• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions on the 02'/03' Porsche 911 Turbo

Originally posted by Tom Larkins:
Question-If you drove one from a P dealer did you ask them or did they mention anything about the 03 model.

Lowered 1.5", is that a factory option ?

This was not at a Porsche dealer; it was a private dealer. The 1.5" lowered springs were aftermarket. Car also had a B&B Exhaust, and Techart pedals which the previous owner installed.

From the little research I've done, it seems like there is really no difference between the 02' and 03'; other than $15-20K
wink.gif

Awais,

Don't get in too much of a hurry. I will have my TT NSX soon and then you can see what it does. 996 TT has great power but with all of the options of FI coming for the NSX, there will definitely be some really hot cars.

Tim

This is old news but the 996 TT will flat out blow the NSX away in every performance department ..oh and get this so does the 96 993 TT.

I drove my friends '02 996TT with the aero kit about a month ago. The car's acceleration is simply incredible. Anybody familiar with the Pasadena freeway in Southern California knows that some of the onramps onto the freeway are extremely short. In fact, some stop you right at the entrance into the right lane of the freeway so you have to make sure no one is on the right lane before you merge onto the freeway. No problem with the turbo as cars that were passing us while we were stopped were quickly in our rear view mirror as we passed them in a matter of seconds. The only things I didn't like about the turbo were the long shift throws and long clutch travel compared with the NSX. Also the speedometer is useless when you're accelerating hard because the numerical markings are so far apart. I guess that's why the car also comes with a digital speedometer. I'm wondering how a supercharged NSX will fare against a 996TT. As my car is bone stock, it would have been an embarassment if we raced.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

From the numbers I've seen on most SC NSXs, I think the 996 TT would beat in acceleration.

I did some homework on mods one can do to a 996TT and for less than $5K, you can get it to over 500 HP; with a few bolt on mods like intake/exhaust/chip.

Originally posted by CChung:
The only things I didn't like about the turbo were the long shift throws and long clutch travel compared with the NSX.

I, too, was surprised at how long the throws are on a stock 996TT, but it's nothing a good short-shifter couldn't fix.

Originally posted by O-Ace:
I, too, was surprised at how long the throws are on a stock 996TT, but it's nothing a good short-shifter couldn't fix.

I agree, the stock shift action is awful on the turbos. I put in a B&N Short Shifter, took an hour and cost $300.00....much better. The OEM linkage is cheap plastic....

Originally posted by O-Ace:
...if I had to pick one, I'd go with the Turbo ...[This message has been edited by O-Ace (edited 10 January 2003).]

We know you are going to pick one Awais. The question, bro, is when. Enough test-driving. Time to take the plunge when the deals are still good...que no.
smile.gif

Regards.

I have a 1999 996 cab, and at times I am dissapointed with it...esp the cheap interior. But I now find it quite driveable. When I considered it at purchase a year ago, I was also looking at a 97 NSX.

I really like having the top down as it is my weekend stress reliever. I went to the beach this last weekend and saw a 2000 yellow NSX that has 12k miles on it, comptech exhaust, and upgraded wheels. They want $63,900. It was a hoot to drive, but in all my Carrera was is more of a no brainer for jelling out.

The top was off on the NSX, and there was some wind buffeting. Any cure? I may still pull the trigger on it. Also...is removing the top a one man job?

Originally posted by Kevin Deal:
I have a 1999 996 cab, and at times I am dissapointed with it...esp the cheap interior.

I found the inside of my 1999 to be quite tastefully done. What factory options do you have?

The top was off on the NSX, and there was some wind buffeting. Any cure?

Yes, you simply need to insert the factory plugs to reduce wind buffeting if you perceive it to be a problem.

I may still pull the trigger on it. Also...is removing the top a one man job?

Yes.

Regards.

I had a Yellow '98 NSX for about a year. It's the best car I've ever owned. (Formerly that title was held by my '90 300ZX)

Just came back from a Florida vacation where I test drove an '02 996 TT.

To my genuine surprise the salesman handed me the keys and said "Bring it back when you're done". It took a lot of effort but when I brought it back (I know, stupid me (grin)) I managed to wipe that stupid grin off my face before he came outside to get his car back. Otherwise I might have had to buy it on the spot.

I owned an '83 911 Turbo. It was a beast but with the turbo lag not that much fun to drive. The lag on the new TT is almost non-existent.

Holy Moly Batman, what an awesome ride.

Originally posted by Lud:
I disagree with your "pro" statement that Acura has "great dealers." SOME are indeed great, while some are horrible. I've met both, but I'd be hesitant to characterise an entire brand's dealers based on my experience with just one or two franchises.

With all due respect Lud, you haven't experienced lackluster dealers until you have been in a Porsche Dealership!

I have owned Porsches of one kind or another for the past 25+ years, that is until I sold the 911 for an NSX, and the 15 or so dealerships I've used in 4 different states are by far THE WORST!!! I get more attention at the GMC dealer when I bring in my truck than I ever did at any Porsche Dealership and this coming from a guy who mispent 5 youthful years in the car business.

You will rarely if ever see a loan car at a Porsche dealer. They can't even spell CSI and there is almost nothing that costs less than 2X than a comparable NSX part not to mention the typically German attitude (no offense intended to our German Bretheran).

Porsche has only ever made enthusiasts cars, at least until that UGLY Cayene comes out. We'll see how Porsche service goes over with the Lexus/Acura/Mercedes "Soccer Moms", I say it won't fly, but only time will tell!

Don't get me wrong Porsche makes great cars and has driven new standards in performance through the years, but their dealers are well below the standards set by Luxury car makers such as Lexus, Mercedes and Acura.

------------------
97 NSX-T Black/Tan
00 Mercedes 430CLK (Cab)
93 Cadillac Allante (Northstar) - For Sale
98 GMC Sierra
00 HD Dyna WideGlide
83 Cessna 303 (Crusader)

[This message has been edited by Paul65K (edited 28 January 2003).]

I have to agree with Paul....awful is the understatement for Porsche dealers customer service. I had a dealer bitch me out when I complained to PCNA....the service manager called me up and starting shouting at me! My car had been in 4 times for the same problem. So obviously I was the a**hole...Great cars though, when I take my turbo to the track, it destroys all other cars out there.

I've had my car serviced by four different Acura dealers (out of ten) in the Chicago/Milwaukee area and all have been just fine.

Lud lives in a small market with one Acura dealer. Perhaps the dealer service is better where there is competition?

I will put my Acura dealer experience against any Porsche dealer experience! I don't want to clutter this thread, but feel free to e-mail me.

I'm sure competition (or the lack thereof) is a factor, but I know of other extremely poor Acura dealers in markets with more competition so it's not the only factor. It really comes down to the owner and GM.

Back