• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

One more question: NSX and Track

I am really sorry that I constantly ask questions. I guess that I am quite nervous and want to be well prepared for my first track event.

I was talking to an instructor (also a test driver for Volkwagen) who tracks competitively with many years of experience. I told him my motivation and interest in participating in various track events this year and on. He then asked me what kind of car I would drive at the track. I told him that I wan to track my NSX.

His immediate response was, "no, you don't want to track such a nice car. You should pick up a cheap car, and race it." I, then, told him that I see a lot of NSX owners participating at the track events. He responded, "those people are highly experienced with many years of track experience. For someone like you, you don't want to use a car like NSX."

Now I am confused. I thought that a lot of folks here started track events with their NSX?? Is it because he was concerned that I may wreck my NSX?? I am getting worried as well..
Is starting with a cheap car necessary?

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Once again, I apologize for the continuous questions.

My feeling is if your introduction to the track is done with a well run safe school like trackmasters or bmw club then I have no problem recomending using the nsx,if you intend to track that car.If you plan on eventualy racing or buying a race car,then you might not want to risk the nsx to learn.Also even though serious shunts are the exception not the rule you must be able to go on track with the acceptence that you might crunch the car and you can deal with it emotionaly and financialy,this means talking to your ins. agent and making sure that they will cover track schools.In my years on the learning curve I have spun numerous times,and was lucky not to hit anything solid!sometimes the cause is oil on the track ,something you can not prepare for.If you are worried or anxious about xpo this year,don't fret,we cater to the begginer and never evers.

Tiger:
I only car I've ever had on the track has been the NSX. I feel its a great car to learn with because it's so balanced.
Yes I've had a few spins ( part of the learning process) but I've always kept it on the track (well maybe not always I think Doc John will remember lime rock)...no dings no dents.
To date I've done 100 track days. Can I drive other makes at speed, yes of course, but only after a few laps at 5/10's.
Tiger, when you're with an instructor, he or she wil control your speed and usually keep you out of harm's way.
All the stupid things I've done on the track have happened when I'm alone.
John's absolutely correct about enrolling with a safe organization like Trackmasters or BMWCCA. Trackmasters has a novice school
in late May at Watkins Glen. You should enroll soon as spaces fill up quickly www.trackmasters.com. BMWCCA will be impossible to enroll due to it's popularity with the BMW crowd. If you'de like to call me about this 914 242 7474 X307.

That fact that you are very concerned tells me you will be one of the more meticulous / safe people out there.

Your fears are justified and you can not control all the variables on a race track (oil, conditions, other drivers, mechanical, etc).

You can prepare by learning, listening, and properly preparing yourself and your car. The NSX is a very safe car and if the worst were to happen - I could not think of a better track worthy car I would rather be in (well maybe a new M5 with all the side and front airbags) but you get the point. Also - IMO - pick your first tracks wisely. I have spent many days at Gingerman in Michigan with CGI and this is a very forgiving track - with plenty of room to experiment and explorer. I have spun there several times with no risk to myself or others. My other track is in St. Louis at Gateway international. This track has one place (on the entire track) where you MIGHT not hit a wall if you make a bad mistake. It is the exact opposite of Gingerman from a car safety standpoint. I would pick a smaller (slower) road course with plenty of grass run off room like Gingerman over an oval / infield course like Gateway with walls everywhere - every single time.

Just remember - the novice who turns the fastest lap in the first session is always the person to hit something and trash his car. The people who are the slowest and most attentive in class are the fastest on the last session and the safest too.

Being in a driver's school can be an enjoyable, safe, and educational experience. For those with the means (it is not cheap in ANY car) and the maturity it can be very rewarding.

matteni said:

the novice who turns the fastest lap in the first session is always the person to hit something and trash his car. The people who are the slowest and most attentive in class are the fastest on the last session and the safest too.
Nick, this sounds like a good question for the next NSX poll! Which one were you? ;)
Bob

Thank you so much for the valuable recommendations and suggestions. I will think about this carefully and find a solace in my mind.

Once again, I appreciate your time.

Peter:
I am planning to attend the SCDA's event at the New Hampshire International on May 24 since it's close to where I live. So this may interfere with the schedule at the Glen. However, I am trying to attend the events at Lime Rock and Glen eventually this year. I have the full schedule with me.

1BADNSX said:
Nick, this sounds like a good question for the next NSX poll! Which one were you? ;)
Bob

I was probably in the later group - allthough I admit to having had several lapses in judgement through the years of NSX ownership (on and off the race track) that I fortunately have not paid for (other then with pride and speeding ticket fines).

That said - just like I tell my kids - "do as I say - not as I do!"

;)

Two things I learned one for and one against:

1) until I tracked the car I did not know how close to the edge I was pushing it in my daily drives.

2) the NSX is fast and capable stock; but once you had a taste of being in front it is toooooo tempting to mod to stay there and/or chase even faster guys.

One thing I learned neither for or against:
1) Don't race (I don't mean track here), don't race it unless you can walk away from it. That may be one reason your friend recommended getting a junker.

One thing that I recommend: Start out slow. Don't try to set the world on fire. First, learn the track layout, and learn the line. Don't worry if other cars are faster than you are; just let them pass. Once you're comfortable with the line you want to drive, then gradually start to increase your speed (say, 1-2 mph) each lap over the previous one. Don't push yourself or try to go dramatically faster all at once. Stay within your own limits as well as the car's. As you gradually start going faster and faster, be sensitive to the car's behavior, and make adjustments as needed (like moving your braking points earlier, to adjust for the higher speed and longer braking distance). By the end of the school, you will probably be passing cars that had passed you earlier. And you will minimize the chances of an off-track excursion.

One additional recommendation: After you have learned the track layout and the line, get a ride with one of the instructors and see how they do.

Addendum: Let an instructor or experienced NSX driver drive your car with you an the passenger seat. I did that in my early track days with Prime member Guus Toth (he passed away last year) and it was a huge step forward for me.

TigerNSX said:
I am planning to attend the SCDA's event at the New Hampshire International on May 24 since it's close to where I live. So this may interfere with the schedule at the Glen. However, I am trying to attend the events at Lime Rock and Glen eventually this year. I have the full schedule with me.

Hi Tiger,

I realize that NHIS is closer to you but you might want to consider a different track as your first event. You should get Pete's opinion too but my first choice would not be NHIS.

The only car I have tracked has been my NSX and I feel comfortable tracking it but I did go through Skip Barber first before taking it on Road America at NSXPO 2001.

SCDA is running a school at the Glen the first Monday and Tuesday in May if you are interested. I will be up there for that event and if you want to track your car this year at NSXPO you should get as much experience as possible at the Glen.

Follow up with Pete and DocJohn about the best advice since although I have 25 days under my belt I still go to them for help before I do anything.

Bob

RSO 34 said:
Hi Tiger,

I realize that NHIS is closer to you but you might want to consider a different track as your first event. You should get Pete's opinion too but my first choice would not be NHIS.

Bob

Hi, Bob,

Thanks for the advice. Why would you suggest that I cnsider a different track as my first event? I am considering there since it has an event for beginners? Lime Rock is also about 3 hours from me, and have an event in March. Should I try that frist?

Thank you.

I went on NHIS for the first time after having about 10 other events under my belt and felt it was a tough adjustment on the first day. Although by their very nature all tracks are "technical," NHIS posed some challenges to me that left me feeling glad that I had not made that my first track experience.

Naturally, this is just my personal impression but NHIS does have a couple of tricky turns that are extremely unforgiving if you make a mistake (i.e. concrete barriers at track out if you miss your apex or spin). I learned at Lime Rock with Skip Barber and felt that was a good "beginner's" track but that may just be me. I would still encourage you to speak with Pete and DocJohn who have a lot more experience than I do.

One more thing you might want to consider. The classroom instructor for SCDA uses a power point demonstration that is "lifted" from the Skip Barber book "Going Faster." It might be beneficial for you to pick up the book and/or videotape to familiarize yourself with the concepts before you get into the classroom setting. One of my Barber instructors, Carl Lopez, authored the book and I found it to be very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-3731216-2699846?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I personally think NHIS is more forgiving than Lime Rock if you happen to make any mistakes.

I think NHIS is great for beginners as it has almost all types of corner configurations to gain experience from.

Of course it is just my opinion after 1000+ laps at NHIS and 800+ laps at Lime Rock. :)

Thank you so much for your help!!

Back