• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

??ON HOW TO INSTALL PASSNGER AIR BAG..

I HAVE A 1997 NSX WITH PASSENGER AIR BAG BLOWN, DO I NEED TO BUY A NEW ONE OR CAN I BUY A USED ONE WITHOUT A COVER & GET IT INSTALLED TO WORK. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS. I WOULD APPRECITE ANYONE'S ADVISE THANK YOU!!!

Oops....

NEVER EVER buy a car with airbags removed, or being blown (not trying to be sarcastic).
Now that you have one, nine times out of ten you can't just replace the airbag like that, well, physicaly you can, but that won't be any good. Most cars which have there airbag(s) blown will never see a new one again.
Why?
Because it's not just the airbag you have to replace, you have to replace airbag controllers etc. I know there are cars which require to have the whole wiringharness replaced. I don't know what you do need to change in the case of the NSX. But since you want to put the airbag back in, you want to be sure that the next time you need it, it will be working.

I'll say, find someone who knows all about it.

Mich

Hey Mich,

I just reviewed the service manual for the 1991. The only caution I see is never install a used one, only a new one. There does not seem to be any mention about replacing harnesses etc.

Now this is the 1991 manual so it does not address the passenger side airbag, but I cannot see it being any different.

It does seem like basically a bolt on item, it included testing that the SRS light comes on for 6 seconds and the system test passes.

I have to ask: Is you comment a general caution, or do you have specific info on the NSX airbags I missed?

I know last year I had to do a heater core on a 1996 Accord. It is a pretty extensive teardown of the dashboard (job took 6 hours). I removed the airbag carefully, reinstalled it as the book described and all was well. (Obviously this airbag had not been deployed)

I am very concerned if I missed a caution along the way. Please advise.

Regards,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 03 October 2002).]

Larry,

I looked at the manual, and couldn't find an extensive procedure for replacing the airbags, which i really expected. AFAIK you do at least need to 'reset' a controller or something.
Offcourse it might be a complete different story on the NSX (and it will
wink.gif
). Most of these procedure's i have seen, where on the early airbag fitted german cars. I also know from a friend who has a body workshop, that they always take the car to a dealer to do the airbagjob. Probably has to do with claims after a second accident as well.
The main reason for replacing the harness, was the enormous current/voltage going through the wiring to the airbag.

As for simply taking off, and puting back on a airbag, there's not much to it. I did it to my NSX a number of times, and also on other cars. The airbag itself has a certain resistance, which is measured by the controller. Thats why some cars are being sold with a 'good' airbag (SRS light goes on and off), where infact the airbag has been replaced with a resistor :EEK:
The reasons for this are obvious.

If it's as easy as just replacing the airbag, then youre lucky. I'm sure someone knows more about it, since accidents happen all the time.....

Mich

[This message has been edited by DutchBlackNsx (edited 03 October 2002).]

MY CAR WAS IN AN ACCIDENT. SO BESIDES JUST REPLACING THE AIR BAG ITSELF, WHAT ELSE MUST BE REPLACED. I WAS TOLD HERE THAT I MIGHT NEED THE CONTROLERS, SO WHAT ARE YOU SELLING. IS IT JUST THE AIR BAG OR IS IT THE WHOLE THING!!

Why don't you just have the air bags replaced as part of the body work?

BTW, unless you're trying to tell us that YOU'RE SHOUTING, you shouldn't type in all capital letters. Allow me to introduce you to a feature on your keyboard:

caps.gif

biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 03 October 2002).]

In between these few posts I did a little research (friend at a body shop). He typically does replace the SRS computer and the airbag(s). Then they run the SRS test. If it passes and the SRS light goes out they are done. If not they will also replace the harness once they find the bad one.

So, Mich, your recommendation is right on, and does require some diagnostics to define what needs to be replaced.

He also mentioned to me that NSX's, from his experience, typically do not need a harness replacement, and in fact each car will have a different recommendation from the manufacturer in this regard.

In the case of a newer Honda Civic, for example, the airbag can be triggered by a sensor in the seat belt, so if they deploy, for that reason, you get new seatbelts too.

My example, when I removed the dash to do repairs is really not applicable to this discussion, since there was no deployment in my case.

Learn something new every day
smile.gif
, Hopefully.

HTH,
LarryB

I am just selling the airbag without the cover. I took the cover off to cover the hole in my dash.. There is nothing wrong with the airbag. I removed it for weight savings.

Back