• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Okay guys, not trying to bug you but I have to know...

What timeframe have some of you had to wait for whatever reason to get your first NSX? Some of you I'm sure could afford to just go out and buy your NSX on the spot
smile.gif
,others of you may have had to wait years and years or am like me and still waiting.

I'm 26 and I've wanted one for 8 years, and if I dont get one this year or next year, then maybe the year after. I want one just as bad today as I did 8 years ago and I will want one just as bad in 2 years as I do today. How about the rest of you out there?

------------------
'99 Black GSR
'97 Black Grand Cherokee

When I saw my first NSX I wanted one but figured they were so far out of my range,Id have to be rich to own one.Things change in life and next thing you know,I had one(about 2-3 years later) I fell into it.I tried to buy a Supra but couldnt get financed on it.I went to a different dealer and drove home in a 92 NSX(go figure)Now I own a 97-T that I paid cash for.Im 29 yrs old and own all my cars.If yousell both your vehicles,Im positive you could have an NSX.Try,youll see.
biggrin.gif

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa

Nice to see another Michigan NSX fan (not a fan of me (see user name), but of the car).

I wanted an NSX since they came out in '91, but they were WAY out of my price range - I may as well have been lusting after an F40.

However, I worked hard, saved my money, and finally, in 1999, I bought...a '93 Toyota MR2 Turbo. It was the closest thing I could afford that was at least like an NSX. It was all red, but I had a paint shop black in the canopy (like the early NSXs), lowered the car, and put on 16"/17" wheels (staggered sizes - an idea I got from...the NSX).

Anyway, I was very happy with what I had (I loved that car) until one day at work a co-worker brought in an NSX he was test driving. He couldn't really afford it but he knew I loved the car so he asked if I would like to drive it. Big Mistake!! The MR2 went up for sale the next day.

To make a long story short I sold the MR2 (to my brother) in 2001 and bought a 1991 black NSX with 107K miles on it (after seriously looking for an NSX for exactly 1 day!!).

So I guess the answer to your question is:

I wanted one for 10 years.
I kinda looked for 1 1/2 years.
I seriously looked for 1 day (then bought the car 2 days later)

By the way, the car has been great and I still get to drive the MR2 every once in a while (like today)
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Haha, cool. Im selling the teg here in a few months, and Id love to sell the Cherokee if thats what it takes to get my NSX. And believe me, Ive thought about it. But heres where the road block actually has a cliff behind it: I live in Grand Rapids, MI and theres no way in hell im driving my dream car in the snow. Catch my drift?
wink.gif

Besides, I only pay $176 a month on my Grand Cherokee (car dealer friend wholesale'd it to me) and by getting rid of my Integra, I can free up $500 a month between a note, insurance, and gas, and slice my debt to income ratio down to a favorable amount so I can get financed on a '91-'93 NSX. So I do have a plan.
smile.gif

------------------
'99 Black GSR
'97 Black Grand Cherokee

Originally posted by Teej:
What timeframe have some of you had to wait for whatever reason to get your first NSX?

Well over four years from the time I put down a deposit on the NSX (in mid 1986, based on rumors that Acura would be coming out with a sports car that might reach the then-unheard-of price - for a Japanese car - of $25K) until I drove mine home (at the end of 1990).

Originally posted by Teej:
I live in Grand Rapids, MI

Cool. You can have Bill Taylor work on your car. Great dealer tech.

And drive it at Grattan and GingerMan...

I wanted an NSX ever since I turned 16 and knew how to drive and got more interested in cars (8 years ago). Studied hard to get good grades, then found a good job, lived like a hermit(college lifestyle) while I worked, and saved money. About 8 months after I worked, finally got a 1991 NSX.

Been wanting one for the last 5 years or so, but seriously looking for the last 9 months. I've looked at jimshih's (Jimmy) 94 green/tan Saturday. Nice. If I can come up with the $ and the bank approves the loan, I'll be the next owner. I'm not too worried about maintenance either - next door neighbor is a retired Honda mechanic (15 years with Honda, 12 with Ford) who will help me with the up-keep. I'll let you know if I buy Jimmy's NSX.
smile.gif

To be honest, I wasnt even looking for an NSX, I was in the market for a 328 or a 930 for about 3 years till I purchased my 93.

I didnt even know anything about the NSX other than the great reviews.

Our dealer took it in on a trade the price was right and the rest was history. No regrets and Im loving it more and more.

I would love to have a 930 along with my NSX.

Normally Its "extensive research before the transaction" but this was the other way around. "Buy it now research later. =)"

Have liked and wanted the NSX since I read the first pre-production articles. However, car was way out of my price-range (price here about equal to US$120000). Drove (and still have) cheapest car I could find for years. Saved money all the time but always something came up that needed it again. Now, since ONE week I have a '94 NSX and am loving every minute in it.

Litesokneecough,

I would pick up Jimmy's car if I were you. he is asking a very reasonable price for the car. I haven't actually seen it myself, but I have met him several times and find him to be very straight forward and honest. He is also a true fan of the car and it sounds and looks really clean from the pictures and what he has told me.

Chris

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Cool. You can have Bill Taylor work on your car. Great dealer tech.

And drive it at Grattan and GingerMan...

...and Waterford Hills although that might be a little drive.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 07 May 2002).]

I have been wanting an NSX for about 4 years now. I have always loved the car since the first time I ever saw it in an ACURA showroom. I am just now to the point where I can afford a 91 in good condition with decent miles. Trouble is, it is not easy to find what you are looking for. Also, it seems like every car I find, 15 other people are looking at it aswell. So, it is pretty hard to get a good price on a used car. Almost has to be a right time at the right place deal.

Anyway, the search goes on!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I guess to support the Michigan NSX fans, I have decided to chime in.

I too have lusted after an NSX since their release in 1991, however it was always "the untouchable". I ended up getting bit by the rotor bug in 1996 and bought a 87 Turbo II RX-7, in about 2 years that got underpowered and bumped upto a 93 RX-7 Twin Turbo. I ended up getting 402RWHP out of that car and loved every minute of it. The RX-7 has just been sold and is going to be picked up this weekend to a very eager buyer.

Now, the untouchable is finally a reality... I just have to *find* a good condition 95-T NSX and start again. An odd thing about my search, the first two NSXs I called on ended up being incorrect in their ads. Both were listed as 95 Black/Black Targas... One ended up being a Red/Tan Tagrga, and the other a 91 Black/Tan.......odd. =)

If there are any out there that people know of a *nice* 95-T in Black, White, or Silver, PLEASE let me know! =)

------------------
Matt Gold
[email protected]

www.Specmo.com

I think it's kind of amusing you sold your MR2 Turbo to your brother, and still get visitation rights. I did the same thing when I got my NSX. I had paid off my integra, but after I got my NSX, I wasn't driving it. So when my friend's Prelude got stolen, I let him drive it (so he had something to drive). He ended up buying it a month later, and I still got to see it sometimes. The sad part is, he traded it in for an IS300 about a month ago. It was kind of emotional for me having my "second child" in my garage taking all the aftermarket parts off of it with him.

Anyway, some advice to Teej. Sell both cars, and then by an NSX and an old Civic or something else cheap, reliable, and front wheel drive. A civic hatchback will handle snow duty, as well as moving anything too big to fit in your NSX. After going a long time with my NSX as my only car, a friend of mine had an extra 93' DX Hatchback he was selling cheap (he bought two because he wasn't sure which one he wanted, and then decided to sell the other), and I'm SOOOooo glad I bought it.

I have always loved that body style and the car's potential (suspension and motor swap). I put about 1500 into suspension, wheels, tires, and steering wheel, and it's now it's almost as much fun on the street as the NSX is, even with the anemic motor. Having a $5000 car that you can toss around without really worrying about potholes, chips, curbs, etc is kinda fun. Ever try doing an e-brake turn into a parking spot with your NSX? Didn't think so. And every time I got grocery shopping, or have to take a full set of wheels and tires somewhere, or need to pick up a big package, I think to myself "How did I ever get along without this?"

As for how long I had to wait for my NSX... At the beginning of 2000, I was making $38k. I had roommates, so not much rent, my Integra was paid off, no college loans, just a couple grand on the credit card. I hadn't realized how cheap you could get the early ones for, but as soon as I saw one in the $30k range, I almost died. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I kept thinking to myself "If I really reduce my spending, I can afford one." But I decided I really didn't want to make that sacrifice, so I decided to just get a bunch of stuff for my integra (seats, clutch, lsd, turbo, rims, etc). Well, a month after I placed an order for some Recaros and strut tower braces, I got a 50% raise to $57k/year. The seats were still on back order and there was a black NSX for low $30's locally. After that point, there was no turning back. =)

-Mike

[This message has been edited by grippgoat (edited 07 May 2002).]

I didn't like the NSX when I first saw it. I was a Porsche guy waiting on the new twin-turbo. I disliked the NSX's wheels and black roof, and the site an NSX with Comptech body panels made me laugh. Porsche, on the other hand, started to hold back on the release of new designs, and a lot of other corporate BS, in an effort to grow the company. I then got back into motorbikes, and I rediscovered my relationship with Honda motorcycles, and had a new-found appreciation for the Big H, as a company. IMO, Porsche became like Harley Davidson, happy to put out the same over-priced crap, pushing the "history" aspect. As a matter of fact, I don't like most modern cars much, except for the performance.

The test drive is what sold me, period. Everything is as it should be, in an NSX. A supercharger would make it fun to blow away faster cars with less work, and just about every aspect of the car can be upgraded with a nice selection of aftermarket goodies. I even have the Comptech wing on my car, isn't funny how men change? When I bought the NSX, I called the insurance agent, and she wanted 250% more to insure the NSX than the Porsche Twin Turbo. LOL, then I hung up.

Anyway, in the "old" days, cars never had metal shift knobs because it would be too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Cars never had metal pedals because they would be slippery when your shoes were wet. Cars never had chrome bezel guage surrounds because it would reflect glare in your eyes. Cars never had lights mounted on the corners because they can get broken from two directions instead of just one. Maybe that is why I drive the NSX, because it was designed when things were done differently.

I think I sum it up pretty well on my website.

Basically, I loved the NSX from the moment I saw design sketches in car mags. At the time I was still in high school, so I knew I wouldn't be in position to afford one until many years later.

As the 90's came to a close, I realized that I my income, bonuses, and savings were placing me within striking range of buying one. I had to own a targa and wouldn't settle for anything less than the 3.2L engine...so I was only looking at '97 and up. After much debate, I decided to buy new...but it wasn't until 2000 that I could comfortably afford doing so.

So it took me a little more than ten years to make my dream a reality. It was quite an experience being a casually dressed 27 year old walking into an Acura dealership and seeing my dream car sitting right in front of me, being approached by a salesperson asking "what can I help you with?", and answering "actually, I'd like to buy this NSX."
biggrin.gif

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 07 May 2002).]

I first saw a black/tan NSX in 1991 and really loved the lines. I was really more interested in a convertible though. I didn't really get hooked until a guy who worked for me drove me around in his '94 Black/tan for about a year -- we also looked at a Yellow/Onyx for another NSXCA member and that hooked me on the T version.

I got the chance last year for a good deal on a '97 Monte Carlo Blue/Onyx (a color I really loved at first sight) and bought it! I've been having a blast ever since. It's my daily driver and I loved the drive to work (currently dot-bombed). Still love driving it around!

------------------
seattle-summer01.jpg

I was in love with the NSX ever since my dad bought one when it came out (1990). I was 11 years old and have already developed my love for cars as I've 4 influential older brothers. Every weekend I'd ask my dad to drive me around Hong Kong and feel the blast of its V6 engine. I was happy and sad at the same time. Happy the fact that I was sitting in it, sad to think the car would likely to be gone by the time I get my license.

7 years later, I got my license and the car was still there. I sat on the driver's side of the NSX for the 1st time and turned the keys. Next thing I know, I was already driving above the speed limit.

5 years after that, which takes us to the present (2002). I went to a Porsche dealership looking for a 2002 Carrera 4S and I'll have to wait 4-6 months for the right color. The dealer persuaded me to get a C2 which is faster and cheaper but I refused. I told him I wanted to get an (relatively)unique car where in Boston (that's where I study now), C2 are very common. Yes, C4S cost 13k more and it's slower because it gained weight for its 4wd but not many people will pay so much for such a car, just like the NSX. Then the dealer said, "Did you say NSX?" I nodded and he said an old guy is trading in his NSX for the 996 Turbo the very same day. He asked me to come back the next day to check it out and I did. I took the NSX for a test drive, loved it and put down the deposit right away. Few days later, I traded in my Audi S4 and became a proud NSX owner
smile.gif

To answer your question:

I wanted an NSX for 12 years.
Never really looked for one since it's too flashy and kinda impractical, that's why I went for Porsche in the 1st place. The C4S was for uniqueness and the ability to drive in the snow if I had to. I didn't expect to come out of the Porsche dealership with an Acura, I guess it's fate that brought us together. I'm 22 and turning 23 in less than 2 months, I should be getting an RSX TypeS as my daily car.

------------------
'98-T Kaiser Silver/Black

Originally posted by akira3d:
It was quite an experience being a casually dressed 27 year old walking into an Acura dealership and seeing my dream car sitting right in front of me, being approached by a salesperson asking "what can I help you with?", and answering "actually, I'd like to buy this NSX."
biggrin.gif

NICE

Back