or SoBe). I had my cleaning supplies in my trunk -- wanted to lose the post-Ernesto film covering my NSX.

So, with brilliant foresight, I decided to spray my rims with wheel cleaner (Armor All basic stuff...works ok) so they could soak for a second while I filled up a bucket, etc. I walk over to the spigot...turn counterclockwise...nothing. Turn clockwise... still nothing. 10 feet of parched earth and dry cement separated me from my NSX, with the wheel cleaner slowly drying. :eek: Since I was in public, the redneck solution for rinsing the wheels wasn't an option. Panicking, I jumped in the car, drove to the nearest gas station and dumped some quarters in the Air/Water dispenser. A 10 year old with a package of Big League chew could produce more fluid than that thing did... problem far from solved. Another gas station... same thing. I start heading to South Miami where I knew of a car wash (not DIY, but I wasn't picky at this point). The stuff has been nicely tempering the warm rims for about 25 mins at this point. But wait! Are those storm clouds I see? Will a SoFl downpour rinse my rims for me? Not yet! 10 mins later, I pull into the car wash.

Aside -
This was one of those fancy automated washes, with lots of employees and towels. I don't know if it was Hugh's Laserwash 4000, but for 20 bucks (5 bucks extra for a rim job) it did one hell of a job. You could've eaten sushi off the hood, it was so clean. That cleanliness lasted for about 4 min:45sec. I jumped in my car before the towel laden employees could molest my car, streak my paint, and then ask for a couple extra bucks. No thanks...I air dry. :biggrin:

- Satisfied that the chemical was pretty much off the rims, I start my trek home. Ahhhh...perfect timing! Now that the car is spotlessly clean, here's that downpour I needed earlier! I splashed my way back to the beach, dryed the rims myself (to make sure no residue remained), and retired to my quarters. And, the happy ending, was that this morning, going to work, my rims sparkled with vigor (not with corrosion) and for that I heated up the tires even more than usual as my way of saying "thank you"

So, anyway, if this happens to any of ya'll at NSXPO, you should be fine for the little drive to Exotic Car Wash on U.S. 1 at Coral Gables, FL. :wink:

Ski_Banker said:
This was one of those fancy automated washes, with lots of employees and towels. I don't know if it was Hugh's Laserwash 4000, but for 20 bucks (5 bucks extra for a rim job) it did one hell of a job.

Laserwash 4000 is unmanned, and costs about 6 bucks. I'm sure there are several in Orlando. I'll find out exactly where before XPO. But I could really give a shit if my car gets dirty. I'm there to slow dance with Ken. :)

Yeah maybe that's what I get for sloshing Armor All wheel cleaner on the $1700 rims. Rookie mistake??? :tongue:

I guess the moral of the story is this:

Make sure, BEFORE you squirt caustic liquids on your rims, that you can remove said liquids in a timely manner - TROUBLE if not! In a broader sense, these are very much words of wisdom, applicable outside of the auto world :wink: :rolleyes:

Back