• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OMG - Dealer Wrecked My '04

Ryan,

Kindly post the VIN number of the wrecked blue car for your buddies here at Prime so at least WE know later on when that car pops up.

Thanks.

Bobolinski said:
Who said the Dealer is to report the accident? Anyone wth the documentation to back up their claim can report on a Vin.

So are you going to report it? Do you have Ryan's VIN? I don't understand why you are concerned about this. The car wasn't totalled. If anyone has the money to buy an 04 NSX and they don't have the common sense to check it out for previous damage, then who cares? If the car was repaired properly and whoever is buying it is fine with it, then that's up to them.

You're kidding, right ?

It's already been suggested (and I for one believe it) that the damage/incident may not (or probably WILL not) appear on Carfax. If that dealer subsequently sells that car, do you think THEY will disclose the fact it was damaged and repaired ???

And are you further (or is that "farther" ? :biggrin: ) suggesting that if YOU were looking at this particular car, or ANY car for that matter, the fact that it had been damaged and repaired would have no bearing on your purchasing decision (or the price you'd be willing to pay for it) ?

(Just curious before I offer you that bridge I have for sale :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: )

NSX-GUY said:
You're kidding, right ?

It's already been suggested (and I for one believe it) that the damage/incident may not (or probably WILL not) appear on Carfax. If that dealer subsequently sells that car, do you think THEY will disclose the fact it was damaged and repaired ???

And are you further (or is that "farther" ? :biggrin: ) suggesting that if YOU were looking at this particular car, or ANY car for that matter, the fact that it had been damaged and repaired would have no bearing on your purchasing decision (or the price you'd be willing to pay for it) ?

(Just curious before I offer you that bridge I have for sale :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: )

I know in most states that if the prospective buyer ASKS if the car has been damaged and repaired, the dealer is required by law to inform them. That being said, who knows what the dealer may try to get away with. They could accidentally "lose" the paperwork.

You just answered your own question. CarFax and such are tools to be used for a prospective buyer to determine cars value. Information is Power.You are not suggesting this 04 should be valued as a non wrecked 04..are you? I care about things like this for the same reason I would pull over to help a stranded person on the highway. Its called doing the right thing. Mull that over as you drink your coffee at Starbucks today.Believe it or not there are people in the world who do not cheat when they know no one is looking.Remember fight the urge! Yay you hit a nerve.

Bobolinski said:
You just answered your own question. CarFax and such are tools to be used for a prospective buyer to determine cars value. Information is Power.You are not suggesting this 04 should be valued as a non wrecked 04..are you? I care about things like this for the same reason I would pull over to help a stranded person on the highway. Its called doing the right thing. Mull that over as you drink your coffee at Starbucks today.Believe it or not there are people in the world who do not cheat when they know no one is looking.Remember fight the urge! Yay you hit a nerve.

I don't know if i'd compare helping a stranded motorist with reporting info to CarFax. To me, it's like in the second grade when you tattle on another student for not sharing with someone else.

Yes, CarFax is probably power, but in my opinion, this is still between the dealership and Ryan. This is still his car right now. I don't see how anyone not even affiliated with this situtation has any business trying to report this info to CarFax.

SCS2k said:
I know in most states that if the prospective buyer ASKS if the car has been damaged and repaired, the dealer is required by law to inform them. That being said, who knows what the dealer may try to get away with. They could accidentally "lose" the paperwork.

Don't know about many/most/majority/whatever. I do know though that recently (New Jersey) I was at an Audi dealer asking about a leftover '04 S4. He said he had about 4 or 5 of them at a great price because they had been vandalized a little bit. Nothing tremendous, just some front fender/light damage that was pretty easily repairable but required some paintwork, etc.

He told me that as a new car dealer and these BEING "new cars", i.e. never titled, that he was required by law to disclose the work.

He also told me that if they were "used cars" he was under no such obligation.

White92 said:
I don't know if i'd compare helping a stranded motorist with reporting info to CarFax. To me, it's like in the second grade when you tattle on another student for not sharing with someone else.

Yes, CarFax is probably power, but in my opinion, this is still between the dealership and Ryan. This is still his car right now. I don't see how anyone not even affiliated with this situtation has any business trying to report this info to CarFax.

OK, let me see now. Note to self.......

Nsxprime members I will help with info.

stevenyc
Bobolinski
<S>[font=Times New (W1)]White92[/font]</S>
SCS2K
fredthefurrier

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

NSX-GUY said:
OK, let me see now. Note to self.......

Nsxprime members I will help with info.

stevenyc
Bobolinski
<S>[font=Times New (W1)]White92[/font]</S>
SCS2K
fredthefurrier

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

HAHA! Ok, you got me. Now that's funny! Let's just agree to disagree. :biggrin:

If it makes everyone feel better, the VIN # is JH4NA21634T000028

Pictures of the damage (crash and burn?) are posted here.

Everyone's dwelling on the negative... personally, I'm like a kid before Christmas - I ordered my NSX-R wheels today :)

Ryan

NSX-GUY said:
Don't know about many/most/majority/whatever. I do know though that recently (New Jersey) I was at an Audi dealer asking about a leftover '04 S4. He said he had about 4 or 5 of them at a great price because they had been vandalized a little bit. Nothing tremendous, just some front fender/light damage that was pretty easily repairable but required some paintwork, etc.

He told me that as a new car dealer and these BEING "new cars", i.e. never titled, that he was required by law to disclose the work.

He also told me that if they were "used cars" he was under no such obligation.

All true.

We bought a 04 special order convertible Vette that was damaged when the detailer drove the car through a overhead door that was not open at the time. This was done right in front of the prospective buyer. He asked for his check back and left the dealer with the car. We bought the car and the dealer ensured us the car would have a clean bill of sale but that was not the case. As most could probably guess a car with salvage paper work is worth substantially less than damaged car with clean paper work. So we overpaid thinking we were getting clean paperwork. in the end we broke even on the deal. Because a title was never issued the damaged had to be reported.
Car fax is a joke. I personally know of many totaled cars that have clean titles on car fax. You might as well send me your 20 bucks and I will ask my magic 8 ball because it is about as accurate as car fax is..

Run a car fax on this vehicle. I bet it is clean. VIN....1FTDF15R7RLB30205 It has been wrecked 3 times. 1st accident 17k in damage. second accident 5k and 3rd 5k. Car fax is a joke, false security.

BTW I see 25,000 plus veiws on this topic. Does that mean 25k different people have looked at the thread or does the same person count multiple times?

Last edited:
I think a more fitting quote for this topic is...

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is the same as expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

Be the bull! nananananananana

Ryan who did you order your wheels from and which rear spoiler will you be using for your conversion. I talked with James at Wholesale Hyperformance today and he tells me they will have a Oem replica wing with brake light by summer. The brake light is suppose to be a like copy of original, unlike others available.

:frown: Sorry about the wreck, man, hope things will get worked out soon.

Bobolinski said:
Ryan who did you order your wheels from and which rear spoiler will you be using for your conversion. I talked with James at Wholesale Hyperformance today and he tells me they will have a Oem replica wing with brake light by summer. The brake light is suppose to be a like copy of original, unlike others available.

I got the wheels from Mark @ Dali. The wing is the Procar piece - mine has no brake light, at this point, but we're going to put one in. From the pictures I've seen, the actual NSX-R has a painted spoiler, so I can save the cost of a new wing by just putting the light in.

I've got the Taitec CF NSX-R hood (adapted to fit '02+ headlights), but I'm selling that ASAP to get the Procar piece. The underside of the Taitec hood is flat black; I want the bottom to be exposed CF, so the Procar one works perfect.

Ryan

I have been following your thread here and on S2ki. Good luck with your search. You are a better man than I for being so accomodating. :tongue:

This is a little off topic, but lets say you negotiate a deal to buy a new NSX for $80,000 less say $60,000 for a trade ( I know these aren't your numbers). The NSX is scheduled for July delivery. If between now and July you're able to sell your trade for $65,000 can you simply write a check for $80,000 when the new NSX shows up? Or are you bound to keep your trade-in car until the new NSX shows up?

gobble said:
This is a little off topic, but lets say you negotiate a deal to buy a new NSX for $80,000 less say $60,000 for a trade ( I know these aren't your numbers). The NSX is scheduled for July delivery. If between now and July you're able to sell your trade for $65,000 can you simply write a check for $80,000 when the new NSX shows up? Or are you bound to keep your trade-in car until the new NSX shows up?

In NY the above deal would add $5,362.50 in sales tax to the new car price.

Agree, but I'm thinking of trading an A4 for a new Cooper S. My trade in number and tax would be much smaller. Could I back out of the trade if I sold the Audi for a decent price before the Mini arrives?

gobble said:
Agree, but I'm thinking of trading an A4 for a new Cooper S. My trade in number and tax would be much smaller. Could I back out of the trade if I sold the Audi for a decent price before the Mini arrives?

I would ask the dealer you are buying the Mini from.

steveny said:
I would ask the dealer you are buying the Mini from.

of course you could sell the audi at any time before you pick up the mini... some dealers may even do a courtesy delivery so you still save the tax savings :wink:

steveny said:
In NY the above deal would add $5,362.50 in sales tax to the new car price.

Nope. Only about $1,600; sales tax on the $20K difference (8% in NY, no ? Or is it 8.5 ? In which case the difference would be $1,700) :wink:

NSX-GUY said:
Nope. Only about $1,600; sales tax on the $20K difference (8% in NY, no ? Or is it 8.5 ? In which case the difference would be $1,700) :wink:

Here is the original post:

So...in his example instead of having a $60,000 trade and a $20,000 check he is writing a $80,000 check. Here in NY tax is due on any cash part of the transaction. If he trades for 60k and adds 20k check he owes tax on 20k, but if he sells out right for $65,000 and writes a check for $80,000 he will owe tax on the entire $80,000. I figured the additional tax liability he would owe on $65,000 at 8.25% NYS sales tax rate for my county in my post.
By selling instead of trading he is effectively costing himself .0825 on what ever he gets for the car. He would need to get more than .0825% than what the dealer has offered in trade to make selling the car worth the time. :wink: :wink: :biggrin:

Back